iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Not getting email notifications..

Started by Piston, August 16, 2010, 02:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

You do realize the forum does not send a notice for every new post, only that a post(s) have been made since your last visit?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

John Mc

In the past, I got a notice for each topic I'm following. I have a bunch of topics flagged, and anything I post in is set to be flagged. I used to get multiple notifications per day from the various topics. Now I get one every few days.

I am logging on more frequently now, since I wasn't getting notifications, and wanted to keep up. Does my just logging on stop the notifications, or do I have to actually read that individual topic to not get a notification for that topic?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Warbird

If I'm understanding Jeff correctly, yes, that is exactly what he is saying.  For the times that the forum 'sees' you online, no email notifications are sent (even on threads you are following).

Given this, it is important to note that even after you go 'inactive' or close your web browser, the forum records you as still online for 15 minutes after that.

Jeff, do I have this right?

Jeff

Not exactly.  If you get a reply notice, then come to the forum and read the topic, you should get another notification the next time the topic is posted on. However, if you do NOT come and read the thread that time, you will not get another reminder for additional posts until you return to read. This stops you from getting a couple dozen emails on a hot topic if you are not around.

The notification's should work on a per topic basis and on how you view them individually, not on just the fact that you visit the forum as a whole.

Just a note for those that have a default set for notifications sent on threads you post in. if you post in a lot of threads, and have been here a long time, that's a lot of data.  The personal preference settings tables of the database, which also holds that type of notification data, are the largest parts of the Forestry Forum's database outside of the topic replies themselves.

The forum really does not recognize you as being on for 15 minutes after you leave. It stops that the instance you stop moving data, which is after your last click and page load.  It just takes 15 minutes for that data to be purged from the database table that holds and returns that specific information.

Piston

Well,
Something happened  :D I checked my email tonight and had 30 something email notifications from the forum.   :o

Turns out, now that I got used to not using the notifications, and using the links at the top for checking the recent posts, I don't need the notifications anymore, nor do I want them. 

Oh well, guess I'll have to go back and 'disable' my notifications.  :D

However just wanted to let you know that the issue seems fixed, so good job!

This is about the time that Warbird comes back and says "I told ya so!"   :D ;) ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SwampDonkey

Seems notifications have stopped here again. Just a heads up. It may not be the case for everyone.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Can you give a little more information, like for how long?

Jeff

I've sent you two test emails. One from a forum address via my computer, and another directly from the server. Let me know what you do and do not get.

SwampDonkey

Not precisely sure what Happened Jeff. I got your test mails. But from 6:00 to 9:00 pm I never got notifications. BUT, I think it was a Thunderbird issue. I closed it a bit ago and reloaded and it retrieved the emails off the server. Thunderbird has been whacky since they changed some functions to add-ons. Like if I go offline and later log on to my internet connection I have to reset Thunderbird sometimes. So, I guess it's just troubles on my end for some reason.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

It had only been 3 hours? Lordy Donk.

SwampDonkey

Well...I just happened to be here during them 3 hours.   :D

Actually, I was a little occupied with maps here, so it wasn't too hard on me. :D Been going stir crazy the last 3 weeks, glad to see them maps to start getting busy again. ;)

Warbird