iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

windows...did I die and go to heaven?

Started by woodmills1, March 08, 2011, 09:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

doing what started as a small remodel
sheetrock down,  is that the aluminum siding I can see from inside?
sheethed in homostoe   commited to stripping the aluminum and the homosote and putting in plywood

Hmmmmm now its window time

tried craigslist for NOS windows  not much luck till last week

found 29 NOS Pella designer casements from the early 90's never installed

bought them all  pine in   aluminum clad out  high end

$2200 all 29  average $76 each 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Coon

Thats the price they should be new.  ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

mrcaptainbob

woodmills1

They really are nice windows, and pella seems to be a lot like woodmizer, in that they have already spent many phone minutes with me and at least 8 E-mails and I have not spent one cent with them
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

Burlkraft

That's awesome Woodmills  8)  8)  8)

I'm glad I'm not the only one to live in a house that every time you start a small job, it turns into an episode of Home Makeover  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

Pella makes a great window and their customer service is very good. They are based here in Iowa. The last remodel we did used Pella windows and doors, and we are very happy with the quality.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Troublermaker

It isn't only you that start with a small job and end up with something more than you expected. I use to do a lot of remodeling work. Bathrooms was the worst. 9 times out of 10 when you start taking it apart you find you had to replace the floor cause the toilet and tub had been leaking. Then when you pull the tub to replace the floor you find that a couple floor joists was bad and had to be replace. Some of the older homes they had sheet rock next to the tubs. It had been painted with a bunch of coats of paint but water still leak thru and ruin the sheet rock. If i got lucky I wouldn't have to replace the studs but if I did I would put a new one beside the old one. What started out to be $2000.00 job quickly turn into a 3 or 4 thousand dollars job.

clww

That was a great score! 8) 8) 8) I'm always searching on CL for bargains. It's also been a great source of free advertising for my business.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

1270d

glad to see that you got these nice pella's   the older ones were actually of better quality anyhow.   I was a professional pella window and door intaller for a year and a half.   the newer ones (c2008) quality seems to be slipping.   they are running on name recognition now.       still a good window though

woodmills1

I kinda figure 76 bucks a window is SWEET

woodmills1

should I try to gang these older pellas 127OD

or just space them one stud apart

it kinda seems the gang part was a factory option not a do it yourself

Handy Andy

The local dealers have the hardware to gang the windows together.  They buy singles and put them into units as ordered. Too bad you didn't get double hung so you could add storm windows.  In my experience the life of casements are between 15  and 20 years.  They get leaks between the clad and the wood, and the moisture rots them out.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

1270d

It is very easy to double/triple them up.   Just find a pella dealer and get the "mulling" strips.   like 3/8 in wide aluminum channel that clips into the grooves on the outside edge of the window frame.  set the windows next to each other on a floor and tap the strip in with a rubber mallet.    a little wobbly to set then but with a helper it shouldn't be a big deal

good luck and good score!

Thank You Sponsors!