iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new OLD whats-it ?

Started by isawlogs, January 20, 2007, 02:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Furby

What are the flaws .. I am one of um that dont know  :P :P

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ianab

Carbon dating only works out to about 50,000 years.

The way it works is that a certain % of the carbon floating around is a radioactive isotope of carbon. I think it's formed natually by radiation in the upper atmosphere. So when something that contains carbon, like a piece of wood, gets buried the radiactive part of the carbon slowly decays away from the time it was locked up. By comparing the ratio of normal carbon and carbon isotope, you can make an educated guess how old something is.

The main flaws are

After 50,000 years most of the carbon13 has decayed away, so there is nothing left to measure.

You have to assume that the amount of carbon13 in the atmosphere has allways been the same, but you cant prove that. So it's not 100% accurate, but it does give a good guide as to wether something is 100 years, 1,000 years or 10,000 years old.

With the really old fossils and rocks I believe they can look at other radioactive isotopes and use them to judge age. Also they can look at fossils in rocks above and below the sample and see what is present. The types of fossils give and indication of the age as well.

It's not an exact science though, but it does let them put a timeline together.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

Marcel, my post was sort of in a way a smart butt remark.
It really all comes down to what you belive as "facts" are "found" to support both sides.

isawlogs

Furby , I did not take it to be a smart butt remark .. I did not know there was issues with carbon dating ... I learned another thing here today .  :P :)

That peice of wood is still old . Really old .  :D :D :D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

farmerdoug

We may not know how truely old it is but I sure think that piece of wood would ruin a saw blade in a hurry. :o ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

Now in all this confusion, I still didn't get the story on this fossilized tree. You can't just plunk this thing down and simply ask whazit, can ya?  It came a long way from Chelsea Quebec, we know that much. ::) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!