iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Forestry Grad: Procurement Job opportunity

Started by Ashelle1, March 04, 2020, 04:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashelle1

Good afternoon all,

Background: I am a 31 year old veteran who has recently graduated (May 19') with a B.S. in Forestry and Natural resources. I've done one internship as a technical forester, with a few weeks of procurement experience. I just completed a contract working for the department of defense to pay off a semester of student loans.
Since my contract work was coming to a close, I submitted interest in a few companies and have since received two requests to interview

After interviewing for a full time position managing spray crews around the South East (I received a job offer last week), I was given an opportunity to interview for a procurement position for a very large company. I've told the company that offered me a job that I needed to interview with another company before accepting or declining their offer. I feel a bit unprofessional, but also crummy for doing so (BREAK).

This procurement position usually requires 3+ years of procurement experience and typically a masters in business.
I have years of experience developing teams and executing projects (within the military and while working during college and during my contract work). I feel fairly confident selling myself to the gentlemen interviewing me, but I'm often concerned if:

1). Can I use this experience in communication and team building (prior experience outside forestry) to translate towards working for private land owners, working with loggers, and negotiating bids?
2). When you've interviewed veterans in the past, was there any error in translation between their experience and how it could be applied towards your company?
3). Was there something you wished a person who was qualified in many ways, but lacked the practical experience had brought up?
4). I'm wearing a blazer and tie, I believe that's appropriate? (Yeesh, I can't believe I'm actually asking this one).

I feel qualified, but I would very much like them to understand that my life experience working with teams and developing relationships is just as important as a graduate assistant ship/degree.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Respectfully,
Aaron

scsmith42

If it's a large company, their HR folks should already be familiar with hiring military vets with the resulting team development skills.

Is it a managerial position?  If so can it lead to other opportunities within the company and does the company have a lot of good future potential?  If so I'd say by all means go for it.

If it's more of a individual contributor type of role, then you'd really need to evaluate the pro's and con's of working for a large company - outside of your educational expertise, versus being a leader on a smaller firm but within your discipline.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

BradMarks

Procurement (purchasing) covers a wide range.  Supplies and equipment, raw materials (logs), contract services, and such.  Years ago I interviewed for a log buyer position, was promised low pay (IMO) and all the overtime I wanted. Left the interview saying no thanks.  Managing spray crews?  Aerial, hand, motorized application.  Chemicals, H2B labor crews, securing contracts? Long hours. Mobility?, the south east is a big area.  To me it seems you have skills and qualifications that are desirous of your prospective employers, so your choice should be whatever fits your needs personally. Family?  And remember, taking a job doesn't mean you'll be there forever. Opportunities every day.

Ron Scott

Where are you located and what school did you graduate from?
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!