iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using sycamore for B&B

Started by Qweaver, January 09, 2016, 01:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I've used sycamore for building sheds but I can't remember if I used it for siding.  If it is painted I think it would OK?  I know it is not worth a hoot if out in the weather but maybe OK as painted siding...What do you think?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

WDH

The spiral grain could cause you some fits. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

Mmmm...  The flecks and rays in Sycamore are beautiful.  I'd think you'd have a higher use for sycamore.  With that said I recently salvaged a bunch of barn rafters that are sycamore.  I'm thinking of using them for interior window trim.  Would they work on the exterior?  Probably.  I'm using white pine for B&B, and I don't see why sycamore wouldn't work.  Any wood will work as long as it can dry out and does stay wet.  Pine and oak barn siding have lasted 100+ years so why not.  Just keep it away from the ground.  The bottom of the old barn siding used to rot because dirt would splash up and they would dry out at the bottoms as well.  I'm doing an 18 inch veneer stone at the bottom which will get my siding off the ground.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!