Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: PoginyHill on May 14, 2021, 07:39:52 AM
Quote from: Iwawoodwork on May 13, 2021, 09:10:01 PM
Stronger yet would be a gusset of 2" strap on edge welded underneath from end to end leaving enough room for hitch clearance.
I have considered this. The weakest point of the original piece is the bend closest to the tractor. With that addressed, the next point would be the bend near the hitch. The question then is, will I have enough tongue weight to bend the 1-1/2"X2-1/2" bar with a lever arm of about 5" (distance from bend to center of hitch hole. I am thinking no, but I'll keep a close eye and will do as you suggest if I see any indication of deformation.
I'd make one big gusset along the whole thing out of 1/4 
A1

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Looks pretty interesting and handy. Nice job 👍

mike_belben

Its strangely constructed because it started as a tiny firewood dumper for a quad when i had no material and had a job busting wood in a beef pasture, 4yr old son in tow.  

It has sprawled out from there and tripled in payload while still being convertible back to the little dumper wagon. That tailgate extension comes off and donut wheels flipped in make it small enough to get into a wood shed.  Lot of compromises to keep the convertability intact but make it strong enough.   I'll make a tipper box eventually too for dirt and stone.
Praise The Lord

g_man

Mike your posts are more entertaining than the old Rube Goldberg cartoons. I love the stuff you put together,

gg

Crusarius

I would love to make a nice combo dumping box. so it can dump 3 ways

thecfarm

I have seen those combos at a show.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Mike you need to whip up a "cable jammer" loader out of an old rear end like used to be used a lot around here. Powered by the pto on your tractor, you could even make it a cable operated dump.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Quote from: g_man on May 16, 2021, 05:48:42 PM
Mike your posts are more entertaining than the old Rube Goldberg cartoons. I love the stuff you put together,

gg
Id like to think my contraptions are a little more simplistic despite being pure scrap metal!  Rube goldberg.. Ooof.. Right in the gut!   ;D :D

Youd really like some of the adventures i went on to get half this stuff. The puerto ricans at the scrap yard used to call me casper because i was the white ghost.. Id just pop out of a hole in a 3 story scrap mountain then disappear back into it.  

The boom on this is one of many telescoping uprights i cut off a 9 car stacker transporter trailer with a labounty excavator sheap.

Trailer needs some tweaking but it works.  Used it on a job today.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: barbender on May 16, 2021, 09:40:52 PM
Mike you need to whip up a "cable jammer" loader out of an old rear end like used to be used a lot around here. Powered by the pto on your tractor, you could even make it a cable operated dump.
I just might! Electric winch stinks for fetching wood. But it did work excellent for redirecting trees off a garage today, and its great for rigging up beams or trusses off a jin pole and stuff like that where control in both directions is important. so its still a good attachment that ive got more planned for.

I sketched up a 2 spool pto winch rig that will be much better for cable logging but its a whole other project for when my lathe and bridgeports are here if i still want one by then.  That will use a rear diff to drive left and right cable drums fast.  And probably a hydraulic grapple loader trailer.  I built this as a get by for now with what i got. 

Next thing has to be firewood processor.  Im starting to have log piles all over. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

There's a lot of jammers laying in the weeds up here, truck mounted ones moved a lot of wood to the mills. There were both factory and home made ones. I think they were also popular in the south (a different lineage I think but they ended up with a similar machine, a convergent evolution😊) where the short log pulpers used them. 

I very much look forward to what you come up with for a firewood processor. If I had more time available, I would've liked to have built one myself. Using the stroke of the splitting cylinder to also feed the log forward, use a chainsaw for the cutoff for simplicity. Even a dead deck and a hookeroon would work decent if your logs aren't too big.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Ive seen the pto cable side throwers on youtube.. I know they were common southern junk. Not seen a crane style yet.. Link me an example of the type common up there. Im curious now
Praise The Lord

g_man

Quote from: mike_belben on May 16, 2021, 10:20:08 PM
Quote from: g_man on May 16, 2021, 05:48:42 PM

gg
Id like to think my contraptions are a little more simplistic despite being pure scrap metal!  Rube goldberg.. Ooof.. Right in the gut!   ;D :D

Not meant that way of course - I have nothing  but respect for your ability and ingenuity.

gg

Ed_K

I built a small one using a hay elevator an my wood splitter. Mounted the elevator over the splitter, turned the chain around to pull a log down, put a handle onto the sprocket to turn the chain and move the log down to a chain hanging down at 16" had a holder made to bolt to the side of the elevator and onto a 24" bar on a chainsaw. Cut off a chunk it dropped down onto the table of my splitter. Worked good but was hard work to get a cord an hour.
Ed K

mike_belben

You got pics ed?

I know gman im just ribbin ya.  Its not the first time ive been associated with RG.  The skidding attachment is one of my dumber looking contraptions because ive been running out of certain metal and money, and really needed to cable logs so looks took a back seat.  Plus none of it was drawn out on this one.  I just started gluing.  Thats always a recipe for hokey junk.  
Praise The Lord

caveman

I enjoy seeing all the contraptions y'all come up with.

One of my seniors, who will be graduating in a week or so, is building a bracket to add an air compressor to his jeep.  They already installed a 5 cylinder turbo charged Mercedes diesel.  It looks factory clean including the SS exhaust.

This is the bracket he finished in class this morning. There are tensioner brackets that come up through the slots. The young man has some tremendous design skills.  His welding is coming along but he still has some work in that department.

Caveman

Tacotodd

@caveman it looks good to me. It's just amazing to me (always has been) how well a grinder can clean up (even if questionable) a weld. At least it did when for the short period of time that I worked in a 4X4 shop that we often had to fabricate things.
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

om617 mercedes?  good engine.. did he use an AX15 or is an automatic adapter out there now?

tell him keep a spray bottle of water for the compressor.  i turned the one on my cherokee into an air compressor and they get hot.  it will boil water every few seconds at higher pressures.  if not cooled periodically itll seize.  granted i was running it a lot to power a diaphragm pump for collecting waste vegetable oil. 
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

It must have been for refills of the tank for the engine "food"  ;D
Trying harder everyday.

caveman

OM617 A through a Doom's Day adapter to a nv3550 5speed transmission out of a 4.0 Wrangler.
Caveman

Tacotodd

That combination sounds like a winner to me, but it's gonna real short shaft with a 5sp and dsl. But still, fun nonetheless.
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on May 17, 2021, 12:20:16 PM
@caveman it looks good to me. It's just amazing to me (always has been) how well a grinder can clean up (even if questionable) a weld. At least it did when for the short period of time that I worked in a 4X4 shop that we often had to fabricate things.
Grinder n paint make you the welder you aint
A1

Tacotodd

Luckily, I never claimed to be a welder. The boss did that. There was only us 2, so... :D
Trying harder everyday.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 17, 2021, 07:01:33 PM
Quote from: Tacotodd on May 17, 2021, 12:20:16 PM
Grinder n paint make you the welder you aint
Nothing wrong with that as long as your welding has good penetration 

Thank You Sponsors!