iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You will be amazed

Started by Jeff, December 25, 2009, 03:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tammy and I went to the movies for Christmas. We went and saw Avatar in 3D.  I'm pretty hard to impress and I walked out of there knowing that there has never been a movie made before this one that was so technically amazing.  You will also see the biggest tree you have ever seen in your life and believe that it is real. As long as you don't try to draw any political or moral conclusions from the story line, you should walk out of there mesmerized.

Don't waste your time with the non-3d version. I'm going to go see this one again. Go see it if you get the chance.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_S.

I agree. It sets the bar for movies from here on out.
See it on the big screen, it will not be the same on DVD.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Sprucegum

8) I have a date for New Years Day - a new 3-D is the only thing that will get me in to the big city

Ianab

Wish it was showing in 3D locally  :(

It was 'filmed' in NZ by the company that did Lord of the Rings, so it's motion capture of real actors. They run 30,000 computer cores to render the graphics.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Several time during the movie, I tipped my glasses down to see what it looked like without them. Not the same. Not even close. You certainly would not want to view the 3-d movie without the glasses. The non-3 d version was running at the same theater. Why anyone would want to watch it that way, other then if there are some epilepsy issues or something, I dont know.

This was not your daddy's 3D. I've got my 3D glasses right here. They look like Drew Cary's Sunglasses. Clear lenses. None of the old red and blue. Not sure what makes then 3d. I'm gussing some sort of polarization.

ScottAR

guess I'll have to miss it then. I can't see "3d" stuff.
just looks like the film ain't lined up right to me. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

DR_Buck

Quote from: ScottAR on December 25, 2009, 10:32:39 PM

I have the same problem with the old 'red'-'blue' 3d glasses.   But the new polarization glasses work fine.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

This is totally different then the old 3D. You'll be able to see it.

wesdor

Jeff is right.

This is probably the best movie I've seen in years.  Just got back from seeing it with the family a few minutes ago.

Although the story line gets a bit preachy at times, the scenery is fantastic and the special effects are beyond anything I have ever imagined.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on December 25, 2009, 11:41:56 PM

This is totally different then the old 3D. You'll be able to see it.

Some people can't see stereo Jeff. Stereo is what movie or photo 3D is. It's basically images with an overlap between frames. We had 1 or 2 students in our aerial photo interp. classes that could never see the 3D relief in stereo photo triplets (30 % overlap between frames). Both eyes have to look straight ahead, if your looking down your nose you wont see 3D.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

Swamp is right on. I was a Terrain Analyst in the Amry. Steroescopic vision is necessary to "see" this type film, not everyone has it. If you remember those funky posters in the 1980's that people asked you to stare at, if you can see the "whatever they had on them", then you can see in steroe vision. Also, for those history minded folks, if you remember the wooden stereo veiwers (circa 1900-1920) you could veiw stereo on those as well. The lenses looked like magnafying glasses.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Stereoscope. They are still in forestry classes. You can buy the ones like Ironwood describes and a desktop model with binoculars and side mirrors, which is very expensive. ;)

Also, remember viewfinders? and viewfinder projectors. I still have mine from over 30 years ago. Mom had some reals from when the Queen was crowned in 1953. I think they are also around here somewhere.  8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

We have View Masters as well, I forgot about that option as a description.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

Obviously if you have some sort of physical vision impairment that effects your natural depth perception you can't see the third dimension but if you can see things like a view master, you can see the movie. I am another that could not see the 3-d in the old movies. Also if you have color blindness of some sort involving red, you would not be able to see the old style.

Even people with normal vision sometimes could not see those posters.

andybuildz

My mind was blown when I saw that extravaganza. I never expected anything that clear!!
One question for those of you that saw it...

(ADMIN PRIVILEGE TAKEN HERE. ANDY, your question is a movie scene stealer. I removed it until people have a chance to see it. I'll answer it though. That part of the movie was troublesome for me and It made me feel bad)  Jeff...
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on December 26, 2009, 09:06:07 AM
Even people with normal vision sometimes could not see those posters.

Yup, exactly. It's not vision impairedness I was restricting my comment to. Sometimes all it takes is some training of the eyes to see it and some just can't master it. It's like trying to do the Spock greeting, some can, some can't.

Jeff

Donk, I do beleive that in that sort of case, one will be able to see the 3-D.  The glasses do the polarizing.  No matter how you looked at the screen, it was 3 -D. You could tip your head, turn it, pull the glasses out a foot from your face, what ever, as long as you looked through the lenses, it worked.   I'm the type of guy that wants to know and I played all those games as I enjoyed the movie.

SwampDonkey

Yes, I guess your likely right there Jeff.

Ironwood

Stereoscopic vision is a "brain inner connectedness" issue (left/right regions). You either have it or not, regardless of ANY vision "eye" issue. At least that is what Uncle Sam told us.

Ironwood

SwampDonkey

In Jeff's movie case, I guess the eyes are being aided. Our examples, the eyes are unaided and if you can't train yourself to look ahead instead of at a converging point, when looking at a close object, then you can't see stereo. When starring at those aerials, you have to take the approach that your looking 10000 feet away and not 12 inches from your nose, so to speak. The most frustrating part is the fact that from one photo to the next the scale can change (oops hit an updraft there during that shot) and it always changes with distance from the focal point. Put your fish eyes on. :D

Warbird

My brother and I went and saw the non-3D version because he gets extreme motion sickness and headaches from any 3D type of stuff, riding rides at the fair, etc.  The non-3D version still contains the most awesome CG I've ever seen.

I agree with Jeff on going into the movie just to watch a movie.  Leave any political/religious biases aside and just as a movie, it is amazing.  That being said, I wouldn't take anyone who is young and forming opinions to watch it.  ;)

Now that Jeff and other friends of mine have said that the 3D is a must, I'll probably go back and watch it again, in 3D this time, with the Mrs.  In fact, let's make it a party!  Everyone come up here and we'll go watch it in a couple of days!  ;D

Ironwood

They have movie theaters up there?

Ironwood

Brad_S.

I saw the standard screen 3D. I think I'll go back and catch the I-MAX version. If 2D is good and 3D is great, what must I-MAX be like? :o
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Warbird

Quote from: Ironwood on December 26, 2009, 12:07:30 PM
They have movie theaters up there?

Yeah.  We have a really huge igloo that gets built every winter.  It has a couple of rooms with flat ice walls that the movie is projected on.  Sometimes there are interruptions because the polar bear driving the wheel that generates the electricity starts acting up.  One year, he ate one of the theater employees and they almost shut the place down.  It was a real travesty.  ;)

beenthere

Quote from: andybuildz on December 26, 2009, 09:41:52 AM
My mind was blown when I saw that extravaganza. I never expected anything that clear!!
One question for those of you that saw it...

(ADMIN PRIVILEGE TAKEN HERE. ANDY, your question is a movie scene stealer. I removed it until people have a chance to see it. I'll answer it though. That part of the movie was troublesome for me and It made me feel bad)  Jeff...

Thanks Jeff.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!