iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plumb Dangerous Thinkin

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 03, 2004, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

:-[ :-[ :-[ Geez, Now I wish I actually HAD that A/C unit I started this post about. :-[ :-[ :-[

I was just doing some deep thinking and came up with the idea of what the post is about.

If the A/C unit was placed completely inside a container containing 300 bdft of 12% MC wood, could I expect to get 6%-7% MC wood out, and roughly how long???  I'm ready to experiment.  Would another heat source be needed, and suppose I heated the wood first and then started the A/C unit???  Or should I place just the front (cool air) end inside the container???

I have a hot customer that wants 6% Cypress for a demo cabinet for his shop. He wants 1000 bdft on a regular basis, IF I can provide the 6% MC.  

So far, this thread is helping me understand how this drying stuff works.  Thanks, Guys
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodhaven

FD,
If you are already down to 12% I don't think I would waste the time to hook up a dehumidification unit(AC). It would take very little heat to go from 12% down to 6%. How come you want to go down so low. 8% is standard for most furniture grade.
If you put the window AC in a container you will want to work out a way to drain the water out.
Richard

Fla._Deadheader

This particular cabinet shop wants 6%. I asked the same question and he says he needs 6%???  He has a concrete block storage building and the day we were there, the overhead doors (2), were all the way up. He is also ½ mile from the St. John's River, where it is about 2 miles wide.

I guess he figures by the time he gets to use the stock, it will be around 8-9% ???

Would I need to exhaust the hot air to get the MC down???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Den Socling

Why don't you walk into this guys shop with a moisture meter. Meter stuff that looks like it's been around awhile and then tell him you will finish the Cypress to his EMC.  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

We talked about that after we left the shop. However, new customer and LOTS of unsold boards makes discretion the better part of valor ::) ;D ;D ;) :) :) :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Larry

Find a kiln that will dry it for you to 6%.  Cost should be in the range of 150 to 400 per mbf.  If it looks like it is going to work with the cabinet maker than think about buying a kiln.

1,000 bf on a regular basis is a lot more than any of the home built kilns using an AC or DH can produce on a regular basis.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodhaven

Den might have a different thought but I don't think you need to worry much about the water at this point.
If you are already down to 12% you don't have much water left. With it being that low I would throw 150 degrees at it for a day and recheck it.
Richard

Larry

WH,
Your right not much water left but it's the hardest water to get out and requires a lot of time or heat or something.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodhaven

Delivery it on a rainey day. Tell him it was 6% when you left home. :D
Richard

Fla._Deadheader

That's a concern that has me wondering. Ya know, we start the rainy season in May, and we have to go 170 miles, and try to keep this stuff at 6% ??? ???

Been thinkin about getting a storage bay up near the camp, and put a de-humdinger and small heater in there and let 'er dig. Add more heat near the end???
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodhaven

You must be making good money. That seems like a lot of extra work.
Richard

Fla._Deadheader

Just trying to figger out a way to get dry lumber, without spending a LOT of bucks.

IF we sell out and move, I will put in a Vac Kiln, like Den proposed in an earlier thread.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!