iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Application Rates: 41% glyphosate

Started by Good Feller, November 18, 2008, 03:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Feller

How much of this stuff should I mix with water for treating cut stumps?  Would 75% water and 25% herbicide work?  Stumps will be ash and ironwood.  Thanks
Good Feller

woodtroll

Read the label. I think it is 50% or hotter.

Good Feller

You are right it says that.  Thought I might be able to get away using less. 
Good Feller

John Mc

I've tried a variety of glyphosphate concentrations to kill buckthorn stumps. 18% (hardware store "concentrate") did not get reliable results. 50% and 41% straight from the jug did well. I now aim for about 33% with good results, though I've heard others get decent results with as low as 25%.

Time of year makes a big difference as well. Around here, best time to treat cut stumps (on buckthorn at least) is Aug, Sept, and into Oct. Treating when it's dormant or in the spring did not reliably stop the stump from sprouting.

Buckthorn is tough to kill. I suppose some species might be easier to knock off.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

For two winters I've had excellent results on buckthorn using Tahoe 4E (Triclopyr) mixed with diesel and sprayed during the winter on the bark. Saves cutting it, and buckthorn breaks down quickly when dead.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on November 21, 2008, 10:27:26 PM
For two winters I've had excellent results on buckthorn using Tahoe 4E (Triclopyr) mixed with diesel and sprayed during the winter on the bark. Saves cutting it, and buckthorn breaks down quickly when dead.                     

I think I'd need a license to buy triclopyr here in Vermont. Do you know much about carry-over and effect on animals? That was one of the things I liked about Round-up: breaks down quickly, and not hazardous to mammals (not sure about other animals).

I've heard of people using Garlon (?) and diesel with good results, but I need a license for that as well. I even had a commercial vegetation control service come and bid on treating 15 acres heavily infested with buckthorn. They had experienced significant failures with the basal bark treatments, and would not quote that. All they wanted to do was foliar spray. I'm not too nuts about that option, since a lot of my buckthorn is intertwined with things I'd like to keep. They also wouldn't guarantee success on anything over 15 feet tall (they lose too much accuracy in spraying).

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

It is recommended by our State Foresters, and they have interest in helping get rid of buckthorn.
Check with your Foresters, and see if they have interest in helping you get rid of your buckthorn.
Buckthorn around here is very invasive, and there is concern over the spread of it.

For two winter applications, the success was excellent using Tahoe 4E and bark spray. I like it because cutting buckthorn with a chainsaw or my brush cutter is not a chore I like to do. Carrying a 2 gal sprayer is, and I like getting rid of the buckthorn so easily.  ;D ;D

I had the Tahoe 4E shipped from MS. Maybe they can't ship to VT.  ::) ::) ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!