The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Bobcat Stunt Driver  (Read 2780 times)

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
Re: Bobcat Stunt Driver
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
I have heard it claimed that some guys can turn on a light switch with one. I can take out the post the light switch is on and still not turn on the switch. ;D

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »
I fell out the front of one many years ago while picking a hung tree off a stump on a side hill, cut by the chainsaw feller, because it was to big for the bobcat shear to cut. I was picking the tree up as I was backing down the hill, reaching the tipping point far quicker than I thought I might. Actually, never gave it a consideration until I fell out the front because I didn't have the safety straps on or the front door latched. Stupid Kid.  Luckily the fellerbuncher stuck in the ground and it just stayed there with the rear wheels exactly vertical above the front.  I reached back in the cab and killed engine. I went and got the skidder operator to pull me back over, and then that goofy bobcat flipped BACKWARDS down the hill.

I think these Bobcats give a false sense of security. They make you feel very secure in that cage.
I saw a guy flip one backwards.
You were lucky you didn't get hurt BAD Jeff.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
That bobcat got tipped over many times that summer.  We were cutting 70' aspen and the terrain was all cradle knolls. When you sheared a tree, you needed to lay it down right away because they were way to much for the machine. If they started to go sideways, you had to spin and lay it down. In those cradle knolls, many times you just could not spin, and those tall trees would flpp you on your side in an instant if you couldn't get turned before it went over. 

That was some of the best aspen I ever saw. On many you could get 6 ten foot logs, a stick of pulp, and the tree topped itself when it hit the ground, so there was very little limbing and topping to do before the grapple skidder snatched them up and took them to the slasher.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
I have had a bobcat on two wheels on more than one occasion. I decided I didn't like it so much and have worked on developing skills to keep all four wheels on the ground. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
i have worn out 4 Case 1800 series machines. Started on an 1830 gas unit in 1976. Put just over 4000 Hrs on that one then traded up to a 1845 in 1980 which is still in operation after complete rebuild a little over 800 hours ago. When I sold it to my Dad it had jsut over 11000 hours total with about 2200 on a rebuilt engine. Dad sold it one of my best friends as a parts machine after it chucked a Rod at just over 20,000 hrs. He actually ended up buy a second one that was the same year but had burned with about 1100 hours and had sat for about 20 years in a machine shed. Basicly built one good one out of the 2 in the frame of the one I bought new in 1980.

My next one was a 1989, 1845C that I put just over 7600 hours on when I traded to my 2nd 1845C in 1993. Put abou 2000 Hours on that before I sold it.

Since my last machine I have been on Cat for about 1000 hours, John deere for about 800 hours Ghel for about 400 hours.

It was said to me and of me that I good butter a slice of bread with a Uniloader. One guy even figured I could skin a bear with one. LOL

I can tell you that in the seat hours I have under my belt, I learned how to do a lot of things on a bobcat type machine that many guys have just shook their heads as they watched and told me I was crazy when I got off the machine.

The ability to operate a bobcat on 2 wheels is a necessity for many of the situations I have found my self in many times and was the only way to get the job done without engaging another type of machine. Once you have figured it out it comes so natural that you don't even realize that you are doing it. Its been a few years since I have been in the seat everyday for 8 or more hours and I may be a bit rusty now but I know what I could do given a week or 2 back in the seat for 8 hours a day but i am quite sure that i would not want to any thing close to what he was doing. I would stick to moving dirt and related materials including logs and lumber.

He is extremely good even if there are modifications that allow for him to operate the machine the way he does. KODOs to him as an excellent  operator.         
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
New Driver

Started by Paul_H on General Board

22 Replies
Last post September 05, 2002, 07:40:12 PM
by Paul_H
xx
Driver Education

Started by JJ on General Board

41 Replies
Last post June 30, 2020, 10:43:35 PM
by Old Greenhorn