iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dodge A/C problem

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 15, 2005, 01:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Went to use the A/C on the dually tother day. Didn't work???

Ed took a look while I flipped the switch a few times. Found out the compressor will turn, but, the 3 fingers on the clutch are broken, so the clutch won't engage the compressor.

Been online and no-one sells just the clutch.???  Any ideas, besides welding and re-inforcing the arms ???  $300.00 for a compressor when only needing $5.00 worth of flat metal, seems a little much, EH ??? 

Ideas anyone???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Part_Timer

a junk yard should sell just the clutch.  should be priced right
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Fla._Deadheader

I thought about that. Question is, what shape will the used one be in???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Part_Timer

It's a crap shoot on what condition it is in but if the price is right maybe it could buy you some time till you get a better solution figured out.   I bet you probably need that ac down there by this time of the year :D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

sawwood

Need to know what year and model you have. What Motor do you have Fla ?
Will seewhat we have but you should be able to git just the coil and clutch.
I work for a Jeep dealer so may be able to come up with one.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Fla._Deadheader

'97 Cummins Turbo. No-one sells just the clutch, and I didn't have enuff nerve to call Dodge Bros. and get a heart attack quote.

Rat now, it's in the 70's with a 25 MPH Northeast wind. Brrrr ;D ;D ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

Harrold

I have one here for a 91 cummins If the dang thing will fit I can have it in the mail on monday for ya .... I had to cut the thing off when I changed the motor in my dodge so only good for parts ... If you want it its yours .....  ;)....   It was running when I took it out ... Its all there but it's missing some metal where it was attached to the motor  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Tanks Marcell. I gotta do sum investigatin ta see if it'll werk. ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sawwood

Fla will check to see if that 91 will fit your 97 , our parts should be able
to see if it will. Also will check and see what my cost will be on it and
let you know on Monday. I will also check some of the used parts
stores and see what they have.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

SwampDonkey

My A/C went within a week and also the cruise control. It was a computer chip that controlled the whole works. Got it under warrantee, but just the same, wasn't impressed. The technician said the chip was cracked.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Well let this yooper know , I'll start fishing for it ...  I know its around here somewhere ....  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Rockn H

If you have a Crow-Burlingame (Bumper to Bumper) parts store there they should have just the clutch, ours here carries them.

Fla._Deadheader

Auto Zone, Discount Auto and a "regular" parts store, where da gal don't know nuttin ::) ::).

Might could go to the beach and check on one of them Cuban truck-boats. They tie barrels and innertubes on their trucks and drive 'em on over here. :o

Nobody has just the clutch. Online, I found Volvo clutches, but nuttin fer da Dodge???  It needs to have the serpentine pulley or will match up for one, on the older clutch that Marcel has???
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

Harrold , mine has da serpentine pully  eh? . I'll go looking for it and I could take it apart and send you the parts ... If you think they will fit ....  I could take a picture of it , but that will afta waait till Sunday evening when the camera gets back .
When I find it I will do some mesuring and get back to you ...

Marcel

isawlogs

Harrold

It was not hard to find , its still attached to the parts truck  ;D .  If my clutch will fit yours it will be easier to send , I'll take the thing apart and send you what you need . I aint ever going to use it , dont really need A/C here ... need a heater a darn good one at that , there is still some ice and snow here , Its mostly all gone but the snow bank that I had built up is still there . There is frost on the windows of the cars this morning ....  So A/c is not really a part that I need for the three days of heat that we get ....

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Marcel. No place open today to find out if it will fit.  Sawwood said he would check, also. I will get back to you. Really appreciate the help. 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

Funny how you need the cold now ..... ;D  And I would need a little heat...  :D

Marcel

Rockn H

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 16, 2005, 06:05:23 AM

Auto Zone, Discount Auto and a "regular" parts store, where da gal don't know nuttin ::) ::).

I know how you feel.  The other day my regular parts store was out of the gear oil I wanted, sooo.  I went to Auto Zone and asked for a 5 gallon bucket of 85W140.  The young man said he didn't know, but he thought they had some kind of oil in a bucket, didn't think it was 5 gallons though.  Well we went and looked and what do you know a whole stack of 5 gallon buckets full of 85W140.  I'm not a negative person by nature, just a dry sense of humor sometimes. ::)  But you know all I could think was, how do you get a job in a parts store and not even know what a 5 gallon bucket looks like? ;D

etat

I called my dad after a new belt for my ladervator (shingle lift) one time while we was a working.  I'd done told him the size belt I needed.  When he got to autozone they kept asking him what he needed it for and I understand he told em it was for a 'motorized wheelbarrow' ;D, and to forget that dang computer and get their tails over there and read the sizes on them belts and hand him one and he'd pay for it.  He's a lot bigger than me and I reckon they listened to him cause wasn't long before he pulled up on the job with my new belt! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Rockn H

You reminded me cktate of why I try not to go there. ;D  A few years back I went in one saturday evening for a wheel bearing on my '61 CJ5.  Well that computer showed the part number, but said it wasn't available.   So I say give me one for a '71 CJ5.  That computer showed the same part number and what do you know they had three of em. ??? smiley_angry smiley_fused_bomb

Fla._Deadheader

Ed has a GMC Yukon (big Blazer type). He needed a ball joint for the upper drivers side. Parts place says, nope. Ya gotta buy the whole upper a-frame with the ball joint. No other way to get one. He went to another place and bought a ball joint for a Chevy pickup. Came home and we had it changed in 1 hour. ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

An hour for a ball joint, not bad!
Coulda used ya last weekend!

Fla._Deadheader

We have lots of 'sperence changin ball joints. ::) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

Harrold
  ...   You still driving around with a bag of ice behind the fan ....  ;) ;D

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah Marcel. It's gettin so hot, I stayed home all day. ::) :D :D :D

Been waitin to hear from Sawwood.  ??? ???  If ya wanna send it, I'll take the chance it will fit. Thanks
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

What do you need ..... I'll take it apart or send you the hole thing ... but taking it apart might be easyer to send ...
Harrold ... I can take a picture of it and send it to you  email ... you might be able to tell if the dang thing will fit or not ...

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Marcel, excellent idea. Send a pic. Only want the clutch. No need for the compressor.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Avalancher

Quote from: Rockn H on April 16, 2005, 10:41:04 PM
Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 16, 2005, 06:05:23 AM

I know how you feel.  The other day my regular parts store was out of the gear oil I wanted, sooo.  I went to Auto Zone and asked for a 5 gallon bucket of 85W140.  The young man said he didn't know, but he thought they had some kind of oil in a bucket, didn't think it was 5 gallons though.  Well we went and looked and what do you know a whole stack of 5 gallon buckets full of 85W140.  I'm not a negative person by nature, just a dry sense of humor sometimes. ::)  But you know all I could think was, how do you get a job in a parts store and not even know what a 5 gallon bucket looks like? ;D

You think thats bad, try this one. Several years ago the block on my pickup cracked, and after many years of running around patched with JB weld I decided it was time to replace the block with a short block.Went to Autozone, they had the best price( I know, you get what you pay for) and ordered the block. I explained that I would not be trading in the old block at the time, I had to haul the new one home with the truck, and would swap it out and then return the old block, even though I told them the old block was cracked.
They called 3 days later, told me that the block was in. Stopped after work, and asked the little guy behind the counter for my block, showed him the receipt. He said alright, and went to look on the shelf were incoming parts are kept. I couldnt figure out what he was looking for on a shelf, surely not a block. He finally asked someone, they said its around back on the dock.
I go around back, and there is a crate with my name on it. I wait for 15 minutes and then walk around the front. Talk to the same litle guy. "Hey, can I get someone with a forklift or something?" He looked puzzled and asked what I need a forklift for. I said "The block that I bought, I cant just pick it up and throw it in the back by myself" He said, okay, Ill help you. Led me through the store out back. Looked around and asked me, "what did you do with it?"
With what?
the block
You are leaning against it dummy.
oh,,,,,,,,,long pause,,,,,,,,,
I guess we need some more people,,,,,,,,
Needless to say he got the manager who came out with the portable engine lift and the block was lowered into the pickup bed and I left shaking my head.
Needed a block, got a blockhead instead :D

Thank You Sponsors!