iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is a used generator worth?

Started by Daren, February 15, 2006, 06:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I have a bunch of "stuff" I have aquired over the years, boat motors, generators, pumps, utility trailers... all just taking up room. I am on a new mission, I am getting rid of some of it. I have tools and things I never use and am going to sell them and get things I will use. The reasons I am asking this question here (1) you guys have all the answers (2) the only people I have to ask local are guys that would want to by my stuff and I think they may lowball me. I mean it is like new, stored inside it's whole life. The paper stickers are still on it.
I have this Homelite 4400 generator with an 8 h.p. Briggs (pull start) I got as part of a bigger swap a couple years back. The guy I got it off of who used it in his hunting cabin a few times, I used it 1/2 dozen times when I was plumbing to run a pump or sawzall or something. I bet it hasn't had 20 tanks of gas ran through it. I haven't used it in 2 years (I have a welder that is a 8000 generator) I put a shot of gas in it this morning and 3 pulls it fired right up.
Has anybody bought a good used generator (or seen one for sale) lately, what are they going for? Is a Homelite/Briggs even a good one?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

isassi

I think it should be worth $400 of anyone's money, just due to the fact what is it worth when the power goes down? I think a rule of thumb with generators is roughly $100 per KW, close to or new condition.

Daren

That may be why a guy came by and pulled out a 100 and a 20 and said he'd take it off my hands today :D. I told him it wasn't for sale yet, I didn't know what it was worth, I was just dragging stuff out. I have all my other stuff figured out, but I have never bought a generator. I traded this along with a couple guns, and some other things for an old motorhome I was tired of fixin' all the time. I was hoping he didn't offer me a fair price and I ran him off, that's why I am asking.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

isassi

On the other hand Darin, I think his offer was fair, and since you ran him off, i will give you ...oh...say...$100, and you pay half the frieght. Fair enough????? smiley_big-grin2 Ok?????

sjh

My coleman is 5000 watt. I paid 300 at a auction. I see them sell from 1/2 to 2/3 there retail price. It all depends on thier condition. 

stumpy

When ever I'm looking for the market value on something, I look on EBAY. People on there seem to pay high prices on most common used things. Bigger items that are hard to ship are the exceptions, but I still look there fro a starting point.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!