iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An observation

Started by Frickman, September 08, 2016, 03:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Through the years I have noticed something about the urban media and how it portrays rural people, especially the more hardscrabble of us. It nearly always tries to include whatever livestock is around into every picture it shoots, whether it is a still photograph or video. The intent of this is to try to say "look how poor, backward, and uneducated these people are, they own chickens, goats, cattle, whatever". Now where I come from livestock are wealth, so the more goats or cows a family owns, the wealthier they are. And they aren't hungry either. Anyone else notice this bias?
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

easymoney

an old song has a line  everybody has to have someone to look down on. people from the north and the cities seem to think that everyone from the southern rural areas are not as smart as them. we all have an old couch with a hound dog sleeping on it on the front porch. maybe an old pickup that has not ran for years sitting on blocks in the front yard.

thecfarm

I feel it's been that way for years. The people that don't farm,look down upon those that do. I guess getting paid money for doing something that you don't like is better than getting paid for something that you like.  ;D
Almost like the loggers,I would like to see no logging and farming go on for whatever time it would make others to open up thier eyes and realize logging and farming is not bad or to be looked down onto.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

Quote from: thecfarm on September 08, 2016, 04:43:13 PM
I feel it's been that way for years. The people that don't farm,look down upon those that do. I guess getting paid money for doing something that you don't like is better than getting paid for something that you like.  ;D
Almost like the loggers,I would like to see no logging and farming go on for whatever time it would make others to open up thier eyes and realize logging and farming is not bad or to be looked down onto.

Same with truck driver's if you stop all trucking for 7 day's you would have an upriseing  ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

FM,

Do they also show us eating grits?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jwilly3879

It is like that here in the Adirondacks. Those who live here are trying to eke out a living a beautiful but economically depressed. Tend to be looked down on by the visitors to the area.

Ron Wenrich

Do you think the urban media understands the difference between livestock and pets?   They pan on them because they think they're cute.  It also projects a calm and laid back lifestyle.  I've never felt anyone has looked down upon me for living in a rural area or worked in a blue collar job.  I've felt some bad vibes because I have a college education.  Sometimes you have to stand back and figure out who's judging who.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

coxy

I like when they look down on me this way they don't ask me to help them  ;D

red

Are you referring to Pennsyltucky ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Carson-saws

Hold on there fellers....I can tell you that MANY "northerners" envy those not stuck in the "burbs"  BUT,  when it comes to raising a family in a particular line of work and not wanting to have to drive 100 miles TO work, well, a choice has to be made.  Personally I COMPLETELY admire and  appreciate "rural folk" and that "truck driver" statement is absolutely the TRUTH.  I think it should be part of driver ED to ride in a "big truck" for a week so those in a car can see just how stupid they really are when it comes to the ability TO drive. sheeeesh.  Now...I know I know whatsa comin, but, let it be said, please, I, in no way shape or form do I "look down" on folks based upon where they may or may not be from.  WELL....ceptin that grit part....BUT HEY....one mans food is another mans poison. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

timberlinetree

I don't trust or play into the media. Its controlled!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Sixacresand

you talk to a farmer driving a new $60k pickup and he tells you that he sold a few cows and stopped by the Ford place and paid cash.  I don't ever remember being able to do that with my 8 to 5 job.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Didn't happen with my 8 to 5 job either.  Neither did it happen with my farmer dad.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on September 11, 2016, 09:39:49 PM
Didn't happen with my 8 to 5 job either.  Neither did it happen with my farmer dad.   :-\

There's the one kind of farmer, then there's the other. . . .

Believe me, I went to school for farming, and wanted to do it, and couldn't get a good way in. Kind of just as pleased I didn't, now. You can make money at it, but you must get your ducks--er other livestock-- in a row bigtime. And so much of farming finance depends on the government and insurance companies today, that I lost a lot of the interest I had in it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Thanks John.  That will never get too old or too worn out to describe our Farmers.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

I meet new farmers every month or so at the farmers market in town.  Seems most are immigrants making a living off an acre or two.  Last week I was talking to an older couple who started with less than an acre about 6 years ago and are up to almost 5 acres now.

They must be having an off year as they were driving a really old truck.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Frickman

Just for the record, I am from Pennsyltucky.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Sixacresand on September 11, 2016, 09:10:15 PM
you talk to a farmer driving a new $60k pickup and he tells you that he sold a few cows and stopped by the Ford place and paid cash.

Way the markets are now you would have to sell off your entire herd to make just the down payment on that 60K truck... :(

florida

I think you're giving way too much credit to the mostly low intellect local talking heads. The cameraman usually sets up the shot and of course they always want  something interesting in the background. In a city they can get in front of an interesting building or group of people. In the country there isn't much and not many people are going to care about seeing trees.  However, animals are always a good draw and people who might switch channels will stay to see the horse, cow, cat, etc walking across the back of the scene.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

sandhills

Thank you John from me also, I'd never heard that before, I enjoyed it.  Also I've always said anyone allowed to drive should have to get a cdl first, and yes chevy, my herd would be about right  :D.

Jeff

Knock off the political commentary. I deleted the post of which i speak so I didn't have to get rid of the entire topic.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den Socling

The topic invites political commentary. But I won't make any more.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!