iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats going on here?

Started by judochop, August 05, 2008, 02:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judochop

Theres seems to be two differnt size or type of leaves on the same tree.
The color is a little greener on the larger leaves.
Its a little hard to tell from these pictures, had to use my phone camera.

judochop

Ok looks like I'll have to figure out how to upload some pics,
Do i need an admin. to set permissions ?

Timburr

Commonly known as "sun" and "shade" leaves.   Shade leaves are usually larger, to entrap more of the lower quality light.

Click HERE for your photo tutorial
Sense is not common

judochop

Thanks for the photo tip :)

I tried to resize them but I cant get them under the forum requirements
and keep the pics still viewable, they get pretty messed up and hard to
see  ???  I'll keep trying.

Just wondering do the sun and shade leaves get about 3-4 times larger then
the main tree leaves and only grow on branches of their own? They are only
located on one side of the the tree and are only about 10-15 % of the total leaves.

beenthere

judochop
Resizing means changing the pixels along the longest side of the photo, not reducing the file size (that comes second to reducing the pixels to no more than 500).

What you say you experienced means you are just reducing the file size. Can't do that first.  :)
Go to the tutorial, and follow it carefully.  And ..  we all've been there.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

judochop

Your the man beenthere! haha

Like i mentioned the pictures are not too great,
but the last pic you can see on the left side the larger
leaves and different coloured leaves.

SwampDonkey

Looks like a basswood responding to your pruning job. Those things will sucker off the main tree worst than aspen or popple.  It's saying, "Don't thin my crown!" ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

I think SwampDonkey figured it out.  The shoots produced after the tree was pruned are much more vigorous, and hence the leaves are much larger, than the rest of the crown.  Basically what's happening is that after being pruned, the tree no longer had enough leaves to produce enough food to support the root system.  By producing lots of long shoots with big leaves, the tree is trying to recover its photosynthetic potential. 
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

The tree is just trying to balance itself from being cattywhompus ;D.  The sun will do that to you if you have a phototrophic mindset.....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

judochop

Thats cool! I'm just really surprised how
much of a difference in size there is
between the old and the new!
The larger leaves look much nicer
in colour, wish the rest looked as nice.

Thank You Sponsors!