iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how does a bar oiler work - hot running bar

Started by rebocardo, October 14, 2003, 11:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

How does a bar oiler actually work?

The reason for asking is my bar is running hot on my Husky 365. Both the OEM 20" and 28" Oregon. I can not get an oil pattern on anything when running the bar at it, though it is using oil. I have tried the adjustment screws and the guy at the repair shop said it is set fine for anything up to 32 inches.

Does the little valve in the middle of where the bar sits open, then the oil gets drawn into the bar, by the chain creating a vacuum, through the little holes on the side of the bar?

The manual warns against running the saw head without a bar in place so I have no idea about how to check this out.

I read some other posts about some Stihl having this problem. Seems to be related. I did check all the holes in the bars.

Kevin

The bar oil is pumped through the saw, if you are using oil then the pump is working.
Whether the oil is getting to the bar is another story.
Inspect and clean the oil holes in the bar, clean the bar groove and make sure the hole in the bar lines up with the oil hole on the power head.
You should be able to see a spray of oil appear onto a clean surface off the nose of the bar.
If you are using a long bar (anything over 24") make sure the oil adjustment screw is turned wide open.
A good supply of oil will greatly reduce wear on the bar and chain.

SasquatchMan

Even my "Stihls barely oil" Stihl will spray a little puddle of oil - check by holding the saw off the ground, but still parallel to the ground - run at full throttle the oil will be flying off as the chain finishes coming around the end of the bar.  Like Kevin says, it sounds like your oiler is working - the question is whether or not oil is getting out on the chain.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

rebocardo

How does oil make it from the oval in the middle of the bar to the chain itself?

Kevin

It's carried in the bar groove by the chain drivers.

SasquatchMan

A crazy engineer/inventor by the name of Jarabek reconfigured chainsaws in the 70s, and his lasting contributions are the anti-kickback design (with cambered drive links) and the oiler getting oil into the bar, and up into the chain via the drive links, which are shaped specially to do so!  Smart guy.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

rebocardo

How does it get into/unto the drive links?  By the small hole in the side of the bar, sucked in by vacuum, as it drips down the motor/bar mount?

Kevin

The oil is pumped into the bar and from there the chain traveling along the bar distributes the oil.
There's enough oil flow to saturate the chain.
Try this Oregon link ... http://www.oregonchain.ca/fb/fb_lubrijet_lubridam.shtm

rebocardo

Okay, thanks, that is what I needed, I think I understand it now.

Thank You Sponsors!