The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Price to pull tranny, replace transfer case & torque converter, labor only  (Read 957 times)

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
alrighty, just wondering which ya guys think is a reasonable price to do that on an 04 chev 2500? No parts, they just provided the labor. It has the allison tranny. Replaced the front and rear tranny seals also. thanks

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Price to pull tranny, replace transfer case & torque converter, labor only
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 10:09:23 PM »
If you came to my shop I'd charge $1250 labor for pulling the trans and replacing the front and rear seals. I'd probably add another hour for replacing the transfer case and torque converter at the same time for a total of $1375+tax.

This is assuming I was selling you the transfer case and torque converter. If you were supplying parts the labor would be higher.....actually more than likely I would decline the whole job.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 10:16:16 PM »
in this area  independent mechanic shops are about $100 +- per hr.. The dealer shops are pushing $125-150 per hr.    The small at home mechanics are about $75 +-.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 11:15:20 PM »
I'd guess 8 hours to pull the trans, replace seals, and reinstall. Add an hour for monkeying with the transfer case (praying the bolts aren't corroded into the aluminum and cause a fit). 

So 9 hours at 125 an hour is $1125. 

Like Alan said thats assuming I'm sourcing the parts. If your bringing parts in then I most likely would turn down the job. Had a few too many jobs come back when the customer sourced poor quality parts. Only exception to that rule for me is aftermarket parts that are known good quality (ex Air Dog lift pump on a cummins).

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 12:06:50 AM »
Thanks everyone thus far.

They don't supply any parts. Customer buys them. They said $1,100. 

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 03:00:27 PM »
I tried replacing a fuel pump by dropping the tank, ran into problems I couldn't handle without the proper tools so nursed it to a shop. They installed my aftermarket pump but it failed two days later. They were good about it, exchanged the pump themselves and got me going but I paid the additional labor. Lesson duly noted and filed for future reference. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »
I tried replacing a fuel pump by dropping the tank, ran into problems I couldn't handle without the proper tools so nursed it to a shop. They installed my aftermarket pump but it failed two days later. They were good about it, exchanged the pump themselves and got me going but I paid the additional labor. Lesson duly noted and filed for future reference. ::)
Exactly. I wish I could say the parts we install never fail (or turn out to not fit) but at least if we're the ones that sold the parts there's no question on who is paying for it (us). Just suck it up, get another part coming, do it again for free and move on to the next job.
When it's a customer's part you have to let them know and then they have to go back to wherever they bought it and get another one. In the meantime (sometimes days) you could have a hoist tied up with a disassembled car waiting for them to get the replacement part.

Had a Subaru come in last week with a bad alternator. Customer had replaced it himself 2 months ago. He asked if we'd install the warrantied alternator if he brought it in. We told him we would and then waited a week for him to get it and bring it to us. Not a big deal since the car wasn't torn apart and was sitting out in the parking lot but we can't deal with that stuff on a regular basis.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Share Post
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 11:24:47 PM »
A couple of years ago the in-tank fuel pump failed on my F350 dually.  I had to have it towed in to a independent shop where it had been worked on several times.  When they called to tell me it was ready, I was shocked when I went to pick it up.

The mechanic explained that my 40 gallon fuel tank was almost full so they had to drain it, which took awhile, then one of the tank straps was corroded so they had to replace that, as I recall the fuel pump was a bit over $100, then they had to reinstall the tank, and refill it, which took most of the day.  I said that certainly explained why the labor costs were so high.  I then opened the driver's door and pressed the button which raised the flatbed dump to its full extension and where you could reach the top of the fuel tank by hardly bending over.  How he missed the frame-mounted hydraulic pump, or the huge hydraulic lifting cylinder and scissor mechanism, while laying under the truck remains a mystery.  smiley_speechless
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
Tom, everyone misses easy stuff periodically. We’ve ALL done it. Lord help me I know that I have. 

Similar to the time I thought my chainsaw oil pump went out. Turns out I forgot to put bar oil in (kinda helps to lube BC combo with oil :embarassed:).
Trying harder everyday.

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
I had to have the fuel pump replaced on my 05 F-450 flatbed.  The PO welded in a receiver hitch on the rear, and you can't get to the bolts so you could lift up the flatbed.  So luckily the gas tank was very low when the pump quit, and I got a friend to help me tow the truck to the shop.  Bill was 826. plus change.  Price of pump was over 500.  Now the truck starts quicker and has more power at low speed, so turned out to be good to replace it.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 08:19:41 AM »
I did get them to come to an even $1,000. 

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 09:00:18 PM »
That would have been an interesting conversation to hear:
"I asked around and everyone said they'd charge more than you. Do you think you could do it for less?"
Alan

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 10:30:03 PM »
That would have been an interesting conversation to hear:
"I asked around and everyone said they'd charge more than you. Do you think you could do it for less?"
Alan
:D oh it was good. For us anyways.  ;D
It was cash, so there's that also

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Torque converter pullapart

Started by JustinW_NZ on Forestry and Logging

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2018, 12:48:31 AM
by JustinW_NZ
xx
Coupling/torque converter

Started by MakitaCS on Chainsaws

12 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 08:21:42 PM
by MakitaCS