iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a turning observation

Started by Dan_Shade, May 30, 2010, 09:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I was thinking today, that using turning tools is kind of like touching the brakes while riding a motorcycle through a curve....

done properly, it can slow you down, done incorrectly it's disasterous!

I spent the entire day turning, and only had one catch.  I was trying to cut a cove with a gouge.  I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong when I start the cut.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

QuoteI haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong when I start the cut.

You have to lead with the bevel.  If you lead with the edge, it will catch. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

it sounds so easy  :-D

I need more practice.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

It's like learning to drive a stick shift.  Once you find that sweet spot in the clutch, you never loose it. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tyb525

Dan,

Try "resting" the gouge on the wood, with the handle down farther then it would be if you were actually cutting. Now slowly raise the handle up, bringing the cutting edge down, until it barely starts to cut. That should make it easier. Also, when you sharpen your gouge, is your bevel straight, or more of a curve from the grinding wheel? I've found that using a gouge straight off the grinder is harder cause it wants to catch easier.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

CHARLIE

Place the bevel against the wood and slowly raise the handle until it starts cutting wood.  Don't raise it any further.  If you are "Riding the bevel" you have control.  If you come off the bevel and only  the cutting edge of the tool is in contact with the wood, you have no control and are courting disaster.  Always "RIDE THE BEVEL".  :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Lud

Catches can be very exciting and a bit scary.

The way I dealt with it was in the lathe  I chose to invest in.  The DVR-XP by Teknatool is computer controlled and WILL STOP automatically in a catch.  Think of the safety implications .  Nowadays I have a catch,  lean back and say "DanG", the unit pauses for a second and starts spinning again IF IT CAN.
Otherwise,  I'll punch the Start button again and keep going.

As far as edge manangement goes, Doug Thompson of Thompson tools convinced me to try the Oneway brand Wolverine sharpening jig and I went with the II version that swivels and controls angle in two planes.   Long story short,  I now have beautifully sharp tools and only grind away a little smidge,....,  the tinyist bit,....., I mean, I mean to say,  an RCH of steel  on every regrind.  Very happy with it.

Sharp is where it's at.  The lathe is a time machine.  I stand next to it and hours disappear!! :o :o :o

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dan_Shade

Thanks for the input guys.  Good stuff there.  I use a safety drive center, my lathe is ancient  :-)  no fancy computer stuff here :)

I think what I'm calling a "catch" is what Alan Lacer calls a "skate", where you get the tool flung to the side leaving a spiral "design element".

I've gotten to I only get them sometimes when using a skew to cut a bead when I'm almost done with rolling the skew over, and when I am starting a cove with a gouge. 

I have a video of Richard Raffan where he has a catch/skate cutting a cove, and he says something, but I still don't know what it is!

Left Coast Chris

I have found that catches are mostly caused by not riding the bevel as mentioned but, just like you note with Richard Raffan, everyone gets catches occasionally especially with difficult woods.  The worst for me was a dry oak burl trying to cut the inside of a deep bowl.  I finally gave up and went to scrapers.  We all like to push the limit when cutting out the inside with a gouge before we have to go to scrapers.  That is what makes it fun and interesting.  The type of wood though can really make a difference.   We all love those long ribbons but try getting one with a dry oak burl..... :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!