iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dagnabit!!!!

Started by timberbeast, April 25, 2001, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberbeast

I had to clear up some minor house repairs over at my mom's house today,  and take down a small spruce that she didn't like leaning towards the house.  Threw a come-along on it and with a lot of holding wood,  pretty much pulled it down,  no problem,  it was only about 10 inches at the butt.  Next job was to dice up a hunk of silver maple that's been laying in the yard for a couple years,  maybe 9 or 10 feet long,  about 18 inches at the butt.  I cut my stovelengths,  went to cart them over to the firewood pile,  and I see it.  This log was in PERFECT spalt,  with colors and patterns,  but not punky at all yet.  Wish I'd have loaded the whole log on the truck and brought it up to the mill!  Any of you mill operators cut spalted stuff and sell to those "Fine Woodworking"  types?  I've seen some spalted maple and birch in some of those specialty stores going for unGodly prices,  like 6-7 bucks/bf.  I love it myself,  have quite a few pieces of furniture I've used it for,  but I get mine free.  For those unfamiliar with the term "spalted",  it's a condition where funguses have moved into the wood,  before the real rotting starts,  and it creates lines,  patterns,  colors,  that can be magnificent.  I gotta square up at least one hunk to send to a friend who makes handmade knives.  He'll get lots of handles out of a small chunk.
Where the heck is my axe???

Jeff

Beast, is there anyway for you to scan a slice or post an example of "spalted" wood?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I don't know what spalted wood looks like, but, one that I hear about from wood carvers is spalted tupelo.  I even saw a piece a couple of years ago at a carver's show.  High priced wood.

This prized wood came from South Carolina.  Easy to carve.  The species sounded familiar, so when I checked it out, it was black gum.  We cut it into ties and pallet stock.  One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

A little marketing secret..You buy black gum and sell Tupelo.

I saw a lot of spalted wood for bowl turners and crafty types.  The prettiest I've seen is Sweet Gum.

L. Wakefield

Oho.. a question then..we did a bunch of wood down in WV- when we cut tulip poplar it sometimes had these totally beautiful blue streaks in it. Are those fungus? I about stood on my head trying to make the color last, but it's only there when the wood is wet. ::)
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

L. Wakefield

Another question.. could you have done some type of a test bore to have detected the spalted wood condition before you cut up the log for firewood? I think it would be time consuming and obnoxious, but is there some way to screen for a valuable condition like this fore it's too late?
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tom

The colors in the wood, I've been told, are chemical stain and generally don't last too long after opened to the air. That is one of my most favorite experiences, seeing those colors, and folks who origionally open up the wood are the only ones who can enjoy it.

Diagnosing spalt is just a "experience" thing. You never really know what you have until you open up the log (kinda like an Easter egg hunt).  A lot of times you can see the lines of spalt in the end of the log which will give you an idea of what's inside.

Tom

Here is an example of spalted Sweet gum

Ron Wenrich

Color in poplar is often associated with an old injury of some type.  I've seen blue, brown, purple, yellow, and black.  There are associated chemicals with these injuries.  Potassium causes the purple and blue stains, I believe.

I've been told that when dried the lumber falls apart.  Many buyers won't buy it.

I've often thought it would make a beautiful wanescoat or paneling in a room.  Maybe you can inject with chemicals.

In Europe, they are using veneer poplar and making "manmade" woods.  They slice them to 1/4" thickness and pressure treat a dye into them.  Green, red, yellow and orange.  They then laminate them together and make multi-colored woods and moldings.  Very popular in Italy.  

L. Wakefield

we needed wood right then- so we cut it and used it green. It did 'check'- that's what they called it down there- but we screened for ones that at least looked entire when wet- and it did not fall apart- it's still standing. Sure did take on quite a curve tho. I had planed it kinda, and it was a joke, kinda. o well, the things you learn by making mistakes.. :-[

Tom

I've seen streaks of fire-engine red in Southern Yellow Pine and Cypress.  Yellows and reds in Sweet-gum, Poplar and oak.  Some of the old Magnolia Grandiflora (BullBay) that I've opened up has looked like somebody spilled a paint store.

I haven't known of any of the colors to remain long and haven't seen any lumber fall apart at the site of the stain but then I haven't seen everything yet.

The holes in Pecky Cypress and the red stain seem to have the same shapes and positions in the tree. I have wondered if maybe the red stain is the beginning of the pecky holes...fungal stain perhaps.

Ron Wenrich

I've seen blue streaks in oak.  This usually comes from an over abundant supply of iron.  :D  The new galvanized don't turn blue. :'(

Tom

I have found galvanized in a log and the wood wasn't colored at all.  The air for 30' around it turned bleu though.... :o >:(..... ::) ;D

RavioliKid

That wood is sure is pretty! I don't know what is more exciting than good wood.

When my parents sold their house, they had one of the old doors in the basement, so we took it with us. I had it refinished and it is our basement door now.

I wish I had all the doors from the old house, but I think the new owner might have noticed.  :D
RavioliKid

timberbeast

I've never had the colors disappear in maple or birch,  they do fade a bit.  I'll try to get a picture of an armoire I made years back,  but it will have to wait until my wife is home.  I don't know how to work the scanner!!!  I built it out of birdseye maple,  with spalted birch for the door panels.  Sometime tomorrow. :)

RavioliKid

I can't wait to see it!

8)
RavioliKid

timberbeast

Ahhh,  heck!  The pictures are gone from our house fire,  sorry!

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

timberbeast

Sorry,  Rav!!!  The strange thing about that fire is that we lost most everything,  but it was one of those old farmhouses with the grilles going upstairs,  and at the time,  that cabinet was directly under one of those.  So,  all of the water the firemen poured into the upstairs drained down on the cabinet,  and saved it from burning,,although it took quite a time to dry it out and re-clamp the joints,  etc.  I found some slides today and I will make them into prints,  have the wife scan them,  and post a pic.  But be patient!!!  It's logging time!  Your interest is appreciated!!!!

RavioliKid

You were lucky you were able to salvage anything.
House fires can be really devastating.

However, sometimes I contemplate cleaning house with a flamethrower. A little "controlled burn" could work wonders around here!
 :)
RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!