Started by WoodchuckCanuck, October 28, 2001, 03:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodchuckCanuck

Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
Gander, Newfoundland, Canada
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com

CHARLIE

I've always been fascinated by chainsaw carving, though it's a bit noisy when it is being demonstrated in a parking lot at a grand opening. The chainsaw carver will be wearing ear protectors, but all the spectators are just standing there going deaf. :o   What amazes me is that the artist has to look at a log and see a statue in it. They then cut the excess wood out down to the statue. When I look at a log I see bark. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

There's a guy in the Tallahassee area that does carvings all over town. He leaves his handiwork on the stump for all to enjoy, till the stump rots, and his work is history. One of his most interesting ones was a large ball, inside a cage. I still ain't figgered out how he did that.  His most famous, and spectacular, one is a pair ol leaping dolphins carved out of a huge live oak stump. It stands about 25 feet tall, with the dolphins each about 12 feet. It was just an old, dead tree on the shoulder of the road, but now it is a work of art.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

marc

When I was out looking for a new saw i saw a carving one it amazed me how small the bar was. Also woodchuckconuck I was looking at your site, you got some nice stuff I was wondering do you sell any or just do it as a hobby. I myself do a lot of woodworking.

Thank You Sponsors!