iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a National Tree

Started by Ron Scott, January 13, 2001, 10:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Believe it or not, America lacks a National Tree. It even has a National flower, the rose, but no National Tree. The National Arbor Day Foundation has taken the lead in the process of selecting that tree. Cast your vote at their website http://www.arborday.org
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

From what I heard on the radio, there are going to be big pitches for the redwoods and the American chestnut.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

I suppose. At least the American Chestnut represents the east. How about that Pennsylvania black cherry??
~Ron

Gordon

A national tree now that is a toughie! I've been sitting here thinking about it for a good ten minutes and still can't choose just one. Each tree has it's own---well good and bad points. Do we want a tree for it's size only found on the west coast or do we want a tree that is more widespread through out the U.S.A.? Do we want a softwood or a hardwood?---I'll have to sleep on this one before I can make my mind up! What about a Holly? Na, the leaves hurt to bad when you step on them with bare feet.

Like it or not I believe that the redwood will be the winner. But I can't make up my mind as to what tree I want.
Gordon

Ron Wenrich

I've been trying to think of what would be a good national tree.  The chestnut has the sentiment of being a stately tree that man destroyed.

From a historic aspect, white pines were used to build most of early America, except for down south.  Even the English used the white pine for spar poles on their sailing ships.

How about white oak.  Not only is it a good wiskey keg, but, I believe they used them on early ships.  Majestic in stature.  Built out of oak.  Maybe a national symbol there.

Doug fir provides a lot of fiber for the more modern age.  After the East was all cut over, they moved west.  Besides, there are a lot of Christmas trees that are Doug fir.

Bristlecone pine is the oldest living tree on the planet.  Not as big as redwood, but older.

Redwood is the not the largest tree, but the sequoia is.  Redwood would be an environmental signal.  Instead of saving the redwoods, they would be saving the national tree.  More powerful.

A lot of early furniture was made from hard maple, cherry and walnut.  The woods are beautiful, but I'm not so sure they would make it to the tree list.  Although, you do get maple syrup from the maple tree.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Well, I went to the arborday site an voted with a write in. Apple Tree!

You can eat the fruit, you can use the wood to smoke meat. It is beautiful in spring, you can start one growing sometimes by simply discarding an apple core, there are many varieties with different color, size and flavor. Sour and sweet. Kinda like the make up of our country. They are hardy and you find them almost anywhere.

And oh yea, we have the story of Jonnie Apple Seed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Forester Frank

Apple tree was a good one that I had not thought of. I voted for the old, mighty, oak. Redwood is dead wood. Who wants a national tree that only grows in a small region of the country? Sure you can drive throught it, or live in it for a year like Luna Knucklehead, but I like something with a little more range.

I also like American Elm, but it doesn't take a genious to figure out why that one is a loser.

Let's not quibble. Jack pine is good enough for me.
Forester Frank

Ron Scott

DOGWOOD, MAPLE, OAK, PINE, AND REDWOOD. These are the top five vote-getters to date in alphabetical order of the vote for America's National Tree which is hosted by the National Arbor Day Foundation. Voting continues through midnight April 26, 2001. The people's choice will be announced on National Arbor Day, April 27, 2001. School children are encouraged to participate.  
~Ron

marty

I voted for the oak. There's just something about the oak. I guess the way it stands kinda like majestic. What I really found out cool about the oak when the loggers cut my woods is how a huge oak can stand up by itself when the inside are nearly gone. Other trees would break off and fall over.
                             marty;D

Forester Frank

I voted for oak for the same reasons, plus it is such a long lived species (with exceptions of course).8)
Forester Frank

Jeff

I do have a sneaking feeling it will turn out to be redwood. I even have said " I hope I get to see the redwoods before I die"  I still vote for Apple tree.

.OO
                       .OOOO
                      .OOOO'
                      OOOO'          .-~~~~-.
                      OOO'          /   (o)(o)
              .OOOOOO `O .OOOOOOO. /      .. |
          .OOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO/\    \____/
        .OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO/ \\   ,\_/
       .OOOOOOO%%OOOOOOOOOOOOO(#/\     /.
      .OOOOOO%%%OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\ \\  \/OO.
     .OOOOO%%%%OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\   \/OOOO.
     OOOOO%%%%OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\_\/\OOOOO
     OOOOO%%%OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\###)OOOO
     OOOOOO%%OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
     OOOOOOO%OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
     `OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
   .-~~\OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
  / _/  `\(#\OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
 / / \  / `~~\OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
|/'  `\//  \\ \OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
       `-.__\_,\OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
      jgs  `OO\#)OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
             `OOOOOOOOO''OOOOOOOOO'
               `""""""'  `""""""'

Forester Frank

Jeff:

You must have more time on your hands than I do!8)
Forester Frank

Jeff

You must learn two important words grasshopper:

CUT AND PASTE

marty

I can't cut mama caught me running with the scissors and I ate all the paste. What's a fellow to do???????????     8)   marty

Gordon

This has turned out to be much harder than casting my vote last fall. I've narrowed it down to the oak or the maple. So in my earlier post that I would have to think about it for a few minutes was an understatement to say the least.::)

Gordon

Jeff

Hey folks, you can go over to The Michigan Forest Resource Alliance and practice vote. Their poll will run until the National poll is over.

Gordon that way you can vote twice!

Gordon

I went and cast a practice vote--for the red oak. I've got alot of both red and white oak in my woods. Very beautiful trees. But the national tree is still up in the air for me. One thing to practice another to cast the real deal.

The thing is each tree has it's own strong points so it's hard to pick just one.

Gordon

Jeff

I still press my case for my write in candidate, the apple tree. Did you all read my post why? It's universal. I know,that you know, where there is a favorite apple tree, one with exceptional fruit, and beautiful blossoms. A tree that you seek out each, or every other year for a specific purpose.

What other tree does this? Maybe a nut tree, but it lacks the beauty of the blossom. You gain personal knowledge oof your own apple trees. With each pruining and spraying, you learn its structure, it's health, attention it got, attention it needs.

Do you know these things about any single oak tree? Maple Tree?
Apple sauce, apple butter, apple pie, apple this, apple that. Amazing.

Gordon

Ok here goes, I've chewed on red oak not very tasty and white oak is even worse. But it's the sheer structure of the tree that holds it's appeal. Watching the critters behind the house gathering up the acorns for winter. Walking in the woods and looking down to see an acorn taking root to a new generation of tree. The way they drop their leaves come winter. The red drops all at once and the white holds on and on and on to it's leaves.

This part may be alittle long winded about the maple but once again here goes. I had the advantage growing up to move around the U.S.. My father worked for a large construction company and when the job was done we would move to the next job often times states away. So I had the advantage of seeing alot of different forest types on the eastern half of the US.. I've lived it CT., NH., MI., IL., PA., VA., MD.,and now DE.

I was born it Conn. and my parents had a small farm in NH that we used to go to on the weekends. So in the spring time guess what we did--------tap the sugar maples------and from that we made maple syrup sure does take alot to make alittle syrup. Tap the tree hang the bucket with the metal cover. Nothing fancy like today with the suction systems running from tree to tree.

Any one from the northeast can vouch for the maple sugar candy, as I write this my mouth waters for some. Made in all different shapes, so sweet so good.

So we can't rule out maple syrup and maple sugar canday. Never had maple pie!
Gordon

swampwhiteoak

If redwood wins then I will renounce my citizenship. ;)  How can a tree that only grows in 2 states (and not much of those two) be our national tree?

Apple tree?  No way I would want some european import to be my national tree.

I voted for oak, it grows across the country.  White oak happens to be my favorite.

Is redbud still listed?  What a joke.  

Jeff

Hey Swamp Welcome!

Are there no Native Apple trees? I had no idea.

Bill Johnson

Swamp is correct, I was curious so I checked it out in my Silvics of Forest Trees of the United States.
There are no apple trees listed...I would suggest that this makes it an import.
It's amazing the stuff I learn from this board. :D

Bill
Bill

Roy

The national tree has to be the maple for numerous reasons! It was a source of 3 foodstuffs for the Native Americans.  The best place to get maple is the United States.  America's true game - basketball - uses maple for the floors, as well as other sports.  It is used for many types of cabinets, tools, furniture, flooring, staircases, toys (baseball bats), veneer etc.  The variations in the wood are incredible: sapwood/white, heartwood/brown, birdseye/white & brown, curly/white & brown, etc.  It is a beautiful tree year 'round.  When in color, it is the prettiest tree in the world, bar none.  Count the categories: food, colorful tree, wood variation, products.  If you had to pick a best friend that resembled a tree, you would want one as versatile, beautiful, and friendly as maple.  That is my story and I'm sticking to it.  Roy  
Roy

Jeff

Welcome Roy!

All good points.. er... except... Did you say...Gulp.. BASKETBALL?? I hope you mean NCAA.

swampwhiteoak

Indeed Malus sylvestris (I think that's right ;)) is a european tree.  There may be some native crabapples but most of those are imports as well.  

I would accept maple as my national tree but I wouldn't like it.  I like sugar maple because of its multiple uses but I loathe the red maple.

Basketball is my favorite game as well (NCAA of course) but I spent most of my playing days "on the pine"

Thank You Sponsors!