iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sapping the moisture out of the log

Started by welderskelter, September 14, 2021, 06:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

I cut some trees and left the log intact. Going to leave them till the leaves dry up. Hopefully that will draw sap out of the log, and my firewood. Does anybody have any thoughts as to how much this might help?

HemlockKing

Just use a vacuum cleaner with the noozle and suck the sap out the end grain!  ;D

A1

moodnacreek

With the butt cut off the stump and the top still on it will draw up sap. Should be dry enough for firewood.

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

newoodguy78

It's not as good as getting it cu ahead of time but I have done and noticed a difference. Certainly not going to hurt

tawilson

I do know that if you pluck a leave off the tree it dries up by the next day. It takes a week or so for them to dry up after you cut the tree down so they are getting moisture from somewhere. It certainly does no harm.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

mike_belben

If you cut a wet tree down in spring right at emergence it will still leaf out as if its on the stump. Maple is particularly good at that.  Locust logs will actually shoot little epicormic branches right out of a log while laying in a pile. 
Praise The Lord

Don P

There is a scandinavian name for this, which escapes me. In the south we just call it blue stain, but that's not going to hurt firewood. In air drying lumber some cells are living for weeks.

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on September 14, 2021, 09:43:20 AM
If you cut a wet tree down in spring right at emergence it will still leaf out as if its on the stump. Maple is particularly good at that.  Locust logs will actually shoot little epicormic branches right out of a log while laying in a pile.
Epicormic branches huh. You never stop amazing me.  Them are called suckers!

stavebuyer

It will work to keep the bark from slipping on White Oak in the growing season. I don't think it will affect the heartwood moisture content.

Don P

Good point, the leaves are sucking up through the xylem in the sapwood, that's about the only direct connection. Then I think its just back to diffusion drying which is faster with the cover knocked off.

doc henderson

the problem may be that when the leaves start to fail after cutting, they can seal themselves off from the tree.  this happens every fall.  the cut off at the joint where they will eventually separate from the tree.  we had a tool called "the bomb" when I did research at the University of Kansas, On a Kansas weed (no not that weed).  you put the plant in the chamber leaves down, and sealed around the stem with it sticking out of the tool.  you then pressurized the chamber and when sap started to push out of the stem, this reflected the negative pressure that transpiration had developed in the plant.  equal and opposite forces.  I do not think you can fit a tree in a chamber to withstand positive pressure, but maybe apply negative pressure to the fresh cut stump.  I agree it will only pull moisture from the intact open tubes.  like pulling sap for sugaring.  fun to try but not practical.  might work better on the log rather than the tree.  you can sometimes blow through a stick.  If I run out of projects, I might give it a try. 8) :)
I also had an elm log produce healthy looking leaves along the stump on the up side and they lasted for months, presumably from stored fluid and sugar.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Quote from: moodnacreek on September 14, 2021, 06:39:19 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on September 14, 2021, 09:43:20 AMEpicormic branches huh. You never stop amazing me.  Them are called suckers!
Epicormic branches from adventitious buds  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

just rolls off the tongue!   :o :D :P :)
Adventitious buds!  guess that makes us friends Danny!  God Bless.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moodnacreek

Quote from: WDH on September 15, 2021, 10:30:04 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on September 14, 2021, 09:43:20 AMEpicormic branches huh. You never stop amazing me.  Them are called suckers!
Epicormic branches from adventitious buds  ;D.
To produce bird's eye locust :)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mike_belben on September 14, 2021, 09:43:20 AM
If you cut a wet tree down in spring right at emergence it will still leaf out as if its on the stump. Maple is particularly good at that.  Locust logs will actually shoot little epicormic branches right out of a log while laying in a pile.
Epicormic branches huh. You never stop amazing me.  Them are called suckers!
WDH has been wearing me down over the years and I am starting to use some of (his) proper terminology here and there. Epicormic is the term that stuck first and hardest with me. I often can't remember an old friends name right away, but for some reason I have no problem recalling that term and I do trot it out from time to time. Now the parts of the leaves, lobe shapes, buds, bumps, and other stuff, well, I don't know that I will ever get that right. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!