The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Zero turns mowing wet grass?  (Read 1031 times)

Online Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
Re: Zero turns mowing wet grass?
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2021, 10:19:42 PM »
Watch market place and craigslist.  Some homeowners sell commercial mowers with low hours.  I missed out on two because I was too slow before landing my Kubota.  It had 125 hours, excellent condition, and half the price of a new one.

If you see one move fast as it will be gone in just a few hours.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 11:23:19 PM »
I bought a used Country Clipper 52" deep deck, jazzy pro model, thing is a hog, will cut anything.  I hook the chute up, and can't clog it up.  Hauled it around to different water ways to cut cockle burs.  Seems you have to mow cockle burs late, as they grow again if you cut them early.  Cut them late, they don't have time to grow up and make burs. The country clipper is made so you can tip the deck up and wash it out or work on the blades.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 05:14:28 AM »
the buddy i know (K state educated lawncare guy) that recommended the walker, replaces engines and lots of parts.  there is a good dealer in Wichita that can do major overhaul stuff.  If too far gone he gets another and keeps the old one for a spare or trades.

Here is the reason mine usually gets clogged.  wet grass and a stick or weed.

cleans out easy enough.  I have has this one about 5 years and it should last me the rest of my mowing life.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2021, 07:14:05 AM »
Most cutters run them until they start to get unreliable. If it's basic stuff, the mower can be made into a decent homeowner machine. Past the time when it can run 10 hrs a day all week, but fine for a guy doing his own lawn. Assuming that is that the mower received basic maintenance. Wouldn't want to end up with a mower that never had the hydros serviced. Some cutters are good on maintenance, some never even check the oil. Each mower has it's own unique history, so it's hard to generalize.

I wouldn't buy a mower with more than 1500 hours on it, regardless of price. Many guys will take them up to 2500-3000 hours, at which point serious repairs are just around the corner.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2021, 07:22:46 AM »
Zero turn mowers are pretty much just a couple hydraulic pumps (one for each rear wheel) and engine to drive them.  If there is anything wrong with them, it is a scrap pile unit.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline zippski

• Barrister-at-Lawg
    • Share Post
    • J. Leigh Daboll, Barrister & Solicitor
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2021, 12:44:58 PM »
Especially if you can find an affordable used one, you simply cannot go wrong with Kubota ZD1211 zero turn.  I have had one for several years and it consistently mows 5 acres of farm and residence lawns on a weekly basis in any condition (wet or dry) without any problems.

The best thing I ever did was invest in a 60" rear discharge commercial deck with mulching blades  Bullet proof and soooo much easier to mow in any direction without building up grass windrows or clumping.  Actually, the rear discharge deck is imperative for me because of the incredibly steep hills I mow with the machine limits travel directions.  Many Saturdays I attract quite a crowd of onlookers on the road looking upward while I mountain-goat the machine up and down the super steeps I have to mow every week.  (Note: the ups are usually ok, but on the downs, I can be travelling pretty darn fast at the bottom even with both drive wheels running in full reverse :D  I am not sure how steep I could actually mow but my comfort zone has expanded every year along with the mowed acreage of my domain.

Anyway, if you can find a way to swallow the entry fee, not only do you have a 15-20 year mower, you have one with superior trade value.

Mowers - Zero-Turn Mowers - ZD1211-3-60 | Kubota (kubotausa.com)

Leigh
zippski

Leigh
zippski

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2021, 01:29:50 PM »
I agree, we got our especially for mowing slopes, but we use it for everything we don't bush hog.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Online Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2021, 02:33:18 PM »
The reason I bought that Cub Cadet, with the steerable front wheels was because of mowing slopes.  

I've pulled regular zero-turns out of the lake.  For those that don't know, the front wheels on a regular zero-turn just caster.  If the back wheels start sliding, the front wheels just say, "okay, we're going that way".

With the steerable front wheels, if the back wheels slide a little bit, the front wheels are sort of self-correcting, and it will just go up the hill at a slight angle.

I don't really have any super steep hills, but that picture of the shoreline was the first time it had ever been cut with anything but a string trimmer.  I did pull a regular zero-turn off the rip-rap before, that had slid sideways because the operator thought he could make it.

The rear end is a regular zero-turn, with the largest size Parker hydraulic drive units, and 26" tall tires. They are tied to the steering system for the front wheels.  You can drive right straight up to something, turn the front wheels 90 degrees, and the rear wheels will counterrotate, just like if you were using regular sticks, not touching what you just drove straight up to.

The first day I brought it home, I drove it the mile to the nearest store to fill it up.  They have a fairly steep hill on the road front.  Not only did it hold the hill fine, but at the end of the pass, I just did a zero turn, and came back the other way.  When I got to the other end, I turned, and went straight up the hill. That was with the turf tire that came on it.  It didn't feel like it came close to slipping on that hill in the picture, but that was the steepest I know of, around here.

They make one with dual rear wheels, but I drive a dually, and figured I'd try the single rear wheels first.   I thought I'd add the other wheels if I needed them, but so far, don't see any need even for more grippy tires, than the turf tires.

In that waterfront picture with the rock, I drove it down onto the rock-used the hand brake, turned around, and cleaned off the side of the slope around that rock.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2021, 02:59:43 PM »
I learned my limits with a Kubota BX2670, a conventional tractor, on slopes. Ran into the fence which held, it would have been ugly had it not
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2021, 07:02:02 AM »
Yup, what's at the bottom of a hill is more important than how steep it is. If it softly levels out, then an unplanned ride isn't a big deal. But a serious drop off or going for a swim can be life threatening.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mowing

Started by Darrel on General Board

8 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 09:32:28 PM
by Darrel
xx
mowing around walnuts

Started by OneWithWood on Ask The Forester

2 Replies
Last post October 15, 2003, 10:43:40 AM
by OneWithWood