iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Container Kiln Video

Started by YellowHammer, April 20, 2020, 08:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 28, 2020, 01:07:14 PM
...when I do a slow cool down, which amounts to nothing more than turning everything off for the next day.  So the wood just sits there, hot, and they cools real slowly...

Do you open the vents to let the warmth escape on its own (not forced)?  I've done like you have, turn everything off and leave the kiln closed for a day or two. After 24 hrs its still over 100ºF in my kiln. On the second day its still about 85ºF. The last batch of firewood after sitting in the kiln for a week shut down still 'talked back' :) even as we were tossing it in the back of the trailer.

YellowHammer

Since I'm cycling my kilns relatively quickly, I won't let the cool down extend more than the next workday, when the load has to come down and the next load goes in.

Its real important in the initial cooling period from the high temperatures, not to vent too fast, because that in effect continues the drying process, as opposed to letting the wood sweat and equalize.

Unfortunately, a lot of what I do is from from experience, doing it hundreds of times, every week, and knowing the species of wood and its tendency to warp and otherwise misbehave.  What I would do with poplar isn't what I would do with cherry or walnut.  Each species is different, behaves differently, can be dried differently, and some can be handled aggressively, some must be babied.     
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

boonesyard

Picked up some granite slabs for weight  :). I think I grabbed enough  8).

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

jbjbuild

Thanks for the video, very informative!
Jeff
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

YellowHammer

JB, thanks.

Boonesyard, those weights ought to do it.  The more the better.  Once you start using them, you'll never go back.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!