iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I thought I was done!

Started by cutterboy, April 25, 2020, 08:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

I thought I was done cutting firewood for next year but I changed my mind. I'm burning more wood this spring than I expected because it's been so cold and rainy. Also, I have sawed up all the logs I have on hand and the ground is too soft to get my tractor into the woods to do some logging. However, I could get my zero turn lawnmower into an old pasture that's grown up with trees and brush and vines.

There is a lot of nice firewood sized ash trees.

I did manage to get my saw stuck once. You would think that by now I would have learned if you saw too close to a crotch the stems will break apart and pinch the saw bar and chain. I had another saw with me so it was no big problem.

I loaded up my little trailer and took trip after trip to the barn.

I guess when you come down to it, I'm never really done with firewood.

All the best, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Old Greenhorn

Nobody is ever done with firewood. ;D
 A little habit I have developed when bucking trees is if there is any chance of a pinch I cut bout halfway or less then grab a felling wedge out of my pouch and tap it in to keep the kerf open. Pretty much zero pinches since I started doing that. Of course, you have to remember to put the wedge in, which I have neglected once or twice. But my memory is improving over time. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Al_Smith

A zero turn and a little dump trailer works good for soggy ground .Flotation type tires on both work out well .Fact I used mine over the last few days to cut a few loads .No hurry,a few loads a day is enough .
Just the natural die off in the woods most of the stuff you don't even have to split ,cut it and burn it .In that case a little saw,like 50 cc works better than a larger saw .Plus they run forever on a tank of gas . 

rykermcdermott

I can't relate, I NEVER get my chainsaw stuck... :D

Just kidding, I bring two along as well. Thanks for the pictures/post!

upnut

I told the salesman when I bought my last chainsaw "well, there's my gym membership for the next few years, lots of exercise!".... :D...There is something very satisfying about cutting a load of firewood to warm your home, good job!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

jmur1

Nice work out there - great tools and job well done.  Ha Done - that is only applicable to the days work!  

jmur1
Easy does it

dave_dj1

Nice! I wish my dump trailer was ready to go so I could get some more wood. I can't believe how much I have been going through this spring.

cutterboy

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 25, 2020, 11:47:30 PM
A zero turn and a little dump trailer works good for soggy ground .Flotation type tires on both work out well 
Al, I bought my zero turn to mow my lawn but now I use it year round like a little tractor.

cutterboy

Quote from: dave_dj1 on April 26, 2020, 05:31:12 PM
 more wood. I can't believe how much I have been going through this spring.
I know! It's crazy! I've got both my stoves burning full tilt right now.

Holmes

It has been a cold month.  I'm still burning and cutting here in Royalston.  I don't cut ash often , I have just a few of them on the land.  Plenty of cherry, red oak, and beech  though.
Think like a farmer.

Al_Smith

Quote from: cutterboy on April 27, 2020, 07:33:46 AM
Quote from: Al_Smith on April 25, 2020, 11:47:30 PM
A zero turn and a little dump trailer works good for soggy ground .Flotation type tires on both work out well
Al, I bought my zero turn to mow my lawn but now I use it year round like a little tractor.
Actually I do too .If you raise the blade up it will hop right over little downed saplings in the woods .Even with turf tires they do pretty good even in the mud .If you put tractor type tires like a Dixie Chopper they could go any where I think.However lugged tires are a little tough  on the lawn .

upnut

Just hauled "Last Load of the Season!!!" number five up to the house... :D...Just in time for the freeze and snow predicted for the next few days. Another good reason to keep a big stockpile of firewood ahead! 

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

hedgerow

Upnut
 We are looking at frost here over the weekend too. We have all our crop corn is out of the ground. Usually our last frost date is April 10 not May 10 we had part of our corn frosted off last year also. Seasons seem to be changing. I am back to loading the Garn every day again and the furnace is running as I am writing this. Its in the lower forty's this A.M. Planting is done for now so I hope to get back to cutting some hedge trees down for this winters firewood. I wish I had the last load done for the season. I haven't even got started. Take care and stay safe. 

cutterboy

I am still cutting firewood and I'll continue cutting firewood until the ground in the woods dries out enough to allow my tractor to get in and do some logging. It has been a wet cold spring although the last few days have been good drying days. There are areas in the woods that are dry enough for my tractor but getting to them is the problem. There is always a wet spot that has to be gone through. A few more days and I think it will be ok. 
   Today I cut along the edge of one of the fields. There is an ash tree that is dead or dying 20 feet into the woods that is leaning toward the field. I hope to get that tomorrow if the weather permits.

Thank You Sponsors!