iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small house/ cabin plans

Started by dail_h, December 05, 2009, 09:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

Hi all:

I have a book buried somewhere in my stacks from many years ago of government designs of small cabins. I did a quick google search and came up with something that resembles it, though I'm not sure it's the book that I have. Here's the link:

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/rp/rp_fpl173.pdf

I think the third floor plan about midway down is 24'x24'.  Good luck.

Planman
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Hilltop366

Seems to me I recall seeing a 1 1/2 story plan around 18x32' in a timberframe book, I always remember that it looked like a nice plan, if I recall it was the book Ted Benson building a timberframe home. The design was a english cottage look which might not intrest you but I though thr floor plan was nice. I guess the disadvantage to a taller house would be in the building and maintaining it at the extra height as opposed to a single story with a lower pitch roof.

Traditional Toolworks

Quote from: Meadows Miller on December 07, 2009, 03:15:57 AM
Tradditional toolworks I love the quote under the bottom of your posts dad was in Price george for 3 months at His Shool of log building back in 88  ;) ;D I was planning to go when i turned 18 but but never got around to it  ;) id already learnt from the Best and the only Full time log builder  i australia  Dad  ;D by then    ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Yeah, Mackie had a huge influence on many folks, and if there ever was a single person to revive log homes in general, it was him.

Nice looking home your Dad built!

I'm gonna leave mine to my kids, after I get it built...;-)
The axeman in the twentieth century displaying this determination to find peace and sanity is joined in history to every pioneer who set himself to carving a homestead in a new world.  B.Allan Mackie - "Building with Logs"

WTB - used sawmill around NorCal/Oregon area

moonhill

Hilltop, could that book have been, Build a Classic Timber Framed House, by Jack Sobon.  If so, it is very different than what Benson puts out.  The design is 18'x36' and 2 full floors.

As for adze work, refer to the book I just quoted.  Very little adze work is found in traditional work of shaping logs to timber.  I am curious how the logs in the link had the majority of the wood removed before they were adzed?  Could they have been sawn on a mill and then finished?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Hilltop366

Tim,
I'm not sure and can't check now (I borrowed the Benson book and returned it, owned the Sobon book but lent it out). I do remember it was called a "english cottage", when I built I used info and methods from both books, this was about 10 years ago so it could have been one or the other of those books or may have been a different book.

moonhill

I don't think Sobon referred to his example as an "english cottage" so it could have been the Benson book.  I only have one Benson book, it is for the coffee table. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!