iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm still here

Started by David Freed, August 21, 2010, 07:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Freed

I just thought I would post a little note about myself. Some of you may know that the wood business I started a few years ago ended up taking me down financially. I have sold just about all of my equipment and have pretty much lost interest in woodworking since that all happened.

I belong to a few other woodworking forums and a few months ago I got involved in an online argument on one of those forums because I did not like the comments some members were making to another. To make a long story short, there are some pretty nasty people on that forum. I found out that those very people were kicked out of another forum a couple years before. That whole situation left me not wanting to post anything anywhere for a good while, and I still don't post nearly as much as I used to. I feel like I have more in common with the people at this forum than anywhere else, so even though I don't do woodworking any more, I hope you don't mind if I hang around and say something once in a while.

P.S. If anyone is into antique tractors, I have a question about an Allis Chalmers WD.

Tom

Hey David!!

Sure.  You know you are welcome here.

Chuck White

Glad you're back, David.

Pull up a stump and sit a spell.

You're right, this is a very friendly and informative forum!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

isawlogs

I dont know anything about Allis Chalmers ...  But hey dont ask to ask , just ask the question , someone hear will try hard to answer .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JV

Well stick around there's always something going on here.  I have some old Case tractors that I haven't had time to totally restore.  I really like the show at Elnora and try to get down there when I can.  A neighbor had WD's some years back, good tractors.  Might not be able to answer your question, but I could probably find someone who can. ;)
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Jeff

I consider Corley5 our resident tractor expert although we probably have many.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

David Freed

Thanks for the quick replies.

Chuck,
Have you ever been to Beaver Creek Farm & Building Supply, northwest of Dekalb? For several months I delivered there every Monday. I might have talked to you face to face if you were there on a Monday morning.  My company has had me doing job site deliveries lately and I haven't been there for 2 or 3 months.

My tractor question is not necessarily because it is an AC. I was able to buy this tractor recently for a really cheap price. Several small things wrong with it that I am fixing as I get time (really busy at work right now). I decided to look at the serial number to see what year it is. The 1st WD was built in 1948 starting with serial number 7. I have number 26. Would that make it worth more than others?

JV

David,

Given the number of tractors produced and 1948 not being really early in tractor production as a whole, I don't think there would be much increased value.  Now if you had No. 7 that would be a new ballgame.  A dyed-in-wool AC collector might pony up a bit more.  The economy has hurt the market some.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Okrafarmer

David,
always glad to see other tractor guys. Tractors are one of my greatest loves. I had two different AC's, a B and a CA. I don't really care for Allis Chalmers as far as that goes, since everybody I ever knew who had them were constantly having problems with them. Including my grandfather who had a CA, and my neighbor who had a WD-45. However, it never ceases to amaze me the intense cult following to be found for Allis Chalmers. They command a higher price than many other brands out there. I would say that for a serious AC collector, finding a low-serial tractor like yours would be an extra incentive to buy it, but not necessarily bring much of a premium on price. Still, I could be wrong about that, but I think it is mainly the John Deere collectors who go hog wild over finding all the crazy little variations. You know, the "open fan-shaft A's, four-bolt B's, spoker D's, and low-radiator G's."
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Piston

One of the reasons this is my favorite forum is because you very very rarely see people arguing and trying to prove that their way (or equipment or whatever) the best and ONLY way.....and if it does get out of hand, the mods step in and encourage a group hug  :D

You reminded me that my grandfather had an old John deere, not sure what model but it was a really old one with the skinny front end and offset seat and steering wheel to the left side.  My dad talked him into selling it because it just sat there.  Boy I sure wish that tractor was still around! 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

sandhills

I would like to add this is pretty much the only forum I will go to after reading a few others.  Jeff and the rest of the gang here do an awesome job, the atmosphere is always positive and helpful.  As for the tractors I wish you guys would quit callin'm antiques I still farm with em :D :D

beenthere

sandhills
Sure is ok to farm with antiques  ;D ;D

We'd enjoy see some pics of farming with them too.  :)

And agree with your assessment of this forum, vs several others.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Quote from: Piston on August 22, 2010, 07:33:55 AM

You reminded me that my grandfather had an old John deere, not sure what model but it was a really old one with the skinny front end and offset seat and steering wheel to the left side.  My dad talked him into selling it because it just sat there.  Boy I sure wish that tractor was still around! 

Sure must have been a JD LA or L model.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

I used to have John Deere L when I was a kid. I sold it when I went to college. Serial # 625203.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sandhills

beenthere, I have to admit it hasn't been the greatest year for our tractors.  I farm with my dad and between the two of us we have a (jd) '49 A, which is dads first tractor he ever owned, 2 4010s, a 4020, I bought a 4840 a few years ago, and a 1486 IH I've had for a while now.  We do all our own wrenching other than transmissions.  We had some bad luck this summer and had to bring the old A back into service for a while doing small jobs and chore stuff.  Kinda fun actually cause that was what I learned to drive on.  Oh, dad also has a 70 deisel its been outta service for a long time need to get it back together.  When you look around at all the parade euiptment these days can't help but feel kinda proud at what you get done with the has beens :)

Okrafarmer

Farm or log with QUEWALOLL. Quality Used Equipment With A Lot Of Life Left.

paul case

Quote from: sandhills on August 22, 2010, 10:28:00 AM
I wish you guys would quit callin'm antiques I still farm with em :D :D

i resemble that remark. once its in your blood to run them oldies the want ta never really goes away.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

We had an Allis WD tricycle that Dad bought in 1952.  I made many a round on that tractor. Get to the end of the row, hit the brake, spin it around, and back down the very next row.  That wet hand clutch was a jewel for easing forward, and of course stopping the wheels with the bushhog turning.

It was certainly a step up from the old 8N's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Magicman, my grandpa had 2 of those 8n's.  When they settled the estate both went down the road, sure wished I had one now!  Been lookin here and there and seems like when you find one ya want you don't have the money.  I remember ridin with him and playin on those tractors for hours, sure wished we'd kept one :'(  Probably couldn't do a whole lot with it but more sentimental than anything I guess.

paul case

i still have a wd. we use it and a woods finish mower to groom the lawn. my folks first tractor was a wd and they still have it. it is a tricycle front and has power steering . dad rolled it and broke the steering wheel and since it turned so easy he made about a 10'' steering wheel for it. i caught it on fire on the way to the field one day. it had a lot of grease and oil build up on the engine. i took it to my chicken farm and was using it inside the buildings working the floor up. we took the muffler off and put a short pipe on to get under the short ceilings of the chikn houses. when i put the muffler on to head to the field i didnt notice that it had a hole in the bottom of it. about 2 miles down the road the dry dust stuck to the engines healthy coating of grease and grime caught on fire. it quit me as soon as the flames became visible. i was smack dab between 2 houses 400 ft down the road either way. i finally located a bucket w/ holes in it and a 1 gallon water jug to haul water in after the 3rd trip i was about give out and my mom came along to help. burned the paint off the hood, melted the solder from the rad top and gas tank filler and burned up wires and ps hoses. we pulled it to the field and then hauled it home that night and had it back to the field within a week. it still has flame marks(no paint) on the hood.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sandhills

Dads old A has burnt twice, first by the original owner and then by him.  The hose rotted and cracked on top of the gas tank (between the gas cap and tank) both times.  Good thing about them oldies just replace the wires and hoses and you're good to go.  Might not hurt to let it cool down before refueling either :D :D :D

Faron

David, I don't know much about antique tractors, but a former high school teacher of mine does.  I haven't seen it, but he is said to have a huge collection of AC tractors, and loves to talk tractors.  I believe he is as knowledgeable as anyone in the country.  If you need to talk to him, send me a pm, and I will give you his contact information.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on August 22, 2010, 05:10:24 PMIt was certainly a step up from the old 8N's.

Well not to start a fight, but it didn't take much to be a step up from an 8N! Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually they were both built with different farming scenarios in mind and both have strengths and weaknesses.

Faron

Speaking of antiques...  I called a shop mechanic about a problem on one of our "newer"tractors.  The mechanic said, "We will need to talk to another mechanic- That tractor was built before I was born!"   :o :o :o  Heck, I have socks older than that tractor!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Faron on August 22, 2010, 10:57:57 PM
Speaking of antiques...  I called a shop mechanic about a problem on one of our "newer"tractors.  The mechanic said, "We will need to talk to another mechanic- That tractor was built before I was born!"   :o :o :o  Heck, I have socks older than that tractor!

lol, at least you aren't trying to log or farm with Rumely Oil Pulls and Case steamers! (or are you, woops sorry!)

Thank You Sponsors!