iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RV Trippin'

Started by aigheadish, January 24, 2022, 03:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Yea Mt Washington. I am a few hours from there, did it a couple years ago. Very odd, the trees get smaller as you go up. 
Everything is normal and then it's like someone switched a light off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

The Kangamangus Highway goes through a National Forest not far from Mt Washington.  Many, many, camping sites and a lot of scenic hiking trails that you could go on.  It's a very comfortable place to spend time.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Time is drawing close. How goes it with your plans?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

Ha! Ya know, I've got the first week planned pretty well, but I can't get myself to work out the second week... The kids want to see the beach and we could swing down your way on the way to some New Jersey boardwalk. I don't know yet, really. 

It is getting here quick! If you are holding up other plans because you said I could park in your driveway please don't and know that I hugely appreciate the offer. I like the idea of seeing you and some of the stuff in your neck of the woods but I'm struggling to figure out really where I need to be and when I need to be heading back towards home. 

I'll try to give you a firm answer this week, unless you already have other things you'd like to do (and please let me know, I won't be offended and I'm well aware that my plans, or lack of, shouldn't hold you up). 

If it helps at all it looks like we'd be your way on the 20th, driving in from Mt. Washington. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

No problem at all either way. I just have to make sure that electrical hookup is working OK. My son tells me it is not. I could just drop a cord from the shop, it's close enough.
 I asked the question just to see if time had allowed you to hone in on some further plans for that second week is all. I am good either way. Just hoping you have an epic trip. No I have no plans hinging around that time, which is why it works well for us.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

aigheadish

Thanks Tom, as I know you are, we're very busy right now and it's hard for me to stare at a map for a couple hours to make some choices. I'll let you know! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

aigheadish

@Old Greenhorn

Tom, if you are really up for it I think we'd like to take up your offer for some driveway space. I made an executive decision yesterday, because plans weren't coming together otherwise.

Please, please consider if you don't want us to show up. I don't want you being resentful at the very generous idea and I'll totally understand, you won't hurt my feelings if you've reconsidered. I also don't want you feeling like you've got to babysit some weirdo strangers in your driveway.

I'm thinking we'd be in your neck of the woods afternoon/evening of June 20th and if you are willing we'd stay the 20th and 21st nights? Heading out on the 22nd. I think we'd be interested to see the Woodstock field, maybe the maritime museum you'd mentioned (dang, also closed the days we'd be there!) and I think I saw some weird giant stone sculpture thing (https://opus40.org/ just up the road from you, ah! nevermind, they won't be open!) that looked neat to go see.

Also, I sent an email to the guys at From the Forest, thanking them for the show, and I mentioned that we may be up that way to see some of the places they mention on the show, and Ryan said to let them know if/when we were in the area and to stop by CFA to meet them (I thought that was very nice!), maybe we'd try to see Gary Mead's place too.

I don't have a good sense of how traveling in this beast will really be and how long to expect to spend at different places but I think it'd be cool to hang out up there.

Let me know what you think. Thanks again! And for real, if you've reconsidered please tell me. I think we'd be gracious guests but I don't want to be any trouble. I've hosted folks on my property a handful of times and I never really mind, so long as nothing gets torn up, but I also know sometimes, even under the best circumstances, people don't want company.

Stephen1

your trip looks great and the perfect age to take the kids.
I did a similiar long distance trip years ago in a rented RV.
I discovered you do not go as far as google says you go in a day. Plan on an 40mph average
I also found that it is best to stay 2 nights so that you have a day of sightseeing, otherwise it will seem  like you are doing nothing but driving.
I would spend the 2 weeks doing the trip you have planned out with some sightseeing on the way home.
Have a great trip with the Family.
My daughter still talks about our trip, and I bet it was 20 years ago.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Old Greenhorn

I would not make an offer if I intended to change my mind. Before I even mentioned it, I checked my calendars and also checked with the boss. The offer still stands in full force. I think I can keep those days clear to play tour guide and I note that you will be arriving on a Monday and I will have to do some checking to see what's open. We are in a tourist area but a lot of these places shut down in the early week because their heavy business is on weekends. 
 You've picked a good list of local stuff. I don't know that Ryan, John or [the other fellow] will be in the office for a visit as this is their busiest time of year, but maybe with an appointment? Right across the road from the CFA office is the Delaware & Ulster RR station. I don't know what they have during weekdays. https://durr.org/ Arkville is 30 minutes west of us.
 Opus 40 is also a great choice. I have only been there for music events and never done the tour. My friends are giving a concert there on the 25th. It's 15 minutes north of us on backroads. I note that it is only open Thursday-Monday during the summer.
 I don't know what Woodstock field you speak of. If you meant the '69 concert site, that never happened in Woodstock and took place on Yasgur's dairy farm, 80 miles SW of us in Bethel, NY. More clarification is needed there.
 I see the Maritime Museum is not open on the days you will here here. I have sent a note off to a buddy who sits on the Board of Directors to see if they plan expanded summer hours. Even if they are not 'open' there is always stuff going on and folks working there. Unfortunately, the Apollonia will not be at the dock on those dates. It will be downbound with a cargo load, stopping at Kingston on the 29th during the upbound run.

Knowing the constraints of this sort of trip, things can change on route and you should feel free to adjust your time here as needed. If you decide to skip it altogether I would understand that too. Your family deserves a memorable vacation. Your accommodations here will be spartan, yet comfortable but I want to make sure you know what your are choosing. At this point, I think a phone call is in order for details. My number is on my website, and I KNOW you know where that is. ;D Call me when you can.

I am looking forward to it.

aigheadish

Right on, Tom, thank you! 

I've been looking at stuff to find yes, just about everything is open long weekend hours (if we got there early Monday we may be able to visit some places but I've already booked a campground until Monday morning, in NH). We'll see what that ends up meaning, but I'd imagine we'd be fine with just taking it easy too, we're pretty good at that. I'd be fine just hanging out next to the river near the Maritime Museum, that sounds neat!

The Woodstock field is the one of concert fame, and yeah, I thought I remembered that it wasn't that close to your place.

I'll give you a call sometime, but may text you first, so I don't catch you ankle deep in sawdust at the mill. 

I'm looking forward to it also! It should be pretty cool! I guess I should warn you that I'm a pretty mellow fellow. Regardless, of my interactions here I'm usually pretty quiet and awkward!

Thanks again man! This is neat!

Old Greenhorn

I think you will find me pretty much the same way with a sometimes dark sense of humor (born from my fire and EMS days).
 Actually today is a great day to call as I am laying low trying to get the pain out of my back. I have to get cutting some mushroom logs for an order this week, but no way can I think of that today.

Old Greenhorn

Got an answer back from the Museum. They are discussing adding to the summer hours (just for you) and he expects they will add Wednesday's shortly. That would be the 22nd. Let's see how it all plays out.
 Also, I just went out and checked the RV outlet box I installed in the driveway over 30 years ago. My son mentioned that it has not been usable for a while. Sure enough, I tracked back to some wiring changes in the shop that messed up that circuit and I never noticed it. (The original wiring is a nightmare and I am always finding and correcting errors I find.)  It's fed by an old box with plug fuses, so I have to go fetch some, but it will be back up and running. Hopefully you can live with 20 amps of 220v. If not, I have another plan. (There is always another plan.)

aigheadish

Stephen1- Thank you for the notes! We do plan on 2 days at any of the few "big" stops, I'm figuring the same an afternoon to get settled in a location, a day to see the sights, then sleep in the same place, so we aren't moving too much. 

I've also planned as much backroad driving as possible and taken navigation times and usually added an hour+ to them. I'm a big fan of seeing something weird or neat and slamming on the brakes to stop and check it out. 

OGH- Aww, sweet to the museum! Don't stress about power and the like. We've got the onboard generator if needed. I'm not positive what all needs the rv needs as far as 20amp, I can't imagine we'll do much other than charge phones and run the lights. There isn't a TV or anything in there, though my kids may have something to watch a movie on or something. You're the man! I'll give you a call in a few hours.

Old Greenhorn

I forgot to mention that I also have a couple of WiFi spots you can access, one is in the shop about 30' from your spot, so the kiddos should be good on that score.

JD Guy

Heartily agree with @sawguy21 .
   If you push too hard everyone will be miserable.....guaranteed 😬. Depending on your families habits try to get up in time to have some breakfast and break camp by 0900. You may need to dump tanks so allow time for that. 
   We are retired so don't push each day as long as we once did so about 300 miles is tops for us these days. We like to stop between 3-5 in the afternoon and get setup while there's plenty of daylight then stretch our legs (and the dogs), happy hour and some dinner. 
   Also suggest you plan your itinerary (very important) around that time frame or less depending on how good of travelers your family members are. Make reservations in advance  for your overnights (longer if you intend to stay for awhile in the area).
   Often campgrounds fill up quickly and the last thing that you want to do is be driving late with everyone tired and unable to find a campsite. Ask me how I know these things 😳. With some planning and a realistic time frame and schedule you can make a vacation to remember for the entire family!! Happy Camping!
    PS; You will not make the same average miles per hour in a camper due to fuel and potty stops plus you cannot safely drive as fast as you might normally due in your regular vehicle. 

aigheadish

Thanks JD Guy! So far our biggest driving day will be from the Detroit area to Four Mile Creek State Park, near Niagara Falls, clocking in at ~390 miles, with the average day's drive of 290, mostly backroads (for better or worse). I've got all overnights booked at this point other than one or two coming from OGH's place heading home. Now that I've got those couple days nailed down I hope to find something on the path back without much trouble but we'll see how that goes. Rest areas would be fine if they have to be. I'm already looking forward to Happy Hour!

aigheadish

We've made it to stop one! Pulled in at about 830p. Beautiful!

Oh yeah! Story of my life will be road trips plagued with very, very heavy rains. We snuck out in front of this one by maybe a half hour or so and stayed dry! Good sign! We listened to the radio talking about 60-70 mph winds, at home, and hail and lots of people without power. I'll take it for once!

Old Greenhorn

Well, today is Tuesday, so you must be headed to the Ford Museum. Have a great time! It's June. so expect some afternoon showers as you head east. I don't see any all day rain events in the next week, but that can change. The forecast here is for some Monday night rain and some rain on Tuesday, but that can change a lot in a few days. The maritime Museum did add to their summer hours just this week and will be open on Wednesday's now. Your call if you want to slip that in before you leave town. Drive safe and enjoy the ride. Looks to me like you are settling into it just fine. :D :)

aigheadish

Yup! Ford museum was very neat, unfortunately the Greenfield Village was just open to wandering, none of the buildings were open but it was still cool.

I was seeing rain on Thursday for Niagara falls, hopefully that's changed but we'll be alright even if not.

I think we're a yes for the maritime museum, we've got a short drive for Wednesday nights camping, so we can stay in your neck of the woods until afternoonish. 

Old Greenhorn

That should work. If I get a spare minute during business hours I will give them a call to find out what's going on and see if my buddy on the Board might be there.

Old Greenhorn

I dropped an email to my buddy and he just replied and asked when we would be there. I took a good guess and he says he will try to be there and maybe give us a tour of the museum. Unfortunately the Solaris (one of their tour boats, solar powered) is not running on Wednesday's except for private booked tours. I know he Captains that boat some times, but I don't think it's available or he would have hinted at that. Anyway. Lets see how it goes and take it as it comes.
 The last time I walked through that museum was in '94 and it has come from the 18th to the 21st century since that time. I am looking forward to this.
 I hope this fits into your plans.

aigheadish

Sounds great!

Today was Niagara Falls. It's been good and hot everywhere so far but the good part isn't so much good. We got cooled down in cave of the winds, then I paid 87 dollars for lunch. 

Niagara Falls is neat, it's amazing how much water there can be. I'll try to upload some photos when I have a solid signal. 

Old Greenhorn

Really?! Hot up there hah? Never got over 70 here today and it looked like you had showers pass through a few times so I figured it would cool off quite a bit. We may have a little rain here Tuesday afternoon. Too soon to tell.
 Y'all are on the road again tomorrow for a few hours, right?

aigheadish

Yeah it was 80+ and didn't rain until we were heading back to the campsite. Then it got hot again.

Here's some Niagara Falls! 

aigheadish

The view from our campground was pretty nice too. Four Mile Creek State Park Campground. That's lake Ontario. 

If you looked close you could see Toronto, but the better pictures are on my good camera. 

There's some pretty big critter in the middle of the tree on this, it looked too big to be anything but a small bear but I don't know... 

Thank You Sponsors!