iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cradle of Forestry - Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina

Started by warren46, July 09, 2014, 05:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

My wife and I attended a hymn sign in Morristown, TN Monday.  On our way back to Matthews, NC we stopped at the Discovery Center for the Cradle of Forestry in the Pisgah National Forest.  This site is operated by the U.S. Forest Service and documents the first school of forestry in the United States.  While building the Biltmore House near Ashville, NC George Vanderbilt hired a young man by the name of Gifford Pinchot as  "Forest Manager" for the extensive estate. Pinchot, who would later serve as the first Chief of the USDA Forest Service.  Today the Cradle of Forestry in America is a 6,500 acre Historic Site within the Pisgah National Forest, set aside by Congress to commemorate the beginning of forestry conservation in the United States.

Liz and I enjoyed a few hours in the Discovery Center and taking a short hike in the forest.  Several pic are attached.

This saw was used in a hardwood mill to cut logs to length before the logs entered the saw mill.  Since I am 6' 1" you can see that the saw could trim a fair sized log.

Hiking through the woods we came upon a representation of a early "portable" mill.

Power plant for the mill.

It is not all there but it does represent the basic of a circular mill.

A little farther along there was a restored narrow gauge Climax engine.

The exhibit also included a representation of a log train and an American Crane log loader.

The area is heavily forested and includes some impressive white pine as well as various hardwoods. If you are in the area and have a few hours to spend in a quiet setting I highly recommend this site.

www.cradleofforestry.com

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Den Socling

curdog

That's a real neat place. In college we hosted a timber sports meet at the cradle every October. We camped at the pink beds and had quiz bowl in the building and the outdoor events directly across from the entrance to the visitors center. That's a beautiful area with looking glass falls and sliding rock.....  I need to make a trip over there again.

samandothers

Warren thanks for sharing.  Neat place for sure. Been to other things in that area but not there.

beenthere

Do you figure that big slasher saw might buck about a 36-40" diam. log... ? 

Maybe not much more. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I love looking at old stuff.  Maybe it's a sign of......
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!