iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Windows 10 Icon

Started by Magicman, June 02, 2015, 08:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

So after the last Windows update, there is now an Icon in the Task Bar telling me to "Get Windows 10".  Says that it is a free upgrade.

I am satisfied with 7.  I guess that others are getting this same notification??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

OK, maybe this is old news and everyone knows except me but this is what I found:  LINK to Forbes article
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I went to the "Show Hidden Icons" arrow thingy and told it to hide the notification.  Since this is Windows that we are dealing with, I'll bet that it does not stay hidden.

Mooseherder

I've never had Windows 7 at home.  We went from XP to Windows 8.
I preferred xp over 8 and may upgrade to 10 after there's a few more reviews.

Shotgun

I'm going for 10.  Have 8.3 now and I'm not having any problems, but 10 is going to be on my computer within a 3 or 4 months.  Lots of good things included. They'll be taking you along to all up dates that follow, if you go to 10 within a year.  It's going to be just like the iPhones and iPads, update wise, from what I'm reading.  If you snooze (too long), you lose.  The full release is July 29, 2015.  The icon will just reserve it and they'll load it on July 29.  You can say 'yes' with the icon, and then change your mind before July 29.  You'll get a year after July 29 to decide to take advantage of Microsoft's offer.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Just what I figured, when I "restarted" the Windows 10 notification came back on the task bar.  I'll bet there is  no getting rid of it.

Ianab

I'll upgrade my Windows 7 and 8 boxs to 10, maybe 6 months after the release, but before the free upgrade comes out.

Let them get the worst of the bugs out of the new system.

The saying goes, "You can tell the pioneers, they're the ones with the arrows in their backs"  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Shotgun

The following will tell you how to remove the icon.  It's fairly easy, if you will read and can follow directions.    :D

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/310462/watch-out-for-this-weird-windows-message/2
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

But as soon as Win 7 updates again, I'll bet that it will be back.   ;D

21incher

I use a  windows 7 computer as a DVR with a network tuner and windows media center. I just read if you get the upgrade to windows 10 media center will be gone and you cannot go back. So make sure that the new version will fill your needs before upgrading. Makes me wonder what else you will lose.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

clww

My wife started her computer last night and got the icon prompt, too. It's a pre-registration for when it comes out, at a time in the future......
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

21incher

Well started the upgrade yesterday on my desktop and after messing with it, powering down when hung up, and a lot of waiting, 7 hours later and it is now working great. So far I like it, much better then win 8.1, it seems much faster and it has this sexy sounding woman in it that helps eliminate typing. Looks like you give up a lot of privacy and internet explorer disappears, but it seems like I made the right choice upgrading. The download is quite large so make sure you have high speed internet if you upgrade.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

clearcut

The Windows 10 upgrade(?) is about a 3 GB download according to the Wall Street Journal. Media Center and its ability to play DVDs directly, go away. There are free alternatives.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/windows-10-we-answer-your-most-pressing-questions-1438724304

An article on LifeHacker addresses privacy concerns:

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

As does one on How to Geek:

http://www.howtogeek.com/221864/digging-into-and-understanding-windows-10s-privacy-settings/

Anything has to be better than 8.1 - nearly unusable.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Mooseherder

I got Windows 10 download yesterday.  Had to fix my email account after the download. 
Windows mail is horrible.

OneWithWood

Agree that windows mail is a non-starter.  It worked well under 8.1 but I cannot get it configured correctly under 10.
I am also having problems inserting the emoticons into my posts on the forum now.  Could this be an Edge issue? 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

21incher

After the upgrade when I started the mail program it said there was a problem with my settings and fixed them automaticaly. Same problem with the emoticans with win 10. Be sure to reset your privacy settings after the upgrade.

clearcut

Just set up Windows 10 on a low quality 8" tablet. I like it so far, but I don't use Mail, nor do I view the Forum. I have a real computer for that.

It does make the low end tablet somewhat usable. I could only use Modern Apps (tiles) on the tablet. Apps that relied on the desktop (anything useful) had touch targets that were so small that they were untouchable. Things work much better in the tablet interface. Cortana recognizes language quite well, though she has some difficulties carrying out some simple commands like "Note, buy milk". Windows phone will add a ToDo. I suspect Cortana will improve over time. I set it up so that I can just say "Hey Cortana" to get it to activate. Quite helpful on a tablet.

One tip, if you are searching for ways to solve Windows 10 issues, put "Windows 10" in quotes. That ties the phrase together for the search engines. I have been getting a lot more relevant hits - related to 10 verses 8, 7, and Vista when I did not use the quotes. 

Can't find an answer for emoji. You might want to try another browser like Chrome.

Magicman

I am downloading Win10 on one of my laptops.  I started it at 3:41 PM, and it is about done (hopefully) so we shall see.   ???   :P

Magicman

:o  This will be a trip for sure.  Thankfully I still have one laptop on Win7 so I can work through this Win10 thing.   :P

Jeff

If you were going from 8 you would definitely be moving up. I went from 7 on my laptop, and other than a couple glitches it was pretty harmless. Remember,  if you have an issue, you won't be the first with it. Use google to work through any issues. No stress man... 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

From Win7.  Right now I am unhappy because of the way my picture albums are.   :-\

clearcut

I believe you get 30 days to uninstall 10 to go back to 7 if you need to.

Settings / Update and Security / Go Back to Windows 7

petefrom bearswamp

be an old luddite, I dislike change.
wish I had know this, I paid a guy to reinstall 7 after hating 10
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I found my pictures and put them where I have access to them, so I am OK.  I'll wait a bit before I change my other laptop....if I do.