iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey Jeff!

Started by timberbeast, April 05, 2001, 01:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberbeast

No offense intended,  but can you find a way to speed this site up a bit?  I think you'd get a lot more posts.  It isn't my computer or ISP,  because other sites I go to are a lot faster.  Sometimes I'll click on a topic and wait about 2 minutes,  then just click off of the site,  I don't have the patience.  That's not a slur on you,  because I love the site,  and would like to post more and ask more questions,  maybe it's just my impatience,  but I know some guys that have those free EZ board sites,  and they're really fast.  I just hate sitting and watching a bar go back and forth and waiting.  Could this be a glitch in my account?  Best regards to all,  from beast,  the impatient one!
Where the heck is my axe???

Jeff

I do believe This is a glitch in your account. Let's see what everybody else says. And here is something you can try to see where the trouble lies.

click on start, click on run, type in COMMAND. A dos prompt will appear.
Type this in:   tracert timberbuyer.net

Be sure to include a space between tracert and timberbuyer.net

This will run what is called a trace route to show you all the internet and phoneswitches and lines and connections between you and timberbuyer.net
website.  If it stops before it gets there, you will see where the "roadblock" is.

O.K. everybody is the site slow for you? I need answers. If you look at this thread, reply to it! This concerns me greatly that someone may not visit or return because of this.

I have had experience with ISPs in the past that had trouble connecting to sites using a unix server which this one does. This site is on an east coast server with Multiple T3 connections.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Your site doesn't load any slower than any other sites.  It may load a little faster than some.  I'd say I'm in the 5-10 second range.

Some posts do take longer to reply.  Especially if they have a picture attached.  I believe this comes from all the posts on the thread coming into view.  It could be speeded up if only the post you are replying to would appear.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don P

You run at average speed here...Much faster than woodweb. I've been wondering if we can put a link to a picture in a response and put the pics on the forestryforum site in a sort of archive. Wouldn't that speed the thread up and allow more pics? I'm very visually oriented words have never latched on as pictures do.

Bill Johnson

Don't usually find it too slow however there days when it takes a considerable amount of time. If its takes too long I usually log off and try later. I've been chalking it up to our system here and the fact we are net worked and the work of our systems police.

Bill
Bill

L. Wakefield

Yeah, my computer is by no means fast, and your site does as well as any. I'd say if he's having to wait several minutes there is a glitch somewhere.

LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Ron Scott

Jeff,
No problem here. It works as fast as anything else though it has a lot on it.
~Ron

Gordon

Wow, it takes 13 hops to go from delaware to ny. Pretty neat stuff Jeff. Never knew how to do that.

Some times the web is slow overall as well for me other times it's pretty darn quick. I had a bookmark for the internet speed report but that site has been shut down so the link is no good anymore.

Gordon

timberbeast

Looks like I'm odd-man-out!!  (actually,  I am an odd man,  but then aren't all wood people?).  I tried the trace,  and it went through the 15 (!) stops fine.  So I came back here and on "General Board".  After 10 minutes and 36 seconds of nothing,  I clicked out and came back.  I clicked on "General Board"  and it popped right up.  I then clicked on this topic and after 6 minutes and some seconds,  I tried to click out,  but couldn't.  It seemed to "freeze"  I tried the back button and reload,  and stop,  but I had to restart my computer to get out. I came back,  clicked on "General Board"  and it went right there,  clicked on this topic,  and got it after approximately 30 seconds.  Sounds like it must be my ISP,  but only on this site.  The biggest problem is going from topic to topic once I'm here.  I haven't even read them all yet,  and I read EVERYTHING!!  Regardless,  I'll hang around and post and read when I can,  because I truly enjoy you folks.  
Where the heck is my axe???

Jeff

That sounds like an internet Explorer problem Beast,Try repairing IE with the repair function, or upgrading to a different version.

One other thought, some ISP's do a dirty little trick that screw you if your tring to do real time stuff on a site.

They Page cashe. If one of their clients goes to a page they cashe it on there hard drive, that way if you go back to it they don't have to pay the milicent it costs your signal to go clear back to the origin of that file, it only has to go to them. Thats a problem when you are trying to do real time functions such as this message board.

Call em up and ask. Them bitch them out. I had an Isp that cashed pages for 3 hours at a time. Can you imagine tring to work on a website, and only being able to check your work every three hours??

There is only one of us, and lots of dial ups!!!!!!

L. Wakefield

that DOS command is excellent. I loved the older systems where dos was predominant and windows was the interloper. I was much more comfortable with a lot of the old DOS utilities. Nice to know some of them are still around. BTW, my system IS a little slower tonight- I usually assume that is network problems- too many people online at the same time. It used to be way worse. >:(
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

I'm having the same problem, But everywhere, NOT JUST HERE!!! :D :D :D 8)

Gordon

Something that I do at times if you get the blank screen is this. Hit the back button and then hit what you clicked on before the hang up. This sometimes works. Alot of the speed also depends on the traffic.

What really kills my connection speed is the phone lines. Living in the country has it's advantages until you try to get a fast connection speed. If I'm ever able to get a real fast hookup with these phone lines I'll let you know. But my average hookup is---26400 bps.::) On a fast day it's 33000 bps. I'll take the crummy phone line and a nice place in the country over a faster hookup in the city any day of the week.:)
Gordon  

L. Wakefield

y'know Jeff, I hate to join the 'other side', but this thing is taking a VERY long time to load tonight. Each switch is slow. I will keep an eye out several different times of day in the next few to see if it is independent of other possiblt factors. Is there any chance the site is getting overloaded for your bandwidth? ( I do NOT mean to suggest that you get rid of a lot of stuff- but I do remember awhile back you were suggesting contributions to maintain your storage capacity or whatever.) LW

Jeff

AOl and Time Warner have decided to discontinue the availability of quality internet service to maine and wisconsin due to...

Jeff

There is nothing wrong with the band width, it is your individual internet connections. Last night was one propably one of the lowest traffic nights for this site in 2 months.

My band width is unlimited. I just have to pay more if I go past my alloted amount. Also it's my file storage space that I have about maxed out not my bandwidth. The site is allowed 250,000 page views a month fo band width. This site has only had half that in the last year!

I am sorry if I sound ornery. It's early I am tired.

Ron Wenrich

One thing I have noticed is if my connection is fast, my connection is really sucky.  My best connection rate is 26400 with my current server.  If I get anything higher than that, things get frozen.  Eventually, I'll get disconnected.

Remedy is to hang up and try again.  If you are having problems, make sure your connection rate is the same.  If it is, then you have a lot of traffic to compete with.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bill Johnson

Jeff
After our talk I boot up my machine a couple of times as you can see it seems to have solved the problem.
I checked the version its 5.5 so the cookie button is stored under security tab, it was enabled so I have no idea what was going on.

Thanks for the assistance though it was greatly appreciated.

Bill
Bill

jokers

This site works well for me, haven`t noticed any slowdowns yet. I do have a T1 line though so I might not notice a slight slowdown. It`s a great site and I enjoy reading the varied posts. Russ

Thank You Sponsors!