iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red mulberry

Started by limbrat, May 10, 2007, 10:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

I think it is gorgous wood and would like to use it in some exterior doors. Does anyone know its shrinkage, it seems pretty soft will drying harden it?
Thank you
ben

WDH

Limbrat,

I have been looking for shrinkage values and cannot find any for red mulberry in my references.  I think the wood is at a least medium to medium hard after it dries.  Not sure about the shrinkage though.  Probably not as bad a oak, hopefully.  I bet it will make some fine doors.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

limbrat

Yea myself couldnt find anything in grin are any where else. I did find referance to it having a low shrinkage but no numbers maybe because saw logs are rare.  Thanks for looking
ben

WDH

From my observations, it is not a long lived tree, and the older trees are prone to going hollow.  That is probably why there is not much mulberry lumber.  I love the grain of the wood.  I have one tree about 14" in diameter that will make a nice sawlog one day when I decide to re-incarnate it into some furniture.  See my post Mulberry in Tree ID Forum.  The tree in that post is not that 14" sawlog, it is too valuable for those exquisite fruits to ever cut down :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Buzz-sawyer

If it is like my Illinois mulberry it is pretty darn hard and stable....seems to be kin to hedge. ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dodgy Loner

Yep, it's a pretty hard wood.  According to "Identifying Wood" by Bruce Hoadly, the average specific gravity is 0.66, which is between red oak (0.63) and white oak (0.68).  It should make some fine doors.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

If I remember right, it has few to moderate tyloses while black locust and osage orange are fully occluded?

limbrat

Great i couldnt find much on it and knew that a seed planted here would produce. Im going to wait and get them sawed on a bandmill with some other stuff. I was questioning the hardness cause the end grain is fuzzy like you get on real soft stuff like black willow, may have just been a dull spot in my chain. Thank you
ben

Thank You Sponsors!