iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About the time I think I have a piece of a clue with oak leaves (red & white)

Started by Tee, April 22, 2013, 10:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tee

I was searching the I.D. Forum for some info earlier and one of the things I happened upon was a comparison of a shady side vs a sunny side of a tree leaves. And can the sunny side leaf of one tree look like the shady side leaf of the other tree? (or vice versa)  Well, that's why they say you learn something new everyday. So, does anyone have a white oak / red oak leaf picture handy in their gallery? And what recommendations are there for tree id books?

SwampDonkey

Generally, the red oaks will have bristles on the tips of the teeth or leaf margins or on the apex of the leaf and whites have rounded teeth/lobes. Then there are the chestnut oaks with similar leaf shape to beech and chestnut, but no bristles or inward pointed teeth like beech and chestnut do.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tee

I know neither of these have anything to do with oak, but not sure what they are.

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tee

The top one, a co-worker asked if I wanted the trunk of to saw but didn't know what it was.
The other, we were split on sassafras and I was thinking some kind of poplar. It is kind of unique how it has 2 totally different leaves on it.

Offthebeatenpath

I've always heard of Sassafras having three different types of leaves- no lobes (oval), bi-lobed (mitten), and tri-lobed (three pronged).  The twig and root pith makes a fine tea as well, if you don't drink too much. 
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Thank You Sponsors!