iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Windows of...

Started by HiTech, March 11, 2016, 08:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

opportunity shut very quickly when the big boys start hauling to a mill. A friend was cutting hemlock and had a good market. The mild winter caused the demand for biomass fuel to slow. Those guys that chip started hauling saw logs and the market soon collapsed...flooded with wood. It is hard to compete with these guys. All that big fancy equipment comes with big not so fancy payment books and the need to produce, produce, and produce some more to stay afloat.

millcreek40

X2 I have gotten a letter from finch each week for the last 3 weeks saying I can bring 0 loads of hemlock this week
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

xalexjx

x2, a few pulp buyers locally were being over supplyed and dropped prices/ shut off some markets. Glad im lucky enough to have a few fiber agreements, not sure what will happen in a few months when they expire.
Logging and Processed Firewood

dgdrls

Gentlemen,

Did Fort drum slow-down their chip demand??

Millcreek40 where do you bring your loads for Finch?

Thanks

Dan

Firewood dealer

Don't feel bad. Things here in Maine are no different. We had a wood buyer from a chip mill come around about 10 years ago begging for wood. It is a long haul from our area and most of the contractors from around here refused to haul to them. We started to put some in to help broaden our markets and it turned into something of a regular deal. Now, after 10 or more years of loyalty, things have some how changed. As soon as things basically collapsed (softwood) at Verso, we started seeing a lot of trucks in there that you never saw in there before. Funny thing is, some of those trucks were some of the guys that wouldn't haul in there before. So, when the wood buyers opened the gates to all the newbies, that tightened our quota up substantially. So much for years of loyalty. I think the wood buyers are only concerned with filling the yard and it does not matter where it comes from.

millcreek40

I only live about 20 mins from finch. I work alone & only cut hemlock sometimes anyway  so it's not a big deal to me that I can't haul hemlock now. I can always cut it in the summer not that I like limbing hemlock in the summer.but will do whatever I have to.the pine pulp is the same way here .the guys who only log in the winter but produce a lot of wood over fill the wood yard. The small guys get shut off even though they are glad to see us in the summer time when not many people are cutting. I haven't been able to get rid of any pine pulp for two weeks at rws

xalexjx

can you send pine to ip? i know they dont pay as much, theres another place up here the buys it too, pm me
Logging and Processed Firewood

millcreek40

I don't have a contract at ip. I haul my own wood. I am cutting harwood logs now & doing firewood.i would think after mud season things will loosen up again. At least they usual do . I guess that's one advantage of being a one man show. Just cut what ever you can get rid off.construction season will be starting soon.lots of the guys cutting around here only cut in the winter then there off to there summer job

HiTech

Quote from: dgdrls on March 11, 2016, 06:46:39 PM
Gentlemen,

Did Fort drum slow-down their chip demand??

Millcreek40 where do you bring your loads for Finch?

Thanks

Dan
I am not for sure but heard Fort Drum is not taking as many chips. Mild winter. Gas/oil is cheaper than wood chips. Won't be long and they will be bringing chips in from overseas. If the CEO's think they can put another million or two in their pockets then watch out.

Mountaynman

just seen a article in the paper down here that says lyonsdale has 60 days before shutdown guess I'm glad I didn't buy a chipper thru them last year didn't see any money in it the big boys will be back hard on the round wood it will be tough with B & B burning no scrag market either
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Thank You Sponsors!