The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Book Review  (Read 8378 times)

Offline ibseeker

• Share Post
Re: Book Review
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »
Back in 1965 I was in the 3rd grade and our old black and white TV blew a tube. My Dad took my older brothers and me down to the Piggly Wiggly and tested the tube on their tube tester. It was good. So Dad took the TV and put it in the back of the truck so that a friend at work could fix it. A week or so later during a rain storm Dad took the TV out of the pickup truck and unfortunately dropped the TV while walking up the porch stairs.....actually dropped the TV!!!
Well that was the end of TV in the Jones household for about 5 years. I was miserable, hated reading and was bored stiff. Then my Dad brought out "Old Yeller" and that was it. A boy and his dog and all that excitement, I was hooked!

I wish I had started a list of authors and books that I've read. I can't tell you how many times I'll start in on a book and figure out by the end of the chapter that I read it before! Sometimes I just keep reading....having a bad memory isn't always a bad thing.

Like Corley and Paschale, I'm a huge JRR Tolkein fan. Read everything I can get by him.
Frank Herbert's Dune series was really good and his son, Brian has done some fine work writing prequels.

Just finished Wilbur Smith's Triumph of the Sun about the fall of Khartoum.

If you like good science fiction, Larry Niven's Ringworld series is great...well, the first one is good the rest is ok.

My wife says I read too much but I can't stand watching the garbage on TV that she likes...reality shows! Yeah, right like there's anything real about them.

The comment in an earlier post about reading the breakfast cereal box really hit home, I knew stuff most grade school kids never learned....nor did they need to!

Reading is the western world's form of meditation.

The best secret about reading that I've relearned is the Public Library. Since all the used book stores closed down, it's the best source for free reading.

I love reading to my niece's. Their children's books are so fun and it's easy to make funny voices for different characters and raise and lower my voice to get them excited or draw them in close during the exciting parts. Plus how can you not love it when a 4 and  6 year old plop down next to you on the couch with a book and want to snuggle up and have you read to them?

Here's a must read: Glenn Beck's "An Inconvenient Book"....very relevant and a nice counterpoint to Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth"
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
TF Guild "Red Book / Green Book"

Started by DangleSnipe267 on Timber Framing/Log construction

5 Replies
Last post December 01, 2020, 05:42:36 PM
by Don P
xx
MS 250 Experience/Review

Started by JW IN VA on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post October 24, 2019, 06:15:51 PM
by samandothers