iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter Blues

Started by redpowerd, March 07, 2003, 07:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

My father sez this is the worst winter hes seen in thirty or so years. The snows been on the ground since early november, the nighttime temps for 3/4 of the winter months have been at least 5 below, many nights twenty below, with a few forty below. . the few warm days we have are quickly cancelled out by rapidly falling temps weve got our fair share of wicked nor-easters, dumping at least a foot or so at a time. Yesterday i went out to the north side of my woodlot with the 8 foot snowblower to clear a new landing, and the path i was clearing was deeper than the height of the blower, witch cuts a 4 1/2' deep swath!!!! :o. My supply of firewood dwindled out two weeks ago, witch resulted in quite the flash off in the chimney, due to some green wood.

But, spring is coming, i think. and with the snowmelt means our annual canoe trip down torrent sucker brook!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

I guess it depends where you are. Where we are in Michigan it has been cold, but hardly any snow. I have shoveled the driveway only twice.  We were pretty dry all last year and unless we really get dumped on, we could loose all our snow here I figure in 3 days with temps in the fortys. Right now it is snowing pretty good and 18os and really still looks like winter.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

the strange thing is, last summer it was record dry, june july and august we mabie got 5 inches of rain!!, not sure, no personal records. our crops were badly hurt, not as bad as out west, but bad enough to warrant crop and livestock drought relief from Pataki. right now, if you got under the snow, theres probably 2-4 inches of dusty, dry dirt. unfrozen, no water.  the big melt will bring a loss of real estate along with mineral reserves. well see this spring after the soil tests.
oh well, farmin means fightin and lovin mother nature everyday.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Ron Wenrich

We had a 2 year drought, just to the south of you.  But, that all changed last October.  Then, it got wet and stayed wet.

This is the 1st year in 7 that I actually needed to shovel the snow from my lane.  I only shovel in snowfalls over 10".  This year it was a 24" blow.  But, little snow since.

It has been cold.  But, not ridiculously cold.  Things are starting to warm up, and the sun is as strong as it is in the beginning of October.  Just got to get rid of the clouds.

My uncle always told me that snow is a poor man's fertilizer.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

I do believe our Spring is getting here real soon,  The daffodils are out and the Azealeas are about to bloom.  My roses are not blooming as yet, but sure are putting on the growth.  8) They just had 30" of new snow in the last 24 hours in the cascades above the 3,000' level. :'(  With another 20 + in the next 24 hours. :-[
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Frank,
That sounds like Spring to me.I think you must be a full month ahead of us up here.We had Robins around a couple of weeks ago,and then Wednesday night a Arctic outflow changed things back right quickly.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Minnesota_boy

I think Frank might be 6 months ahead of us.  >:(  It was -15F this morning and likely -25 by tomorrow.  March has been the coldest month so far this winter, with February not far behind.  Traditionally, seasonal road restrictions would start March 15, but it might not this year.  I sure see lots of loads of logs and pulpwood on the highway as loggers race to get as much hauled as possible before the warm weather shuts them down.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

redpowerd

today its nice, 35. enough to pack the snow down a foot or so.
cut a nice big ash an drug her up by the house for firewood, a couple of nice 12 footers in there, too. the firewood will keep the pipes from freezin when it gets to ten below tonight. ten below wont freeze the pipes, but couple that with the 25-30 mph winds, the goats'll be stacked on each other. now what should i do wit dem ash logs...................?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Tillaway

Lets see... about 70 degrees, has been for a couple of weeks.  The Almonds bloomed last month everything else is blooming now.  The leaves are coming on.  The grass is growing and everything is green for a change.  I have been Bar-be-quing for a couple of months.  California has good weather and thats about it. ::)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

wiam

In Vermont it has been cold for 3 months thats like below zero a lot.  I am about sick of cutting wood to stay warm.  And you guys with green grass and flowers blooming should keep them to yourselfs. :D :D  Just kidding.  It's nice to know that spring will be here in 4 or 5 months.  Stay warm everyone.
William

RavioliKid

Yeah, it's been so dry and snowless in Michigan that we had a snowday here in Kalamazoo on Wednesday - and we only got around 6 inches! They've forgotten what real snow is!

But, hey! Any day off school is a good day!

8)
RavioliKid

Frank_Pender

When we had snow days  8) 8)and they were not put into the claendar we had to make them up around here.  I am retired now, Rav.  I do not have to worry about that stuff. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

redpowerd

yesterday i finished snowblowing, unhooked the blower, moved the chopper to get into another hay barn, and got the tractor home just before a massive whiteout! it gave us around 6-8 inches and 2 foot drifts to wake up to. the funny thing is, a little voice told me to leave the blower on. i love it. i wish i could sell it to you southerners.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Thank You Sponsors!