iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Idaho Pine?

Started by Jacar, April 28, 2003, 01:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacar

I have just been offered some Idaho pine, log cabin logs left over from a house.  There are supposed to be several 16' trailer loads worth of 10"-14", 6'-10' logs available.

Haven't seen them yet.  Does anybody know anything about Idaho pine or whether these will be worth my time?  I would like to cut some paneling and ceiling materials for my garage to  master bedroom project! ;D

Jack 8)
Jack Watkins

Tillaway

My guess would be its Lodge Pole Pine.  Take a look they might be something you would want.  It is also decent firewood.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

beenthere

I suspect Tillaway is right (as he has more experience) about it being lodgepole pine, however there is a species called Idaho white pine (Idaho's state tree, I think) that it might refer  to (but if it is for cabin logs, the lodgepole makes more sense).

Are these logs now in Texas? Free of decay?  Just curious.

Lodgepole makes good construction lumber, as well it should be nice for panelling. The knots are small and often tight, from my recollection.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawinmontana

More than likely they are lodge pole. Possibly white pine. They are used quite abit as paneling. They will be blued,which is very attractive.

If they are a lathed log then they might evin  be Ponderosa pine.

Scott

ARKANSAWYER

Do they taste as good as the potatos?  I like my taters fried in bacon grease with onions and morels till nice and soft with just a hint of brown crust on the bottom of the pan.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Tillaway

Hmmm... someone needs to feed Arky.   ;D  

Kevin_H.

ARKANSAWYER,
Drop the onions and make it a cast iron skillet and ya got something...Now when its just about done, drop a couple of eggs over all of it and stur a couple of times, 'til the eggs are set.
Oh man...I'm I hungry
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jacar

Haven't seen the logs yet.  Yes they are in Texas, near Houston.  Trying to get a little educated before I go take a look at them.

Just got home from a long day 9:30 PM. My wife cooked me steak and eggs!  Left over ribeye from dinner and fresh fried eggs.  Can't beat that w/ a stick! 8)

Jack
Jack Watkins

Tillaway

Watch out for them winding up being Engleman Spruce.  They are used by some cabin builders in the region.  It is unlikely that they would be White Pine.  White Pine is a high dollar log so it is unlikely any would find thier way into a cabin.  

ARKANSAWYER

You mean that they make skillets from something be sides cast iron? ???  Why for?  It will not be long before we are digging them little red taters out of the ground to go with our eggs that are still warm from the chickens butt.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

sawinmontana

If white pine is cut green its high dollar. If its taken standing dead then quite abit less. When I drove log truck they would mix the lodge pole and white pine house logs together, if they were dead and blued

Thank You Sponsors!