iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID Help

Started by nybhh, August 31, 2021, 03:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nybhh

I had a tree uproot itself recently due to all the rain we've had and I haven't been able to ID it.  I've been staring at this little group of trees for years as these are some of the only unidentified trees left on our property.  @Old Greenhorn has seen them and wasn't sure either.  The best I've come up with is a Quaking Aspen, Populus tremuloides or an Eastern Cottonwood Populus deltoides but neither are very common in this area.  We've opened this area up quite a bit the past several years which is why they are such q-tips.

Anyway, the smallest tree in that bunch is a young red oak I'm thinking about releasing and I'm going to mill up a few logs I salvaged from the blow-down but I wanted to try and ID them before I make a final decision.

Thanks.

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

HemlockKing

A1

nybhh

Thanks @HemlockKing 
The leaves look exactly like them in my "Field Guide to Trees" book but they don't have that white bark that I always associate with west coast/Rocky Mountain aspens.  Are they the same species?

moodnacreek

If it grew here it would be quaking aspen or if up high big tooth, all the same to me.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

HemlockKing

Quote from: nybhh on August 31, 2021, 03:37:18 PM
Thanks @HemlockKing
The leaves look exactly like them in my "Field Guide to Trees" book but they don't have that white bark that I always associate with west coast/Rocky Mountain aspens.  Are they the same species?
As they mature the bark goes from
White to grayish. I'd go with the quaking aspen, I have lots of big tooth aspens on my land, their bark is much more ridgy, very similar leaf though, to be honest though, I can't make out the bark well from the pictures. I'm no forester so don't take my word written in stone, but I do know the trees I have on my land like the back of my hand, aspen one of them lol 
A1

HemlockKing

Here's a brute of a big tooth aspen on my land, I'm over 6ft tall and I can't wrap my arms full length around it either. Pretty rare to see one around here this big! 

A1

nybhh

Thank you all.  In agree that it is a quaking aspen and the leaves do flutter like crazy at the smallest of breezes.  They were just never on my radar as it just isn't a common tree around here.  I think we're going to take down the three around the oak and leave the foreground left on just over my loader arm.  I half expected them to all topple over with the 4.5" of rain we had yesterday.  The root ball is pretty small for how top-heavy these are.

What is the lumber like on these?  They're only about 12-14", nothing like that brute, but will make a few clear boards for sure.  

These two foreground logs show a better view of the bark.  The top one is wet where I hosed off the mud from dragging it out.

Thank You Sponsors!