iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberKing 1400 produce enough?

Started by Dust-collector, June 09, 2015, 08:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dust-collector

Hello, I'd like to start off by introducing myself. Im new here and located in central florida. I've done a lot of research on this site before actually registering, and I've already learned alot! Feel free to criticize me if part of my plan is not good.

I'm in the pallet business, and I'm wanting to buy a sawmill to help cut back on how many boards we buy.

Ive been checking out the timberking 1400 with the essential hydraulics. It fits in my price range and I like how it comes with the 23hp motor and the "essential hydraulics" standard.

I'll be cutting mainly pine with a little oak mixed in as well. My plan was to go ahead and cut the logs into 40 & 48 inch lengths. Thats how long the boards I use are. Then cut the logs into cants and then cut 3/8 inch thick boards.

I know for my price range, I won't be able to cut enough to supply my whole operation, but Im content on only supplying myself with part of it.

My question is, will a saw like the timberking 1400 produce enough boards to justify the investment?  Another option i thought of, is buy a used resaw and use the sawmill for primarily cutting cants. The manual labor isn't too much of a concern, but I also understand the more time doing the log loading and turning takes away from cutting.

Thanks in advance for any advice! I plan on learning alot more as time goes on!

Tom the Sawyer

D-c,

I wouldn't make a practice of trying to mill logs of that length efficiently.  Barely long enough to sit on two bunks and too short to fit on the loading arms without major modifications.  You would be better off to mill 8' logs and then chop them to 40 & 48".  You would cut your processing time per log considerably.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dust-collector.  Yup, I agree with Tom that they would be much too short to efficiently handle.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Dusty,

I concur that you should cut the longer logs then chop to the shorter sizes. I recently cut a bunch of short logs (5'-6') were common and they are a pain to handle. Not familiar with the TK 1400 but I'd bet you will find the clamping and rotating systems are more designed for 8' plus logs, I know my mill is set up that way.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Thats way to short!  It'll take you longer handling them and opening them up than it's worth.  Just opening up a log takes time.  Once you have it squared up and you're ready to saw straight through (unless you have to flip it for stress relief)  it goes fast.  So what I'm saying is that the extra handling and opening up shorter logs, would have been quicker to just buck em at 8' and saw em fast then worry about cutting them to size once you're building.  Besides, if you're bucking with a powersaw, you aren't cutting to a perfect 40" or 48" unless you make some jig.  If you don't have the powersaw right on the money, lots of times you could start a bucking cut at 40" and end at 41" or worse 39".  I wouldn't even bother with the short stuff.
Boy, back in my day..

Dust-collector

Alright, I can see where it would be better to cut longer logs. I have many different saws that my guys use to cut long boards down to size, so that wouldn't be a problem. And I didn't even think about cutting the log crooked.

I'm currently trying to find somewhere within 6-8 hours to physically see multiple saws to see what size I like best. It's just hard not having any experience with a sawmill to be able to guess how much wood a saw this size would be able to cut. I plan on having the saw run 40-50 hours a week.

Larry

You could put on a 8' or some multiply of the length needed.  Once you get the log to cants crosscut on the mill with a circular saw to the required length.  Make 4 or 5 slices off the cant and repeat.  I know from experience its faster than trying to cut them to length on a chop saw.

Of course you still have to deal with the dog board.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

shakebone

Do you have a resaw with a return on it ?for your pallet business it could suit you better,  hard to make time cutting 3\8 boards on a mill
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

4x4American

I would suggest going to see the mills you're considering in action before pulling the trigger on one.  Even go tail for someone running one for a day.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Quote from: Dust-collector on June 09, 2015, 09:47:47 PMI'm currently trying to find somewhere within 6-8 hours to physically see multiple saws to see what size I like best.
Adding your location to your profile here will help someone to find you.  You will find many folks here willing to help you.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dust-collector

I'm sorry about the location, I just added it to my profile. And I currently don't have a resaw, only because, my lumber suppliers provide me with 3/8" boards. But I can try to find one local if that'll make board production faster.

As you all can see, I have alot to learn about sawing!  :D while searching the forum more, I came across cooks saws. Ive read up on the mp32 and watched their videos. Is that a comparable saw to the timberking 1400? I've noticed once you pick a general size, it's like comparing ford to Chevy as far as brands go.

I just want to take a second and say thanks to everyone with the suggestions and tips so far!

Dust-collector

And to give you all a idea of my pallet operation. We have 2 horizontal band pallet dismantlers, 2 disk pallet dismantlers, 4 tables saws, 1 notcher, 6 pallet builders, 3 forklift drivers, and 2 truck drivers all working 5-6 days a week. But I plan on adding 1-2 guys to run the sawmill once I purchase one.

ladylake

If your logs are straight leave them long but id they are crooked by all means cut them to 4' as you will get way more out of a straight 4' log than a crooked 8' log , if not huge logs I can see it going good with a good off bearer turning them with a cant hook' You would need a machine to set the short logs on the mill, a skid loader with grapples works great but a forklift or front end loader would work also.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hunz

Just my opinion, new is great, but a well maintained used mill is even better. If you  are set on a TK, have you looked at any used b-20's. I bet you could snatch a good one for just slightly more than a new 1400. I personally have regretted going smaller on my first 2 previous mills, you won't regret hydraulic,  ever!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

4x4American

Agree with a used mill the bugs should be worked out
Boy, back in my day..

LeeB

Personally, I think a resaw would be more what you need.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dust-collector

I've setup with a couple companies that will demonstrate multiple saws so I can see which one I like. I plan on leaving next Thursday evening and hopefully be back home Friday night or Saturday with a new saw! I'm probably going to get a resaw, but right now it's cheaper for me to buy the boards instead of cants. My plan is to get a sawmill and spend some time getting used to it and cutting as much as I can, and start looking for a resaw in the future. Thank you all for your suggestions and tips!

shakebone

I saw a lot of cants for pallet company's and they sell cheap a resaw would prob make you more money and they are a lot faster than a mill working it down that small
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

woodman58

I have a 1400. It is a very good mill for my purpose. With 2 off bearers I can cut 1400 BF of 4/4 in an eight hour day. This is red oak. Pine would probably be quicker. Not sure, I haven't cut any pine. I have simple set works. The scale does not have a set for 3/8". You would have to use the tape scale. Unless they can program the computer for 3/8". Ask them. There easy to work with. If you buy a TK1400 have them add an extra toe board jack so you can raise either end of the log.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Thank You Sponsors!