iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally got my Timber Wolf

Started by 21incher, October 02, 2014, 03:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Last summer I purchased a Echo SRM-225 weed-wacker to replace my old broken Stihl FS85R and like it so much ( low vibration, sips fuel, and starts with 2 pulls max) I decided to sell my MS-290 (before that needs costly repairs) and switch to a Echo saw with a 5 year warranty . So last week I sold my broken FS85, my MS-290 with bars and chains, and a old Poulan 16" on craigslist and came up with more then enough money to buy the Timber Wolf. Turned out when I got to the dealer they were also giving away a really nice storage / carry case, a quart of bar oil, and a hat if you bought a saw. So I now am a new Timber Wolf 20" owner.

I also picked up a nice filing kit for the 3/8 chain that includes a DVD of how to file a blade. One more Stihl BR400 back pack blower to sell on craigslist and I will be Stihlless. After reading all the positive comments on here about the CS590 I think I made the right choice for a good firewood saw, and the dealer is wonderful. One thing the dealer recommended is that I use the premix canned fuel for winter storage so I won't have trouble starting it in the spring. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

luvmexfood

Congrads. I am happy with mine. Right now, I think it is the best bang for the buck on the market.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

7sleeper

Excellent idea for a complete switchover!

Looks great your saw! To be honest I admit that I am envious!  ;D

Hammerheadc4

Congrats!! Nice package deal.
Like my Echo saws.
I kept my Stihl's too though.
Massey GC 1710
Cub Cadet LT1320
Cub Cadet GT2542

Craftsman 358.355061
Homelite 330
Stihl MS-180C
Stihl MS-270
Echo CS-600P
Echo PPT-280
Dolmar PS-421

Kodiakmac

Quote from: Hammerheadc4 on October 02, 2014, 05:52:58 PM
Like my Echo saws.
I kept my Stihl's too though.

Aye...me too...just for auld lang syne and the odd big bruiser! ;) 
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

21incher

I am amazed at how much more power it has then the 290 I sold. It shakes a little more at idle then the old 290, but has about half as much vibration while cutting and feels about the same weight and balance. I love the compression relief for starting and so far it starts 2 pulls every time (one with the choke out and then the second with the choke in to start). The dealer filled it with the canned fuel and I wonder if that makes a difference? Oil coated sawdust sure makes a mess of a new saw quickly. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

luvmexfood

Quote from: 21incher on October 02, 2014, 06:23:20 PM
I am amazed at how much more power it has then the 290 I sold. It shakes a little more at idle then the old 290, but has about half as much vibration while cutting and feels about the same weight and balance. I love the compression relief for starting and so far it starts 2 pulls every time (one with the choke out and then the second with the choke in to start). The dealer filled it with the canned fuel and I wonder if that makes a difference? Oil coated sawdust sure makes a mess of a new saw quickly. :)

I went from a Stihl 029 to the Echo 590. Could not believe the difference. In fairness the Stihl is old. I still use it some for logs I have skidded that are a little dirty. Try to use the Echo only for falling and bucking if no chance to hit the dirt. Usually log fairly close to tractor/truck. Will take the Echo for the big work and my little Stihl 170 for smaller limbs etc. I cut different since it is the family farm and try to get anything marketable out of a tree then pile the brush as much as possible.

Try to leave an area ready for grass seed when I'm done. Have plenty of "out of date" fescue seed so I double up on what I sow and usually get a fair stand of grass.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

JohnG28

Isn't the Timber Wolf the 600p, not the 590? The 600p being a little better saw as well I believe.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Quote from: 21incher on October 02, 2014, 03:19:31 PM
I think I made the right choice for a good firewood saw, and the dealer is wonderful. One thing the dealer recommended is that I use the premix canned fuel for winter storage so I won't have trouble starting it in the spring. :)
You did very well with your choice, really nice setup you have there and it sounds like you have a  great dealer to back you up.
I use the canned  premix fuel in a couple of the saws in my tree service fleet (smallest and largest) that I don't use that often. Never have to drain and discard stale fuel ever again.
This stuff has a shelf life of 2 years after being opened and makes the saws run pretty good too as a matter of fact.
It might be a little expensive for you if you do alot  of  cutting in your busy season, but do use it for the last few tanks before you put it away for the winter.
I know a few fellas  who buy it by the case and that's all they use swearing they'll never go back to the gas pump and mix up their own batch.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JoeB

Wow, kinda' expensive.
I for a LONG time have ONLY used premium gas w/ mix. Good thing here in da' garden state is they CANNOT put alocohol in premium. Cheers!

HolmenTree

Well I've been burning saw gas for 40 years now and even still remember the smell of the old leaded premium gas. I remember gas sitting in a pail for over a year including sitting through a hot summer and it was still almost as fresh as when it came out of the pump.

Sure can't say that about todays gas whether it's got ethanol or not.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

21incher

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 02, 2014, 10:16:14 PM
This stuff has a shelf life of 2 years after being opened and makes the saws run pretty good too as a matter of fact.
It might be a little expensive for you if you do alot  of  cutting in your busy season, but do use it for the last few tanks before you put it away for the winter.
I know a few fellas  who buy it buy the case and that's all they use swearing they'll never go back to the gas pump and mix up their own batch.
That is what the dealer told me about the premix. He said any ethanol or mtbe in the home mix can cause damage to rubber parts over time and absorb water that can cause problems later. As the saw will only be used in the fall and sit the other 8 months I think I will follow his advice. With premium gas over $4.00 a gallon and the oil over $3.00 it really only a little over doubles the price of the fuel.

SlimJim

Howdy-

Great choice-you'll really like that saw. There is an outer bucking spike available that fits around the clutch cover bar bolts. Your dealer can order that if you like.

fyi that saw is the shindaiwa 598 in orange. I also stay far away from the auto pump gas ethanol. If you look up CAM2 dealers they usually are non ethanol race gas for about 10.00 / gallon. Yes it will be leaded-2 stroke love leaded gas (wrist pins last longer)

thecfarm

Get that critter in the wood!!
That premix may be twice as much,but a carb rebuilt cost some too and rubber lines. Labor cost too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Got to use it for some small stuff today and was wondering is there any kind of a break in required with a new saw. I have been taking it easy on it so far but am wondering if that is the right thing to do?

thecfarm

I broke mine in the way I use it. But ask your dealer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

I've been a Stihl guy my whole life, but haven't heard very good things about their new saws. My saw is an 028 super that is probably about as old as I am. Maybe my next saw will be an Echo. It seems like you boys like em.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

21incher

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 03, 2014, 11:14:26 PM
I've been a Stihl guy my whole life, but haven't heard very good things about their new saws. My saw is an 028 super that is probably about as old as I am. Maybe my next saw will be an Echo. It seems like you boys like em.
I was a Stihl guy also 10 years ago when I walked into my Stihl dealer and spent almost $1400.00 for new equipment and accessories that I was told would last a lifetime for a homeowner. I decided to dump all my Stihl equipment after having the coil go on my FS85 this summer. After doing some online searching it looks like when Stihl switched over from making their own electronics to outsourcing them to china the problems started and replacement parts are expensive. With the Echo warranty, the electronic modules are warrantied for life and the Stihls have good resale value so I decided to switch over and have 5 years worry free. 

beenthere

Quoteso I decided to switch over and have 5 years worry free.

I wish you luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

21incher

Well the CS-590 is wonderful saw. It definitely has quite a bit more power then my old MS-290, less vibration, and it uses less fuel. Sold some more old stuff on Craigslist this week so I decided to head back to my Echo dealer today and purchase a additional saw for smaller stuff. Came home with a CS-310.

They also gave me the free case again which I really like to protect the saws.

I ran a couple of tanks through it today and it is a great little lightweight saw that chews up anything under 8 inches easily. I like the fact it has low vibration, but this one takes 3 or 4 pulls to start when cold, also it has a non adjustable oiler that puts out a little to much oil, but better to much then to little.

The case is a little large for this saw, but it holds my chaps, extra chain, and wedges.

Ohio_Bill

Picked  up a cs590 last week. I have ran a few tanks of gas through  and it seems  to be a very nice saw.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Deererainman

I've had mine 2 weeks.  Have cut 7 truckloads of hedgeapple and 4 loads of ash.  I've been impressed with the power.  It has relegated my MS 441 and the Pro Mac 700 to back up saws.

Yatt

The Echo CS-590 is probably the best deal out their right now for the budget minded.  Way better saw than an MS-290/291.
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

Thank You Sponsors!