iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porch Decking & Overloaded Trailer

Started by Magicman, March 13, 2024, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Both roofing contractors have been here, measured, made notes, and will furnish me with an estimate.  One would be all stick construction and the other would be all metal construction.  We shall see but I would prefer the all metal version.  I just hope that the estimates do not exceed my $$.

61 is soon.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

That may sound good on the surface but it would not an option with either of these contractors although we did talk sawmilling a bit and one of them may need some old timbers resawed.  They have materials to buy and labor to pay and I doubt that either of them would be interested in a whack of 2X4's.   :wink_2:

61 is soon. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

MM I think we may have a Palindromic sort of relationship here, for me 16 is coming.   ffwave
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I finished laying this second tier on March 21. 
IMG_5411~0.JPG
It was laid tight with absolutely no gap between the kiln dried pressure treated 2X6's.

I took this picture this morning which shows:
IMG_5540.JPG
Between an eight to a quarter inch spacing between the boards.  I am pleased.

An odd thing that I found while handling the 2X6's was:
IMG_5410~2.JPG
I noticed that this one had a plastic plug indicating that the treatment facility had taken a core sample.  I suppose that they were verifying the pressure treatment penetration depth.

The plug was wood colored and you can see where I scratched the surface.

doc henderson

MM, kiln dried after treatment by you?  or just standard lumber, kiln dried and then pressure treated.  The saturation, weight and MC of PT wood varies greatly.  It seems like a good idea for more refined building with it, to get it down to a similar lower MC before building.  avoid the big gaps.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

JD Guy

Quote from: Magicman on April 16, 2024, 09:29:56 AMI finished laying this second tier on March 21.
IMG_5411~0.JPG
It was laid tight with absolutely no gap between the kiln dried pressure treated 2X6's.

I took this picture this morning which shows:
IMG_5540.JPG
Between an eight to a quarter inch spacing between the boards.  I am pleased.

An odd thing that I found while handling the 2X6's was:
IMG_5410~2.JPG
I noticed that this one had a plastic plug indicating that the treatment facility had taken a core sample.  I suppose that they were verifying the pressure treatment penetration depth.

The plug was wood colored and you can see where I scratched the surface.
Thanks for the pics, especially those of the boards you butted up during installation. I know what I'm going to do when I replace my deck now ffwave

Very nice by the way!

Magicman

Quote from: doc henderson on April 16, 2024, 09:44:44 AMor just standard lumber, kiln dried and then pressure treated
Yes, Dried and then placed into the chamber where a vacuum is pulled, immersed in the chemicals and then pressurized.  

This lumber came out of the treatment plant the morning before I picked it up that afternoon.  It was soaking dripping wet.  I picked the lumber up on March 13th and had it all laid by March 27th.  I know, I'm slow but there ain't but one of me.  :wacky:

Thank You Sponsors!