iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone buy any machines across the border?

Started by Just Me, November 23, 2016, 04:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

I am in Michigan and found a machine I have been looking for in Canada, but don't really know the in and out of buying across the border. More afraid of customs on our side to be honest. Have not crossed the border for 20 years.

sprucebunny

Go to the US Customs website. You can find out if there is taxes because of where it was manufactured. Most farm/forestry equipment is exempt or was a few years ago but they got me once on a machine made in Sweden even though it was over 25 years old which is also excluded from taxes. I just got tired of arguing and didn't have the number written down.

It will take a while but you can dig thru thier rules and write down the applicable numbers of the paragraphs in thier pages and pages of exclusions.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Just Me

Thanks.

The machine is 575 volts, which I would have to change, and made in Italy, so it ain't look'in good so far. I have Emails into the auction house to see if they can get it to me reasonably, but no answer so far.

Larry

Andries

I cross the border often, no problems at all.
You're right, I worry more about my Canadian side customs people. Seems we treat our own a little harder?
Stick to the facts, tell 'em what you brung, and most of the time they just want to see your passport, collect the taxes, and wave you goodbye.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

dlh944

I am over in Northern Wis looking at an older Mill in Ontario. I was told it is easier for an American to bring equipment from Canada to the US than it was for a Canadian to bring the equipment down to the US. I contacted the boarder agent post and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue bringing older equipment down to the US.

GAB

If you are bring back a US manufactured machine it is usually very easy.
Make sure the name plate is on the machine and readable.
One of my brothers brought back a new Honda ATV (made in SC) a few years ago and the paperwork fee was nominal.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

VTwoodworker

I bought a spindle sander in Toronto off eBay 5 years ago.  The advice that I got at the time is to make sure that you have a clear bill of sale showing that you paid for the machine online or in person.  When I came across the border they (US border patrol) quickly matched the bill of sale description with the machine and sent me on my way.  The sander value was about $750 U.S. and it was manufactured in Canada.

That's all I got as I haven't been back since.

It you get the machine it would be good to hear your experience as it seems this is a common question.

Thank You Sponsors!