iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkeys 2015

Started by Magicman, March 14, 2015, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Who will be hunting turkeys this Spring?

Our season opened today.  I did not hunt the opener, but one Grandson did.  I have not heard from him, so apparently he did not score.  He is probably making an evening hunt now.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pabst79

It will be April 15 for me, that's 1st season and my wife will hunt the next week. With the early thaw this year, I won't have to wear snow camo for the 1st season  :D :D, always look forward to spending time in the woods on early spring mornings, all the birds and other things starting to stir after a long winter. Gobble Gobble  :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

clww

Our season in VA starts the middle of April, too. Runs for five weekends into the middle of May.
I have not missed a spring chasing them at least one day since I started hunting in 1980. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

E fan

Arkansas' isnt until the 18th of next month I have a permit for my favorite place the first four days so maybe my honey holes will pay with 1.7 million acres and 175 people

Magicman

Most of the Arkansas hunters are all down here in the National Forest and everywhere else that they can go and some that they can't.  Everywhere that you drive....Arkansas tags.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Our season is still about a month away. I chase them some but am not real good at it. Still fun to be up in the woods. Had more fun watching an old hen raise 6 poults in the pasture last year than hunting them.

When he was in high school my son and his buddy went one morning and came in late so I figured they had gotten one. I asked where he was and the said "He'd have come if he could." Turned out they had a hot gobbler answer every time they yelped but would not come. Finally they tried to sneak up on him and when they finally got closer he was locked up in some farmer's pen.

Good luck. Be careful out there. Too many people shoot at sounds instead of checking closely now days.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I just got word that he got a turkey this afternoon.  10" beard and 1" spurs.

He and I were together when he got his first turkey, probably 10 years ago.  He makes me proud.   :)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

ours don't start till may 1st  with all this snow and cold I think our turkeys are going to be slim picking this season    we can only hunt till noon   MM that is a nice bird your grandson got  :)

drobertson

bout a month to our season, I plan on doing some chasing, what's everyone go to call for getting the stubborn ones in?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

I use my mouth/voice, or my Lynch box call.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Autocar

I pan on hunting Indiana and Ohio favorite time of year turkeys and mushrooms O Boy !
Bill

Chuck White

Spring Turkey season here is "the month of May".

You are only allowed to hunt until Noon!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: drobertson on March 15, 2015, 09:03:21 AMwhat's everyone go to call for getting the stubborn ones in?
Mouth and Lynch Box, but for call shy turkeys the best call is not.  That is when you have to rely on strategy.

beenthere

I don't call... used to with little evidence it did much good.

Now I sit, and listen, and watch, and wait.  let the decoy(s) do the work. Has been very effective for me..

like MM strategy  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Too bad here, got to wait til April 20, and the birds are thundering out back good this morning, at least four, crows are really assembling too,  and I too have employed the silent mode, even went into the belly crawl a few times, down side to the belly crawl are the ticks!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

celliott

Quote from: Magicman on March 14, 2015, 10:11:56 PM
I just got word that he got a turkey this afternoon.  10" beard and 1" spurs.

He and I were together when he got his first turkey, probably 10 years ago.  He makes me proud.   :)

Jealous of your turkey season starting now... Ours doesn't start until May. But we have 3 feet of snow still, so I guess I can't complain!

My grandfather was with me when I shot my first turkey. And to complete the circle, 3 years ago he was hunting with me and we bagged a double, his first turkey! Lots of cherished memories hunting :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

drobertson

Sounds like to me your grand pa like to watch folks get their bird,, I'm sure he has passed many a chances. 

timberking

We start April 1.  Heading west for Rios the second weekend.  Come back and head to Lake Ouachita for 8 day camp out (forestry school friends 38th year) maybe chase up and down the mountain maybe sit at camp, listen to them gobble, enjoy another libation. 

Ron Scott

A fall turkey flock feeds at the apple tree. There is no fall turkey hunting season in this area.

~Ron

LAForestry

Nice Ron !!! I've been seeing some good groups of young birds the last few weeks, which is rare considering the amount of raccoons and coyotes we have around here. Also have seen some of the old birds I couldn't seal the deal on this past season, a couple of them actually let me get within 50 yards of them just to taunt me. That's ok though, I know where they hang out, let them hooks grow!!!

WV Sawmiller

Some years we have a Fall season. it is open this week. I have been seeing plenty and heard 3 go to roost below me last week.  I assume is a bunch of gobblers in a bachelor group. The hens and young ones would be in much larger groups. I'm not going to hunt them this year. Instead taking 9 y/o granddaughter on a youth deer hunt Saturday and don't want to mess around my stands to mess up her chances.

Think I'll just go catfishing and replenish the freezer this week. may go with granddaughter Saturday morning then take her fishing to run my lines after.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

We have never had a Fall season where I live.

LAForestry

We have had it hear before but I've never hunted them in the fall. Always just leave them alone and look forward to listening to them gobble and watching strut around easing toward me while I'm talking sweet to them.

JGL

Here in this part of Canada, New Brunswick turkeys were never seen. In the past several years they have crossed from Maine and to the south western part of NB. Last week while hunting for partridge, I saw 3 wild turkeys in the Coles Island area, which is between Sussex and Moncton. There is no reason why they can't live here, the climate is no worse than in Maine. Maybe in the future, we will also have a turkey season.

Thank You Sponsors!