iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Say when

doctorb

Like SwampDonkey above, I can foresee a lot of comparisons to past annual flu related death statistics once this is done.  May not be an apples to apples comparison, as the flu has never been this infectious, never required this kind of social disruption to prevent spread, almost never caused the death of younger, healthier individuals, and never required the use of so much medical equipment, personnel, and ICU time.

I think it interesting that the original projections were statistically based upon only 50% of the population adopting the social distancing guidelines.  I don't know about you, but I don't know anybody who hasn't taken this extremely seriously.  It certainly appears, although early, that our efforts are being rewarded, which is fantastic.

My goal has been to NOT get this disease on this first wave of infection.  No prophylaxis against it.  No treatment for it.  If I do get infected in the future waves, I hope that there are some treatments that help "soften the results".
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

gspren

Quote from: doctorb on April 08, 2020, 12:35:21 PM
My goal has been to NOT get this disease on this first wave of infection.  No prophylaxis against it.  No treatment for it.  If I do get infected in the future waves, I hope that there are some treatments that help "soften the results".
My feelings exactly! I'm the same age as doctorb and have been through my share of illnesses, if or more likely when I get this I hope they have established treatments that work.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

Local paper mill trying to help out with paper products for masks, disinfectant wipes and gowns. Product is being tested first.

Potential mask and gown makers turn to Maine and N.B. pulp and paper company | CBC News
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

brianJ

My goal has been to get a low initial dose barely notice Im sick and keep on with life.   Easier for someone that lives alone and has not missed a day of work due to sickness in 15 years plus. 

Bill

Reminds me of past history -

Long time ago - while still in school - I wanted some money - so my folks said " We're not stopping you from getting a job . . .  "

Well I ended up working at car dealer mostly in the new car parking lot. I worked outside 3-4 hours a day, summer/winter, sun/rain, snow/ice and never got sick.

Eventually I got out of school and got an office job   :( . The first fall I immediately got sick and told the Dr that I was dying . He asked why and I said that I never got sick working outside but now inside - protected - I was really sick . He replied - nope - that outside I got plenty of fresh air, sunshine and UV rays killed the bad bugs/germs . Its inside I was in danger . . .

So - imho - the simple way to beat this would be to give everyone a chain saw, cans of gas and bar oil, and send them into the woods  ;D ;D ;D

alan gage

Quote from: Bill on April 08, 2020, 01:41:45 PM

So - imho - the simple way to beat this would be to give everyone a chain saw, cans of gas and bar oil, and send them into the woods  ;D ;D ;D
But then there would be a shortage of prosthetics.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

Quote from: doctorb on April 08, 2020, 12:35:21 PMI don't know about you, but I don't know anybody who hasn't taken this extremely seriously.

I've been very surprised at how everyone seems to have gotten on board. We've had customers come in who I expected to really complain about the measures being put into place by the government, and a couple of them started to, then stopped and said "well, I guess we do need to slow down the spread." This was early on. I haven't heard anyone say anything against it for a couple weeks.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

doctorb

brianJ - You bring up an interesting point about this virus.  Is the severity of the disease related to the initial exposure to the pathogen?  My bet is no, but thats just an opinion.  As we have no immunity against this virus, it may take longer for the symptoms of the disease to show up with a smaller initial inoculation.  But once it starts replicating inside of your cells, it's your bodies' reaction to the infection that may differ from one of us to the next.  Maybe someday we will be able to detect ahead of time who among us will get a mild case, and who will get a severe illness.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ianab

Quote from: Bill on April 08, 2020, 01:41:45 PMThe first fall I immediately got sick and told the Dr that I was dying . He asked why and I said that I never got sick working outside but now inside - protected - I was really sick . He replied - nope - that outside I got plenty of fresh air, sunshine and UV rays killed the bad bugs/germs . Its inside I was in dange

I can agree with that. 
I used to surf regularly all year round, and some mornings I'd be melting frost off the car to drive to the beach. But you are then out in the fresh air, and usually giving the sinuses a good saline rinse. Seldom got sick. You don't catch a "cold" from getting cold. You catch a cold from keeping warm inside, near someone who already has the virus. Simply getting cold gives you hypothermia, not a cold. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Singer, song writer, John Prine was taken by the virus recently.

Johnny Cash, in his autobiography 'Cash' (2003), wrote, "I don't listen to music much at the farm, unless I'm going into songwriting mode and looking for inspiration. Then I'll put on something by the writers I've admired and used for years — Rodney Crowell, John Prine, Guy Clark, and the late Steve Goodman are my Big Four".  

In 2018, Prine had a major comeback album, "The Tree of Forgiveness", with new songs that hadn't been written and performed for 13 years. Reached number 5 on the top 200 charts, the best he ever achieved.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

47sawdust

Swampdonkey,
 John Prine....what a genius. Some of the funniest and most heartfelt music ever written.I've always been in awe of how one man has those lyrics in his head.Johnny Cash's list is right on the money in my book.
 Thanks for bringing it up.
 Blessings to all of you,
 47sawdust
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Resonator

When I die let my ashes float down the Green River
Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam
I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin'
Just five miles away from wherever I am.

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenburg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well I'm sorry my son, but your too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train just hauled it away.

Paradise - Recorded by The Seldom Scene, Jim and Jesse, and many other Bluegrass bands.
Written by John Prine, may he rest in peace.

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Resonator on April 09, 2020, 05:25:23 PM
When I die let my ashes float down the Green River
Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam
I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin'
Just five miles away from wherever I am.

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenburg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well I'm sorry my son, but your too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train just hauled it away.

Paradise - Recorded by The Seldom Scene, Jim and Jesse, and many other Bluegrass bands.
Written by John Prine, may he rest in peace.
One of my favorite tunes recorded so nicely by so many and I never tire of hearing it. I never met John, but I have some common friends with him and they are all extremely saddened at the loss of such a giant of a writer and performer. This virus is taking it's toll and we have a ways to travel yet.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doctorb

John Prine-

I've seen him in person twice, and listened intently to his homespun lyrics of the intensity and stress, and joy, of everyday life.  An amazing mind in a gifted individual.  I will miss him greatly.

trapper

Do current tests tell if a person has had the virus and recovered?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SwampDonkey

Seems to me, I just heard/read that there is no test for that, yet. Have no completed clinical trial on it yet.

Apparently,  a large sample of Icelandic infections revealed that 50% of the positive cases had no symptoms at all. That leads me to wonder if a portion was false positive to. So I would not draw conclusions.

doc henderson

still being developed and tested.  each type of virus has markers on the outer membrane.  this how they can be classified, and some are in the same family.  there as you know are many viruses in the coronavirus group.  most cause the common cold.  the rapid pcr tests pick up several other corona viruses but not the C19.  so the nasal swab is looking for antigen to the C19 so it has to be made to antigens specific to C19.  the current test is to detect virus, and after you clear it and are negative, then you are no longer contagious.  so if you test a  person and they are negative on this test, you either had it and cleared it, or have never had it.  The blood test being developed is looking for the antibodies that shows that you have had it and have immunity (we presume) to the virus.  So you could in theory go back out in public with little risk to you and others around you.  Some people carry the virus for a prolonged period, so we may need to do both in the short term to make sure you are not a prolonged carrier.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

It can be tricky for other reasons, such as, what if you are found to antibodies to C19 and it cross references to other corona viruses.  you would be falsely reassured.  do the antibodies measure, also confer immunity.  We often have to look at the type of antibody.  IgA primarily protects surfaces.  IgG and IgM are in the blood (serum).  There are memory cells that will watch for the infective agent (using the antibody) and will respond quickly if re-infected.  If the virus mutates again, may need to start over if it is changed enough to not be recognized.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

so an antibiotic is something (medication)  your doc can give to fight bacterial infections.  and antibody is what your body's immune system makes to fight infection.  the antigen is the marker on cell walls (virus, bacteria, cancer cells) that tell your immune system that it is a foreign material, and what the immune system reacts to, and makes antibodies against.

brianJ

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 10, 2020, 11:51:20 AM
Seems to me, I just heard/read that there is no test for that, yet. Have no completed clinical trial on it yet.

Apparently,  a large sample of Icelandic infections revealed that 50% of the positive cases had no symptoms at all. That leads me to wonder if a portion was false positive to. So I would not draw conclusions.
I read that article too.     Made me think there needs to be a way to loosen the quarantine a little at a time so young or middle aged people without health issues can  develop immunity to it

SwampDonkey

So far here in New Brunswick we have 112 known cases, I think 3 are in intensive care (only 10 were hospitalized at some point), we have 60 recovered and no deaths so far. NS has close to 4 times the cases and 2 deaths. I don't see those recovery numbers on the JHU site. I think we have been doing good so far, and we are the poorest province in the county. I have not heard of any cases in my county nor the one to the north of it.

N.B. COVID-19 roundup: Province sees 1 new case of COVID-19, recoveries reach 60 | CBC News

SwampDonkey

Just reading today that South Korea had 91 cases of reinfection. That could mean they were not completely over it to. No conclusions yet.

Hilltop366

Swampdonkey looks like New Brunswick is doing a very good job there, population density probably has a lot to do with the the extra cases in Nova Scotia as well as the extra 200,000 people, Find it interesting to see the difference in infection rate and population.

Up until recently almost all the confirmed cases of covid19 in Nova Scotia were returning travellers or people in close contact with them but over the last week or so there has been more community spread. The map reporting the cases divides the province into 4 areas Map Western, Northern, Eastern and Central.

The geographically smallest area Central part has about ½ of the provinces 970,000 population and about ¾ of the confirmed cases.

I'm happy to say I live in the Western area near the Southern tip of the province. (far left on the map)

I did read the other day that the two biggest causes of Corona Virus spread were:
(1) Population density.
(2) population density.

Thank You Sponsors!