iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWW, National Tree Farmer Finalist

Started by Cedarman, July 03, 2009, 09:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

This is quite an accomplishment!

Congrats Robert 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

:-[

Thank-you, my friends.

I certainly did not do this alone.  This honor is as much a tribute to the fine folks here at the forum, all the foresters, wildlife biologists, loggers, sawyers, environmentalists, members of the Indiana Forestry and Woodland Owners Association, and Indiana Tree Farm who have given so selflessly of their knowledge as it is to my hard work and pursuit of a dream.
The unflinching support of my lovely wife, Linnea, is a very huge part of the equation also.

It still hasn't quite sunk in...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Sprucegum

8) This is no time to rest on your Laurels -

Get to work on your acceptance speach  ;D

Ron Scott

Being in the Finals for the Nationals is no easy task. Your good  forest management stands out.
~Ron

thedeeredude

Way to go OWW!  Do you have any pictures of your woodland?  And could you give a quick overview of what species you have and your management practices?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Now that is something to be proud of.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coon

Congratulations,  I'm sure most of us here on the forum look up to you.  I know I do.  All hail "King OWW"    :D  8)  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

OneWithWood

Quote from: thedeeredude on July 06, 2009, 06:20:30 PM
Way to go OWW!  Do you have any pictures of your woodland?  And could you give a quick overview of what species you have and your management practices?

For now checking out my Photo Gallery and searching around for my posts will have to suffice.   :)

There is a whole slew of stuff I have to get completed and submitted to the National Committee and it is taking up all of my free time.

I promise after the convention (late September) I will post what happens and include some pics of the property.
One With Wood

thedeeredude

Will do, and a wish for good luck to ya!

OneWithWood

The videos are up!

The videos of the four regional winners have been posted on youtube.
Stihl, Inc. contracted for a videographer to travel to each of the four farms and do a little documentary piece.

You can see mine here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zERTb5c8UE4

If you would like to see the other regional winners type in 2009 Regional Tree Farm in the search box.

The competition is very keen.   I can't compete on scenery with a couple of them and I think they all have me beat on acreage.  I will just have to rely on my down-home hoosier charm  :D

One With Wood

Warbird

WDH

Robert, I enjoyed the video and I am very impressed and proud!

Three things help:

1).  The investment you and Linnea have made in outreach and education
2).  The sawmill to utilize the sustainable wood resources
3).  Your self-sufficiency in bio-diesel

One thing hurts:

1).  The size of the Tree Farm

Whatever happens, y'all have accomplished a great honor in achieving this level.  Rarified air ;D. 

RynSmith

Thanks for sharing, OWW, beautiful forest you have there.

What I want to know is why aren't the other three competitors Forum members  ???

SwampDonkey

Quote from: RynSmith on July 27, 2009, 12:11:17 PM
What I want to know is why aren't the other three competitors Forum members  ???

Jeff's been slack'n a  bit. :D  sling_shot   yikes_smiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

There , go blame poor piggy cooker  ::)  ;D 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Scott

Great Job! Now waiting to see your pictures in the Tree Farmer magazine.
~Ron

Roxie

Wow!  That is absolutely beautiful!  Thank you for sharing the video, and congratuations! 
Say when

crtreedude

Very cool! What a beautiful place and job. I consider it an honor to know you sir.  :)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

WDH

There was a fine article in the September/October 2010 Tree Farmer Magazine about Robert and Linnea and their Tree Farm.  They were the 2009 Outstanding North Central Regional Tree Farmers of the year and finalists for the National Tree Farmer Award.  In the article, Robert, our OneWithWood, references the Forestry Forum, and I quote," In 2002, he was an early participant online on the Forestry Forum <www.forestryforum.com>, where he is known as OneWithWood.  He has chronicled his tree farm activities on the sawmilling and milling message board, "Time to Stop Being a Wannabe"."

If you are a member of the Tree Farm System and a suscriber to the Tree Farmer Magazine, check it out.

Here is another nice quote at the end of the article, "Brianna, a fifth-grader at Edgewood Intermediate School, summed it up in a letter after her class visited the Good-Goodling Woods: "Dear Mr. Woodling, you have changed a group of kids.  You have changed our points of view and our feelings for nature.  I am sure you could see in our faces the wonder that we all shared.  Thank you for spending time to educate us"."

Robert, I want to thank you too.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

I tried to post a link to the article from the Tree Farm website, but it looks like that it is not in the archives yet.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

I have had the privilege of visiting OweWithWood's tree farm. 8)  His trees are friendly and did not bite my hand.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!