iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing

Started by YellowHammer, December 27, 2016, 01:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Oh, I get it now.  Yeah that would be a good sequence.  I'll have to try it myself!  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jasonb

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 15, 2022, 01:21:09 PMI'll have to try it myself!

It takes steps to save steps.

I've read that somewhere before.
HM122

YellowHammer

:D
I'm always learning and looking for new and better ways to do things.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

flatrock58

I love quarter sawn oak personally but it does not sell as well as rift sawn wood around here these days. So I just square up the big oak logs and cut them into 3 ~8" sections. The outside two I just cut from top to bottom and get rift and qs. The middle section I cut out the pith and cut all qs. 
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

YellowHammer

That's interesting, I have started selling rift white oak as well, which I never used to do.

When I talked to a wholesaler buddy of mine about a year ago about it, (yes I have a buddy :D) he said that rift sawn was more expensive and higher demand than Qsawn and he couldn't keep it in stock.  He is the owner of the second largest lumber distributer in the South United States, and isn't prone to exaggeration.  He had QS in stock but no rift sawn.  

I can understand it being used for barrel staves, and I still sell more Qsawn than rift to furniture makers, but he tells the truth and I'm still trying to figure out the market for rift sawn.

Who is using rift sawn and for what in large enough quantities to outsell and out demand Qsawn, and buying it at a significantly higher wholesale price?

At that time, QSWO was wholesale $7 and the Rift WO was $10, which is a huge difference.  

YellowHammerisms:

Magicman

Back in the 80's, I had a cabinet shop which was before portable sawmills were even invented and ~15 years before I owned one.  

I preferred flat sawn for front and top stock and rift for legs.  I had no idea what those rays were and actually tried to sand those "defects" out.  I still love to see a good cathedral pattern board.  Especially one that is sawn from either the hump or horn face of a log and the pattern runs out and then picks back up.

To me too much QS can make the piece too "busy" and can distract from some furniture's beauty.

I have one customer (that I sawed for last month) that does not want even one board that is not QS, making him 100% QS.  There are others that want maximum yield and will figure out something to do with those "squirrely" boards.

In February of this year I watched another customer look at this Red Oak board and send it to the burn pile.  I intended to retrieve it before I left, but forgot.

Lumber is not a "one size fit's all".

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Around here just the opposite, quarter sawn brings higher dollars.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

KenMac

Personally I think QS is more specialized for use in Mission or Arts and Craft styles of furniture. I really don't know if those styles are still as popular as they once were or not. Rift sawn makes perfect stiles and rails in cabinet face frames so the panels can be the attraction wood. Perfect cabinet door to me would be rift sawn stiles and rails and flat sawn cathedral grain panels. I agree with MM on this one.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

jimF

thanks for the link Doc

Thank You Sponsors!