iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree twist

Started by charles mann, January 28, 2020, 04:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

What would cause a tree, during growth, to twist/spiral? 
Unsure of oak species, but i saw an oak around 30" diameter, with a very noticable twist/spiral in the bark, which im assuming the twist is also in the wood structure too. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Jeff

My understanding is it is an adaptation to a difficult growing condition, as the spiral grain makes for a much more strong and stable structure. Think wind or difficult rooting conditions and things like that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

charles mann

Would this type of growth cause an issue during drying, more so than wood with less to no twist? 
The tree i saw looked like a dang corkscrew, which is why it caught my eye. 
They are phasing up to start widening the road in that area and its on public, state right of way, so it'll be coming down. If im hm, plans are to retrieve as many as i can haul off
Temple, Tx

doc henderson

yes I think so.  I believe @GeneWengert-WoodDoc spoke about this last year.  we can see what he has to say.  I guess you can always cut it and see.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

charles mann

Quote from: doc henderson on January 28, 2020, 07:46:57 PM
yes I think so.  I believe @GeneWengert-WoodDoc spoke about this last year.  we can see what he has to say.  I guess you can always cut it and see.
Ill hang a bar in it, but if it wont be worth the value of a politician, i'll use it for cooking or heating, not waste a good band on it. But i'll wait on mr. gene to comment before writing it off as heating wood. 
Temple, Tx

Jeff

Id not waste my time. Twisted log, twisted lumber.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Unless someone has a project for twisted wood, I see firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

There are some trees that commonly grow with spiral grain like sweetgum, blackgum, elm, hackberry, and sycamore.  In the commercial markets, these species are usually sawn into pallet wood or low grade industrial wood.  The reason is that the spiral grain leads to drying defects, especially twist and warp.  If these woods are quartersawn, they are more stable, but in the Industry, that is not economically viable.  If you do saw the log, and it is large enough, you could quartersaw it to minimize the twist and warp. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

I was always told that spiral grain was genetics.  Some species are more prone to it.  I've seen it in tulip poplar as well as some of the other mentioned species.  

Our wood products prof told a story about there being a problem with telephone lines in Wyoming back in the 1950s.  Us old pharts remember when the telephone lines had crossbars on the poles and they carried a lot of lines.  Major lines used to run along the railroad beds.  

The problem they had was that the lines were being broken in certain areas of the line.  They were rather remote, and they thought maybe somebody was cutting the lines.  It turned out that the poles were lodgepole pine.  They are very prone to spiral grain.  Apparently, there were a couple of poles with opposite twists and as the humidity level changed, they would turn.  Eventually they would break the wire as the twist was magnified by the crossbars.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

reride82

Can confirm the twist in lodgepole. As I have been taught, most start with a left hand twist and as they mature they either develop a right hand twist or straight grain. Those that stay with a left hand twist are very prone to twist as they dry. So, power companies developed standards for the amount of twist they would allow for their poles. It is also a concern for log home construction as they twist as they dry in place.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Jesse Duke

Quote from: WDH on January 29, 2020, 07:55:06 AM
There are some trees that commonly grow with spiral grain like sweetgum, blackgum, elm, hackberry, and sycamore.  
I'm not sure how common ironwood is but it twists pretty noticeably as I recall. 

Thank You Sponsors!