iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut so valuable, ash is the new Walnut

Started by Ironwood, April 11, 2008, 04:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I had to share, phone rings, well intending guy has walnut available for cutting. "send pics I say" , here you go. Walnuts are so desirable we're turing ash into walnut (sorry for the sarcism). He thinks these trees yielded walnuts last year .

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ely

woodmills1

reminds me of the guy who wanted money for his good white oak that turned out to be hickory.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WDH

Not the best grade ash either.  It is clear that this guy does not know his ash from walnut :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodmills1

his ash.............. :D nice one.............. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

It's always tough to have to tell someone they've got the species wrong, or that a 6" cherry isn't a $5k/mbf veneer log. They usually think you are trying to decieve them. :-\

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

crtreedude

Just show him a piece of good walnut and say,

"I am sorry to tell you, but no one will want your walnut, the heartwood has no color..."  ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Dale Hatfield

I drove to a landowners place few years ago to look at cherry trees  Said he had em all over and they were big .
Well they were big and but they were far from cherry . River birch .

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Sparty

Quote from: ely on April 11, 2008, 05:18:39 PM
maybe english walnuts.

People joke about the English people being pasty white....but thier walnut too? ;D

ely

i'll add a story here, if i may. had a lady awhile back say her two big pines were dead in front of her rent house. wanted to know if i wanted to saw lumber from them. i told her sure cause she is a friend. i ask when i could cut them and she said her son was going to cut them down. ok i say just let me know.
a couple months later he cuts them down and decides since they are worth alot of money he will sell them himself. takes them 15 miles to a sawmill and gets 25 cents bdft. several trips mind you. these trees are big, guessing 48 inches on the stump. a couple days transpire and the sawmill calls him and says come get your logs. apparently he  failed to mention they were yard trees, they had found metal in them with a detector. refused to saw them.

he could have brought them to my mill, 2 miles tops, and i would have paid him if it was money he wanted.
i really think i could saw them with minimal damage. but now i know they have metal so i can watch for it. at any rate if they show up i will get some pictures of the logs and sawing for you folks.

Ironwood

Yes, you were trying to rob them weren't you.  ;) Hopefully the son learned his lesson. You just can't tell some people.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

johncinquo

I had someone offer me their walnut log they had cut down out of their yard yesterday. 

For $350.   :D :o 

I said thanks, but no. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Ironwood

Yeah, I know. I need to take a picture of a LOAD of walnut I got from Frickman (on the FF). It is from a logging job he is on, and at "market" the BIGGEST forest walnut I have ever seen was $400, the rest of all of it was worth another $150. Kinda makes me want to stop dealing with million dollar urban stuff that is worth a million per tree ::) I just get tired of explaining myself, perhaps like Darin, I should just hand them a sheet laying it all out. I think I WILL do that, and perhaps photograph the BIG pile from Frickman as an example.

Ironwood

KjBarnwood

I deal in reclaimed wood, and EVERYONE has wormy chestnut.  They think if it has holes in it, it must be chestnut.  Because worms only ate chesnut back then.

I love it I always hear, "My buddy is a wood shop teacher and said it is chesnut"... sorry he's wrong!

Kj

Ironwood

Yeah, I have put on a few miles looking into those stories.One that comes to mind was a very "hard to figure out case" It was only 80 miles one way and almost a whole day. At least I could understand the confusion as even for me it was hard to decifer. Yeah, I hear you there.

Ironwood

Frickman

That was a nice load Reid got off my job. It had the nicest forest grown walnut I've ever cut. If it had been a veneer tree it would have been worth alot more. It had some problems though that knocked it down to sawlog grade. It went to a good home, Reid will make something nice from it.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

urbanlumberinc

I just got a call today about a "monster" black walnut, and by the way "how much will you pay for it?"  First, I responded "I don't pay for logs, but if it is in fact a walnut and in good shape I'll remove the log for free, saving you the cost of the hauling and disposal, that's the payment."  After some back and forth I agree to drive out to the guys place and take a look at the log.  Turns out his "monster" black walnut was actually a very rotten American Elm.  After a few minutes of arguing, the befuddled log owner finally agreed to look at my feild guide to north american trees and conceded that the tree was in fact an elm.  "Well go ahead and take it away then" the guy says, to which I replied "and do what with it?"  "Saw it up into lumber, that is what you do right?"  "True" I say, "but this log is rotten to the core, and useless as even firewood.  Thanks, but no thanks, I say."  I turn to leave and the guy has the cajones to mutter something about turning me into the better business bureau.  Now I'm *pithed - "First, I'm not even a member of the BBB so go ahead and knock yourself out pal, second, just what exactly is it that I've done to slight you?"  "you promised me a free log removal."  "Well, I lied, C-ya"

Ironwood

Amazing isn't it? I have been very sheltered from dealing with the public for years. I have great furniture clients, and kinda pick and choose, but the dealings for the trees/ logs puts me right in there with the general public, sure can be fun  ::) sometimes. Looks like you had a real gem there!

Ironwood

bck

It was a walnut tree for sale on ebay last week . 24" diameter, and 54" from the ground was where limbs started. Tree was crooked ( the 54" part )and beside a fence. They were asking 9500.00 if you cut it down and cleaned up the mess. :D :D

SwampDonkey

Junk is junk no matter what species it is.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

urbanlumberinc

I saw that one on ebay also.  I was so amused I couldn't resist the opportunity to have a little fun at the guy's expense.  I IM'd him asking a few dumb questions which drew even dumber responses.  It seems the guy had done a lot of "research" online and had seen sites selling walnut for as much as $60/bdft and provided a link to a site selling monster claro slabs for tables and such.  When I wrote back that the pieces he'd seen in the site were claro walnut and quite a bit larger than what he had, and for that matter were already cut and dried, the guy assured me that his was a claro walnut, and that a woodworker friend of his guaranteed him that his log would have some of the best looking walnut around, and that 10 grand for his log would be a bargain.  I laughed so hard I almost choked :D

Ironwood

Urban,

Great story, thanks for yanking his  chain and sharing the response. Good stuff. I wonder if you don't buy it, if he will report you to the BBB?  ;D

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!