iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Personal projects

Started by kiko, February 25, 2015, 01:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

Seems like i will never get them done. This is the current one.  6.0 Powerstroke resurrection.  This truck has not run in almost three years , but I finally got to it. 

barbender

That's a nice clean shop ;) 
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

Where is all the rust?  We don't get to work on much stuff around here without the magic heat wrench and lots of rust.  I do like working in a clean & orderly shop.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Firewoodjoe

I have "projects" stacking up. Two old Chevy trucks. My little crawler. Boiler build. Ugh. And my shop completetion is first on the list this spring. Adding on first then cement wiring Heat. The hole nine yards. Or 30 yards haha. Concrete anyways. Good luck on the truck. I've heard a lot of problems with those things.

bushmechanic

Is it going to be a shop truck or a personal one? They are not as bad an engine as people say. About a couple of months ago I put a number five injector in a E-450 van, now that was no fun at all, no room to work and I think I had every wrench out of the toolbox. Come to think about it I lost my 12 mm stubby wrench at it. Good luck with the project.

thechknhwk

I wish I had the ability to do what you're up to.  I'd like to put an egr delete and a new muffler on my duramax, and maybe reprogram the ECU.  The mileage has not been so impressive this winter, partly due to a remote starter and short trips to work.

Southside

thechknhwk

For $60 you can "block and stick" the egr with a plate and finger stick, just route the coolant hose from the firewall directly to the thermostat housing and your soot eating days are behind you.  Had mine like that for around 200,000 miles now and it runs sweet. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thechknhwk

Don't mean to get too far off topic, but does it make the check engine light come on?

so il logger

The 6.0 isn't a bad engine. I had trouble with head bolt stretch and gasket..etc. But it wasn't stock ford fuel systems and probably drove kinda hard ;D

jcbrotz

Quote from: thechknhwk on February 26, 2015, 12:49:06 AM
Don't mean to get too far off topic, but does it make the check engine light come on?

Nope that's what the fingerstick is for. been awhile so don't remember the specifics but it make the computer think its happy. google fingerstick duramax.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

kiko

This was my work truck at one point in time.  I put almost 300k on it before the engine croaked.  When i tore the engine down it was the first time the heads had been off this engine.  A cam follower failed , droopped the needle bearings in the sump and wiped out the low pressure oil pump.  Had the crank polished, block bored. rods fitted, new pistons, new heads, new injectors, new hpop, new oil cooler, new injector harness and I not done yet.  A new 250 like this one stickers about 62k so i can afford to get this one back to going.

snowstorm

i assume you threw the egr cooler in the dumpster. the f250 i had with the 6.0 they replaced the engine wirring harness under warranty. the 6.0 in my 550 the egr cooler got tossed in the dumpster. other than a fuel pump and a ficm its been pretty good

bushmechanic

Kiko I envy you southern guy's. If that truck was here on the east coast of Canada it would be ready for the bone yard about now. We get about 10 years out of a truck and then the rustie's just eat the crap out of it. I just got a 2008 2500 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins in it and I bought it in Ontario and had it shipped down because here a truck that age is like an anchor. It would be some nice to work on something where I could unbolt the parts rather than torching stuff off. Hey any chance you need another mechanic where you work!

kiko

Bush mechanic,  all jokes aside, I am looking for a competent mechanic currently.  How soon can u get here.  I have been turning down work left and right because there are only two of us left.  Lots of people looking for work but none have been right for my outfit. 

kderby

Good time of year to visit the south.  Especially if you are from the north!

Dom

Quote from: bushmechanic on February 26, 2015, 05:49:19 PM
Kiko I envy you southern guy's. If that truck was here on the east coast of Canada it would be ready for the bone yard about now. We get about 10 years out of a truck and then the rustie's just eat the crap out of it. I just got a 2008 2500 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins in it and I bought it in Ontario and had it shipped down because here a truck that age is like an anchor. It would be some nice to work on something where I could unbolt the parts rather than torching stuff off. Hey any chance you need another mechanic where you work!

:D

One of the reasons I'd much rather work on tractors than cars or trucks is tractors usually haven't been exposed to salt and are not as rusty. I have a 2006 Tacoma that the prior owner kept in a garage, its holding on well, but I expect to start getting familiar with the torch again.

1270d

Logger's trucks have a habit of looking very, as the windshield installer called one of our work trucks, "humble".   Especially here in the center of the rust belt.   I think there is a good reason they called crummies in the west. 

They may even get abused on occasion.   I can confirm that an f250 will pull a 53 ft equipment trailer if necessary, or a slightly stuck 160000 lb log truck.

kiko

My brother in law attended grad school in Connecticut .  He took a F 150 that had seen a lot of farm use and the underside had all the coating rubbed off from driving through the fields.  Two years later that truck was done for,  even replacing brake pads was an ordeal.  I am thankful I don't have to deal with the rust issue.  Also my late grandfather was a trader so to speak.  He would collect hile mileage cars and truck them north and return with a load of low mile engines.  Also met a man from Canada, his business card refered to him as the "The Southern Man". He was looking to purchase beds cabs and body panels for Chevy pickups .  Sounds like he had a market.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

bushmechanic

A market you say, I think that guy has a booming business in Nova Scotia with truck boxes. I have a 2004 1500 Dodge Ram quad cab with 8 foot box, I recently gave up on it because the darn thing is full of holes. It has rusted out in the rocker panels, over the rear wheel wells, rear bumper, door catches seized up, cable for the spare tire.... it's all gone. Not only do we use salt and calcium culoride on our roads we have it in the air from the North Atlantic, nothing lasts here. Maybe that's why I like forestry gear away from all that. I would love to come down Kiko and go to work there but I wouldn't be able to get the wife to leave here as we both have elderly parents, too bad cause my youngest daughter is finishing school this year. Well gotta run my buddie has a 1010D with an engine sputter to look at. 

kiko

Bushmechanic,  for reasons similar i have to stay put as well.  Not much road salt here,  but I will be wishing i was further north come July and August.  Project puzzle is slowly coming along.  I said this truck went down 3 years ago, forgot to mention that i also removed the engine out of the front and tore it down three years ago.  Pics of progress....   turbo variable vanes clean up and top side of engine.

bonds007

Looks like one of those rexroth pumps in the background.
I have an 05 f350 6.0 myself, having some sporadic skipping issues with it. I think the EGR, maybe injectors. Has 180,000 on it so i think has had new injectors by now.
Personal projects always take time....I am a General Contractor....my house will probably never be done... :D

kiko

Steady progress....   missing one idler pulley that is apparently ford only then the cab can go back on.

tantoy

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

kiko

Thanks tantoy,  it is work to keep it that way.

Thank You Sponsors!