iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Texas Drought

Started by Texas Ranger, September 03, 2011, 08:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Woodwalker on September 13, 2011, 10:14:03 PM
Folks in my line of work always use bars, beer joints, fishing holes and hunting leases as points of reference.

Whiskey salesman?    ;)   :D

They are considering the Chita/Trinity Co fire contained and that its domain was about 1,000 acres.   Thankfully, little to no wind and responsive firefighters.  

Thusfar, in this drought/wildfire time in the State of Texas, over 3,700,000 acres have burned, also consuming nearly 3,000 homes.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Woodwalker

If I did the math right, that is burning an area the size of the state of  Connecticut.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

tcsmpsi

Judging by conditions, daily wildfires, and the perpetual 'intelligence' of others, that number is likely to be considerable more. 

I haven't a clue, as of yet, as a cost of utility repairs.  I do not forsee an ability for the utility companies to be able to keep up with the necessary tree removal before all these dead ones begin their dropping.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Woodwalker

Our vegatition dept. is doing nothing but dead tree removals. The normal cycle trimming stopped over a month ago.

Kansas

If you want to see something ugly, Look at the National Weather Service Drought area, plus their assessment for continued drought. You may have already seen it, but they aren't offering one bit of hope for Texas. There isn't one single part of Texas not in drought. And Texas is a big state.

What do most of the cities and towns in Texas do for a water supply? Aquifers, rivers or lakes? How much longer can they last?

tcsmpsi

We use all of the above, Kansas.  And yes, they are all drying.  How much longer?  Who knows?   This is all new territory.  Nothing on record has been this vast and deep.  Yes, 268,800 sq miles is a lot of area.  Enough so to make a significant impact on a substantially larger area.  Perhaps, many of our search for seccession might be closer than expected.   The Federalis might be glad to let us go.   ;D

Woodwalker

Quote from: tcsmpsi on September 15, 2011, 09:31:05 AM
Yes, 268,800 sq miles is a lot of area.  Enough so to make a significant impact on a substantially larger area.  Perhaps, many of our search for seccession might be closer than expected.   The Federalis might be glad to let us go.   ;D

Secede? Nah, they better worry about us invading!

Kansas

If Texas is going to invade, they will have to go clear up to southern Nebraska to find water. Maybe Mexico has water. Its closer. Not sure I would drink it though.

Woodwalker

We got 1" of very badly need rain before daylight this morning. Another 20 something inches and we'll be about normal for the year.

thecfarm

Just hope you don't get it all at once.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!