1 Sourwood

2 Catalpa

3 Mimosa

4 Cottonwood

5 Rhododendron

Tillaway

3. Mimosa
5. Rhododendron
4. I think I have one in my yard. Don't have any idea what it is.

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Bro. Noble

2) Catalpa
4)Linden(Basswood) has leaves like that.  Mulbury leaves usually have three lobes , but sometimes look like this also.

Agree with Tillaway on 3 and 5
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

1. Sourwood, Sorrel-tree, Oxydendrum arboreum (Linnaeus) de Candolle

2. Royal Paulownia, Princess tree, Paulownia tomentosa (Thunberg) Steudel.  Note: It could be a Catalpa but I think that is too obvious.

3. ?

4. Red Mulberry, Morus rubra Linnaeus

5. Oleander?
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Corley5

That second one does look like a Catulpa.  I've no idea about the rest.  Mom & Dad have one in their yard that blooms every few years if the weather is right up here.  It never has produced any beans but I think that is because of our shorter growing season.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

y'all are tearin' them up.  

1 sourwood
2 catalpa
3 mimosa
4 I'm not going to tell you yet
5 Rhododendron

CHARLIE

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

No, it's not Basswood.

Hmmmm.  I wonder if Basswood got its name for its use?  Arrow wood was used for arrows, Rubber trees for Rubber......

Do you reckon that Basswood is for fishing Poles? ......or, maybe if you plant one next to a stream they attract fish. :-/

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

No, not birch.  These are big leaves.

Bro. Noble

Tom,

So when are you going to tell us what #4 is?

Noble

Brian_Bailey

#4 looks like Magnolia acuminata L. ( Cucumber Tree ) to me.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Tom

Not a cucumber tree.  Give up Noble?

Don has it labeled as a Cottonwood.

Bro. Noble

Well, I'll be switched!!!

We should have got that.

Noble

Brian_Bailey

# 4 Populus heterophylla L. ( Swamp Cottonwood ),  doesn't grow in my neck of the woods.  That's why I didn't recognize it.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

CHARLIE

My book doesn't have Swamp Cottonwood.  It has Eastern Cottonwood (AKA, Southern Cottonwood and Carolina poplar) but the leaves in my book look different.....unless it was the angle of the camera.  My book also has Black Cottonwood (AKA, California poplar, Balsam Cottonwood, Western balsam poplar) but the leaves are way different.  I'd have never guessed this one. :-/
Charlie

Brian_Bailey

Charlie,

My book shows cottonwood belonging to the poplar genus.  Which has three major groups, aspens, cottonwoods, and balsam poplars.

Swamp Cottonwood ( Populus heterophylla L.) has a distinct heart-shaped at the base of the leaf.  The other cottonwoods don't show this feature. At least that's what my book illustrates.  Brian...

Jeff

Show it to me again with the bark off and one slab off er and I'll guess it. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Hi Guys,
The Tomlin twins have decided to let me back on line...for the moment :D., Got phones in last week only to have a dozer remove them immediately. ::)
 Looks like y'all have been tearing up my tree ID's 8)
To be honest I'm from down south so I was sorta guessing at the cottonwood...While shunpiking my way back up through Indiana I stopped at a riverside park along the Wabash to cool the dog and stretch the truck when I spotted this'un. While shooting the picture Jasper wandered off to the riverbank. I looked up to see him, all four in the air just having the best time. About that time it occured to me that this might not be a good thing, I went to investigate the situation further and sure enough he was rolling in a well fermented fish. Don't know if y'all have heard the term Wabash Cannonball...he has...twice :D
The last 100 posts and more are new to me, it'll take awhile to catch up. :P

ADfields

#4 is black cottonwood.   It is found from California all the way to Alaska and is the bigest trunk size tree in this part of Alaska, some around 50" and up.   Don did you say you found it in Indiana?  My book dont show it neer that far east!
Andy  

Don P

Neato, ya mean I found an oddball?
It was in Vincennes IN off 41 between Evansville and Terra Haute...a nice side trip BTW if you're burned out on the Indy way north...ain't fast though. Although since the "new" truck is an '80, fast ceases to be an issue, we just poke along and stop for the roses , and the odd fish :D.

Thank You Sponsors!